Quantcast

Musical chair game 2016 or Teh offseason prophecy

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
FWIW, a poster on Vital indicated that Fox works *directly* with Gwin and therefore isn't considered a team sponsor per se.

It's probably similar to my relationship with Guerrilla Gravity - I give them money, and they work directly with me. I'm factory as fuck.
Sounds pretty fuckin factory! I bet he's got a key and just walks in there and loads up the back of his raptor with 40s. One per race

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Since the whole chainless/tireless runs it would appear that Gwin doesn't care much for accruing big name sponsors for either of these components.

Plus, no one is going to make the joke that Gwin is literally going to be riding with an Angel on his shoulder this year?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm wondering if he or his management did something to piss off the major sponsors?

Edit: My bad he is at the bottom of the fox sponsor page.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm wondering if he or his management did something to piss off the major sponsors?
Like value his own worth higher than most companies spend on whole teams?

Or play instagram guessing games for months?

Or make verbal agreements and then go sign with someone else?

Or, like be really fast on a bike and faster than most everyone else racing right now?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm wondering if it isn't the opposite. I wonder if he's like "these big name companies stuff breaks just as much as the upstarts, I may as well work with the upstarts if they can get shit done quicker than the big guys"...

Like value his own worth higher than most companies spend on whole teams?

Or play instagram guessing games for months?

Or make verbal agreements and then go sign with someone else?

Or, like be really fast on a bike and faster than most everyone else racing right now?
I know it's like an hour of verbiage if you listen to both the Vital and PB interviews, but I put it on as background noise and tuned in when it sounded like something interesting was being said...

regarding the instagram games for months, he said that contractually he wasn't allowed to talk to anyone officially until after December 31st... so essentially he built his team from the ground up in 5 weeks. FWIW, I think that's a fair point...

And re verbal agreements, he's back to working with Whitey, so feelings must not have been hurt that bad if that's the case...

I also found it interesting about his origins in mtb. He lived the dirtbag life, and gave up a lot and worked hard to get into DH... I always thought he was a johnny-come-lately where some people gave him a bike to ride, he kicked ass and the rest was (fairy-tale) history. But it seems there was a lot more work and sacrifice involved.... I think my respect for him went up after all this... not less.

Not everyone is going to end up in a team like Santa Cruz where everything and everyone gels (though it probably took the Syndicate a while to get there). I hope Aaron winds up with a structure that works for him over time.... all this drama does no one any good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
interesting to see onza tires and trp brakes. i wonder what they will bring to the table. the ibex is an interesting looking tire and trp makes brakes, so I'm anxious to see how they hold up to the big dudes or to sharpies.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I know it's like an hour of verbiage if you listen to both the Vital and PB interviews, but I put it on as background noise and tuned in when it sounded like something interesting was being said...

regarding the instagram games for months, he said that contractually he wasn't allowed to talk to anyone officially until after December 31st... so essentially he built his team from the ground up in 5 weeks. FWIW, I think that's a fair point...

And re verbal agreements, he's back to working with Whitey, so feelings must not have been hurt that bad if that's the case...

I also found it interesting about his origins in mtb. He lived the dirtbag life, and gave up a lot and worked hard to get into DH... I always thought he was a johnny-come-lately where some people gave him a bike to ride, he kicked ass and the rest was (fairy-tale) history. But it seems there was a lot more work and sacrifice involved.... I think my respect for him went up after all this... not less.

Not everyone is going to end up in a team like Santa Cruz where everything and everyone gels (though it probably took the Syndicate a while to get there). I hope Aaron winds up with a structure that works for him over time.... all this drama does no one any good.
I listened to parts of the interview. I'm still a Gwin fan, but this is the internet, we're allowed to take a few jabs aren't we?

As for the instagram games, Why not just skip all the teasers and the wish I could announce who I was with and all the other crap and just leave it alone and train hard and appease your followers and fans and future sponsors with pics of you at the gym, or out for a run or whatever?

