Quantcast

Musical chair game 2016 or Teh offseason prophecy

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Onza is a Swiss company that just happens to contract CST to manufacture their tires. So why all this CST talk?
Just a note in case anyone remembers the original onZa... the guys that made bar ends, porcs, the mondo headset and the like. New onZa is not the old onZa... old onZa was sold in the 90s... think it was passed around a bit, and finally resurrected as a swiss company.

Still have very fond memories of the original brand.

1291Onza1.jpg 1291Onza2.jpg

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Just a note in case anyone remembers the original onZa... the guys that made bar ends, porcs, the mondo headset and the like. New onZa is not the old onZa... old onZa was sold in the 90s... think it was passed around a bit, and finally resurrected as a swiss company.

Still have very fond memories of the original brand.

View attachment 121533 View attachment 121534
Hahahah, I remember having those on a GT Zaskar in the mid 90's.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Onza is a Swiss company ...
...that will guarantee Gwin a banking account here in the land of cheese, chocolate and $$$. Bank secrecy, free Ricolas and an Alphorn included.

Oh, and they have the Cern here, which isn't a black hole generator but a secret MTB Tire development labour.
Booyah!

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Does anyone know what drivetrain "knock-offs" Gwin is running that they're referring to?

I guess Sram says their products don't work with other bike products :think:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Not to say we’re unhappy Aaron chose some of our products but in all reality we’re weary that our public perception is in the hands of knock-off products being tested at World Cups.

sounds pretty unhappy to me.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not to say we’re unhappy Aaron chose some of our products but in all reality we’re weary that our public perception is in the hands of knock-off products being tested at World Cups.

It probably has to do with this: http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/08/patent-battles-stans-notubes-holds-their-ground-sram-moves-to-protect-their-x-sync-patents/

Bikerumor said:
When SRAM announced they would be licensing their X-Sync chainring technology to other companies, there was a line at the end that made us wonder. Amidst a flood of competitors offering single chainrings with their own chain retention properties, SRAM simply stated that, “SRAM reserves the right to enforce its intellectual property in all matters relating to X-SYNC.” That was back in 2014. Now two years later, it looks like they might be invoking that right. Thanks to an anonymous tip, we were alerted to three different lawsuits from SRAM for patent infringement against Race Face, Praxis Works, and Wolf Tooth Components. All three cases seem to stem from infringement on SRAM’s U.S. Patent #9,182,027 as well as potentially patent #9,062,758.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

Maybe they fear he can use now chains that don't break right after the start gate.
I think he will always be a bit special regarding his sponsorships. Obviously Sram would have loved to see the guy with Rockshox, Avid and Sram products on the Specialized and now he even ditches the brakes and parts of the drivetrain from Sram.
I can fully understand that they aren't happy. Still, they seem buttheart, to say the least.

Regarding X-Sync:
The DH-guys run a chainguide anyway, so why not using a normal chainring? Also I wondered right from the beginning, why it was so easy for anyone else to sell narrow wide rings. If I would've been Sram, I'd sue anyone of them.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
"We have heard rumours regarding Gwin’s ‘gears’ that we don’t really want to talk about here yet (don’t forget that he has been on Shimano for many years), but we wanted to know what the official word was from SRAM, so we dropped them a line. Here’s what John Dawson (SRAM’s MTB Sports Marketing main man) had to say:"

Uhhhh....hasn't he been on sram brakes and drivetrain for the last two years?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All that whining over a non-sram chainring?

Really?

And people wonder why riders dislike the bike industry right now.
Seriously.

Someone in Sram's marketing department needs to get themselves a clue. Rather than moaning and being negative, here was an opportunity to say something along the lines of, "We have no official agreement with Aaron. I guess he is choosing to run our components where he has no outside contractual obligations." Sram looks awesome as a top-tier racer is CHOOSING to run their products. It's free marketing. I would expect Mr Dawson's bosses to be pretty pissed right about now.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Seriously.

Someone in Sram's marketing department needs to get themselves a clue. Rather than moaning and being negative, here was an opportunity to say something along the lines of, "We have no official agreement with Aaron. I guess he is choosing to run our components where he has no outside contractual obligations." Sram looks awesome as a top-tier racer is CHOOSING to run their products. It's free marketing. I would expect Mr Dawson's bosses to be pretty pissed right about now.
This.

Also, I like how they took the "Well we didn't test it, so it's clearly inferior & must suck" angle -- when in fact, I'm SURE Aaron Gwin did a shit-ton of testing... and ultimately still decided on running a SRAM shifter & rear mech out of pocket.

The marketing/PR guy clearly doesn't "get it", and for sure hasn't ever heard of "taking the high road" -- something they probably teach you in your local junior college marketing course. The salt is real.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This.

