Quantcast

Musical chair game 2016 or Teh offseason prophecy

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
The latest trend of announcing "One last season, then I'm retiring" is somewhat annoying (Jeter, Kobe, etc.) and statistically a precursor (or excuse) to mediocrity, so I'm surprised that Peaty's gone that route to sell himself short.

I wonder if the Syndicate is going to make a big signing in the off-season now and/or pick up an upcoming Junior now that this is news.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The latest trend of announcing "One last season, then I'm retiring" is somewhat annoying (Jeter, Kobe, etc.) and statistically a precursor (or excuse) to mediocrity, so I'm surprised that Peaty's gone that route to sell himself short.

I wonder if the Syndicate is going to make a big signing in the off-season now and/or pick up an upcoming Junior now that this is news.
Or maybe it'll be his "excuse" to have an old sch00l summer of partying while touring around the globe, while not really caring about trying to win.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Peaty has been off the pace for a couple of years now. Certainly 2015.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Peaty has been off the pace for a couple of years now. Certainly 2015.
It's hard to be on the pace when you're out injured 90% of the year. In 2014, Peat had a WC top 10, and was top 30 for all but one race. While not at the top of the heap, certainly relevant. Oh and he was top 30 in two EWS races that year too. I for one, hope that he has another solid year and gets to leave racing on his own terms (as he of all people deserves).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Geez the Peaty fanboi club is strong. All I'm saying is that the past couple of years, peaty has been finishing well lower than the consistent top 10 and better of years past... for many reasons. Good time to hang it up.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So what you are saying is in world cup DH competition he's still a threat for a podium finish, is consistently a top 25 rider and has been in the top 10 a few times over the last few years?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Pffft, who couldn't do that? Word is the UCI will allow the dottering old fool to use training wheels and a bar mounted Garmin so he won't get lost on the way down. It's also been rumored that SCB has hired Nancy Reagan to help take care of ol'Pitiful Peat since she's had so much experience propping up bumbling seniors. If true, the Nancy & Kathy interaction could be entertaining.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Awww... peaty is retiring from DH.

The next crushing news is that he'll be switching to enduro. That's why he announced early. He realized his fans wouldn't be able to take the news, so he gave them a year to calm down.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Why so much hate?? There will never be another Peaty, Living Legend.
There are 5 or 6 guys in the world that aren't off the pace.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If I raced, I probably could at this point! :P
Totally.

Come on. He's literally the only guy still competing (yes competitively) at that level that has been doing it since the existence of downhill racing. Plus he's a down to earth personable guy who'd been a pretty good ambassador for this sport that whole time. And he's now quitting. That kind of sucks. In many ways because it further signals the evolution of dh from the rowdy party boy with talent 90s, to the inevitable AMA supercross souless podium robot.

End of an era with that guy leaving. You know I'm no gushing fan boi of anyone. But I can at least see some significance in this particular retirement.

Anyway......I hope it at least means he makes into some announcing booths. That guy literally knows everyone, and everything in dh.