The rest of my post is pretty much just sarcastic internet fun. I don't care about verbal agreements, they don't mean anything and I don't blame Gwin for following the money and making what he can in the sport.

I like you, respect all of these guys and their ability to make it to the top. Regardless of how they got there, it take s a lot of work to stay there anymore.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I'm pretty sure there's going to be plenty of sharpied parts on his race rig. Gwin's a monster, but let's get real... Ching chong brakes & ding dang tires... not befitting for the fastest downhiller on the planet.

Props to him though for chasing the skrilla. No shame in that and I can't believe people are calling him "selfish" on other channels. Dude earned it and should rightfully capitalize on his maximum earning potential while he's young.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
So capn' 'murica will be racing on a German frame made in Taiwan, with Taiwanese brakes, English handlebars and unknown tires. Good thing he kept the star spangled banner in the suspension, wheels and gearing stuff.

There'a quote on PB's article about him wanting special ed to make significant changes to his previous bike and then having pretty much the same numbers he asked for in the Tues. I don't know how how veritable that statement is, but I hope he feels more comfortable on the new steed.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Buddy of mine runs TRP brakes. He likes them and has never complained about maintenance on them. He's fast and a good mechanic so I take his word for it. Sample size of 1 though.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
what! YT has more money and can afford gwin than specialized? something fishy..maybe the vatican connection. Jesus and angel.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Direct to consumer has much lower costs then a dealer model (don't have to carry the cost of dealer terms and defaults, smaller/no commissioned sales staff, no freight discounts etc). The trick is getting enough sales volume. If you've figured out how to do that you could do well.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Not sure all the skepticism of Onza tires here is justified. They're currently made at CST using the same compounds and casing materials that go into the tires of Maxxis, Specialized, Bontrager, etc.

Onza actually got CST to build some tires using tech that Maxxis only followed with later and Specialized still doesn't do. If they're willing to work with Gwin on the treads that he wants (and has a good idea of what treads work for him) then he should be plenty well set on the tire side of things. Not that the current treads are horrible. Maybe he's already happy with them.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Looks likewe will get another DHF or Bontrager G5 rip off. Personally I don't mind.:thumb:
In other news, I just find out that Gwin was born on the 24th of December. The name "Rock Jesus" got really a new dimension for me right now.:D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can imagine how the negotiations between Martin Whiteley and Gwin went.

AG: Hey Martin, Speci didn't want me to pay what I am worth.
MW: Don't worry, I am building a new team right now. YT supplies the frames and I have a title sponsor with endless deep pockets.
AG: The catholic church?
MW: No, although we were close to signing a LOI. Working names of the team were "BCT: Buddy Christ Team" or "CatWoT: Catholicism Wow Team". However, they insisted on that we don't race on Sunday's, so we couldn't come to an agreement. But don't worry, I got a title sponsor that is as rich as the catholic church: the mob!
AG: I am not sure about this.
MW: But I got you an angel as team mate, how does that sound?
AG: Where do I sign?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Interviewing myself after the Gwin on YT press release.

Me - Hello Mr. Cat (that's my avatar) - Exciting News today, hmmm?
Other Me - what happened, OJ admit to killing Ron Goldman and his Wife Nicole?
Me - Noooo,not right now. Aaron Gwin really joined YT, we were not crazy!
Other me - I need a doodle.
Me - you're hilarious. But really, this is the most exciting news of our entire lives!!
Other me - Really? You don;t get out much do you??
Me - Bite me.
Other Me - you'd probably just ask me to do it more, and bite harder. That's your problem: never satisfied with the simple things in life.
Me - can I go now? I'm going to mix a can of Monster and Red Bull then microwave it for 5 minutes. I have a new Coffee Mug from RMSS. Insulated and shit.
Other Me - Kakaias!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
ONZA tires are great. I use them for more than 2 years now. with no problems. they have a great compound and tread.
they roll great, track great, they are lighter then maxxis. (I use the IBEX )
and I get them for better price then maxxis.... :)