Quantcast

Mushroom(rant - surprise I know)

J

JRB

So the mom-in-law is always making casseroles and bringing them over. Julie and myself have a great deal of disdain towards mushrooms, be they fried, sauteed, or included in other dishes. We just don't like them. They are real close to olives for me and I don't like the flavor or the texture. Some folks do, I don't. So why must people include them in a dish for people they know don't like them??? "They give it flavor," she says. I don't like the phucking flavor. Schit. When will they get it??? I like nothing about them. STOP MAKING ME SCHIT WITH THEM IN IT! :mumble: Anyone else share this sentiment??? :D

Rant off

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Yes.

I like to eat very "un-american" if you will ... I eat many meals a day, with a semi-small dinner...

and my parents can't grasp the concept why I dont want to eat a big bowl of spaghetti or noodles, or fatty-assed hamburger chunks 2 hours before bed.

I feel your pain. I can't wait to leave the house again.

J

JRB

BigHit-Maniac said:
Yes.

I like to eat very "un-american" if you will ... I eat many meals a day, with a semi-small dinner...

and my parents can't grasp the concept why I dont want to eat a big bowl of spaghetti or noodles, or fatty-assed hamburger chunks 2 hours before bed.

I feel your pain. I can't wait to leave the house again.

She brings it to my house.

You are right Toshi. Just wish she would bring it without the shrooms.

J

JRB

quadricolour said:
Mushrooms are good, what's wrong with you? They add flavor!

Do not try to bring mushroom logic into my thread. I don't like them. :angry:

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
loco-gringo said:
They are real close to olives for me and I don't like the flavor or the texture.
Did you know that we actually have a 5th sense of taste? Called "Umami", our tongues detect certain amino acids, which mushrooms are loaded with, and is often described as a "meaty" flavor. If you don't like the flavor of shrooms, you may also dislike certain cheeses, fish, fermented soy products, fresh tomatos, caesar salad dressing, etc, all of which contain amino acids that our tongues can taste, ensuring that we eat a balanced diet.

Anyway, did I mention that...mushrooms are damned tasty! :p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
mmmmmmm i love mushrooms, however i am not a fan of caseroles so i feel your pain. they are about all my mom can cook, so she leaves the cooking up to me.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
iron chef had the maitake battle last night.

looked great. i wanna be a taster. waaahhh!!!!!

i started to watch that, it looked so good. then i fell asleep. i always do that during iron chef. it comes on too close to my bedtime.

J

JRB

laura said:
i started to watch that, it looked so good. then i fell asleep. i always do that during iron chef. it comes on too close to my bedtime.

For me, if that's all that is on, it's bed time. ;)

J

JRB

laura said:
not surprising since it takes culinary genious to appreciate iron chef.
:p

Well - I am certainly short of genius regardless of the capacity it is used in. :D

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Don't write them all off, l-g. There are a couple varieties out there that are really quite nice- psilocybe cubensis and psilocybe cyanisis both have been known to really spice up a pizza, a pot of chili or pasta sauce. It is a taste that grows on you, particularly after the first hour or so...

J

JRB

llkoolkeg said:
Don't write them all off, l-g. There are a couple varieties out there that are really quite nice- psilocybe cubensis and psilocybe cyanisis both have been known to really spice up a pizza, a pot of chili or pasta sauce. It is a taste that grows on you, particularly after the first hour or so...

What's worse bro is that most that make you see melting rainbows, well, they grow in the poop you know. :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
loco-gringo said:
What's worse bro is that most that make you see melting rainbows, well, they grow in the poop you know. :nope:
Well, where exactly did you think the flavor came from?(edit- dammit laura! :p ) I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but lots of vegetables are also grown in cow poop. If you ever decide to grow a garden, you will learn that cow, steer, worm, bat, etc. poop is just the greatest thing for healthy proceeds. :thumb:

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
laura said:
not surprising since it takes culinary genious to appreciate iron chef.
:p
Bam! :p

loco-gringo said:
they grow in the poop you know. :nope:
My favorite shrooms, oyster and ****ake, grow on trees or are raised in tree substrates usually. But manure is a much better fertilizer than the artificial variety, just about anything will "grow in the poop".

Yum.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I just don't trust anyone who doesn't like mushrooms. That's just downright un-american! My GF hates mushrooms (I must really really love her, to have to put up with a mushroom hater) and is a commie pinko to boot!

They are so yummy and tasty good. Fried up for breakfast, or just plain raw! :thumb:

As for why your mother in law does this to you.. well.. she IS a mother in law, they are supposed to be eeeeevil like that. Maybe she just likes to see you rant and rage.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Tell people that you'r allergic to them (every time you eat them you have to puke your guts out), problem solved.

I don't like 2 common things... Mushrooms, olives and Tomatoes, I was so sick of getting them on food at resturaunts because I just said, "no mushrooms or no tomatoes" so I started saying I was allergic to them, i.e. "please take those off, I'm allergic". From then on I have, only on rare occasion, had mushrooms, olives or tomatoes put on my food.

J

JRB

Sandwich said:
badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM...

nobody came up with this yet?

I don't really mind badgers, but they seem awfully mean to be a pet or something. Are you saying you having a missing badger named MUSHROOM??? I'm lost.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
Tell people that you'r allergic to them (every time you eat them you have to puke your guts out), problem solved.

I don't like 2 common things... Mushrooms, olives and Tomatoes, I was so sick of getting them on food at resturaunts because I just said, "no mushrooms or no tomatoes" so I started saying I was allergic to them, i.e. "please take those off, I'm allergic". From then on I have, only on rare occasion, had mushrooms, olives or tomatoes put on my food.

Tomatoes I don't mind. I'm wif ya on the mushrooms and olives as you have already read. I swear off of places that put them on when I ask to not have them. The olives were a surprise a few weeks ago since I never figured they would be in with sauteed vegetables. I mean, they are NOT a phucking vegetable to me anyhow. And to sautee them, ewwww.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco-gringo said:
Not the ones I eat... they grow in a controlled environment. In truth they are pretty nasty, but they do well on a hamburger, a pizza, whatever. Lately my favorite method is to buy a tube of cookie dough and roll it up into little dough balls with a mushroom surprise inside.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
Not the ones I eat... they grow in a controlled environment. In truth they are pretty nasty, but they do well on a hamburger, a pizza, whatever. Lately my favorite method is to buy a tube of cookie dough and roll it up into little dough balls with a mushroom surprise inside.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco-gringo said:
Tomatoes I don't mind. I'm wif ya on the mushrooms and olives as you have already read. I swear off of places that put them on when I ask to not have them. The olives were a surprise a few weeks ago since I never figured they would be in with sauteed vegetables. I mean, they are NOT a phucking vegetable to me anyhow. And to sautee them, ewwww.
Dude, do the allergy thing. If they mess up and you take a bite and then realize they are in there, get mildly upset... you'll get a free meal :D