Also, I like how they took the "Well we didn't test it, so it's clearly inferior & must suck" angle -- when in fact, I'm SURE Aaron Gwin did a shit-ton of testing... and ultimately still decided on running a SRAM shifter & rear mech out of pocket.

The marketing/PR guy clearly doesn't "get it", and for sure hasn't ever heard of "taking the high road" -- something they probably teach you in your local junior college marketing course. The salt is real.
Seriously!

Who let this guy make a public statement? SRAM PR == amateur hour.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys know who dawson is right? He's not going anywhere.

He knows his stuff too which makes him saying that even more pathetic.

Our goal is to the tell the complete drivetrain story in which performance and reliability is optimized by using all SRAM components. Since we haven’t tested Aaron’s current drivetrain spec I can only guess how it all works together and assume that it’s a performance downgrade.

I'm sure it is their "goal" to tell that "story", I'll give him that. The problem is that the story is bullshit if you honestly believe another chainring doesn't pull your chain on your cassette in a perfectly satisfactory manner :rofl:

He's just scared gwin's going to break another chain and then everyone goes 'ooh aah, sram sucks'
This why you can't spend your life worrying about retards.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Our goal is to the tell the complete drivetrain story in which performance and reliability is optimized by using all SRAM components. Since we haven’t tested Aaron’s current drivetrain spec I can only guess how it all works together and assume that it’s a performance downgrade.

I'm sure it is their "goal" to tell that "story", I'll give him that. The problem is that the story is bullshit if you honestly believe another chainring doesn't pull your chain on your cassette in a perfectly satisfactory manner :rofl:
dawson's creek?

our goal is to sell you as many of our overpriced product as possible

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Telling the story of a drivetrain is just the most amazing marketing-speak.

Pray they tell, what deep lore does that conglomerate-concepted, Taiwanese-manufactured, disposable bicycle component contain? Hella important and true story.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Telling the story of a drivetrain is just the most amazing marketing-speak.

Pray they tell, what deep lore does that conglomerate-concepted, Taiwanese-manufactured, disposable bicycle component contain? Hella deep and true story.
its the kind of thing that Gaylord Strava wants to hear

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
All that whining over a non-sram chainring?

Really?

And people wonder why riders dislike the bike industry right now.
It is no different from a car stealership when they'll show you a shattered disk as an example what will happen to you if you use 3rd party brake rotors or other non-genuine part on their car (that cost 30% of what the stealership would charge you).

This is a sign of a maturing market and plummeting margins IMO.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It is no different from a car stealership when they'll show you a shattered disk as an example what will happen to you if you use 3rd party brake rotors or other non-genuine part on their car
I love that shit. I just got some tires swapped a few weeks ago and the guy comes out and tells me the aftermarket lugnuts (they're not) I have on my truck are about to break the studs off my wheel. I say 'no they're not'. He's all 'I'm scared to do it but we'll have to do it and they're going to break and we'll need to charge you for new studs'

I walk out there, grab the lug nut spider I keep in the back of my truck and loosen 3 of them and then just stare at him for a good 10 seconds before he says anything :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I love that shit. I just got some tires swapped a few weeks ago and the guy comes out and tells me the aftermarket lugnuts (they're not) I have on my truck are about to break the studs off my wheel. I say 'no they're not'. He's all 'I'm scared to do it but we'll have to do it and they're going to break and we'll need to charge you for new studs'

I walk out there, grab the lug nut spider I keep in the back of my truck and loosen 3 of them and then just stare at him for a good 10 seconds before he says anything :rofl:
should have done it in your tighty whiteys

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't forget e.13 has cassettes now too. Not sure about DH specific sizes and whatnot but all he really needs is a shifter, chain, and derailleur. (Unless it's Leogang.)

He should talk to Toby Henderson and get sponsored to run BOX components. Maybe KMC for chains too.

Frankendrivetrain for world domination!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

He's just scared gwin's going to break another chain and then everyone goes 'ooh aah, sram sucks'
This why you can't spend your life worrying about retards.
The best part is how shimano was waving the system integration flag hard when sram was emerging and didn't have all the pieces in place to dominate spec. They argued against the benefits of full systems when all they had were gay-assed special edition plastic grenaderaileurs.

The fact that gwin chose techtro's performance brake over Avid shit (disclaimer: my guides have been solid, surprisingly) is salt in the wound.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The best part is how shimano was waving the system integration flag hard when sram was emerging and didn't have all the pieces in place to dominate spec. They argued against the benefits of full systems hard when all they had were gay-assed special edition plastic grenaderaileurs.
The fact that gwin chose techtro's performance brake over Avid shit (disclaimer: my guides have been solid, surprisingly) is salt in the wound.
I feel for sram. I really do. They did come up with something special with the chain retaining rings, get copied and really did lose some revenue. People have gone fucking ballistic on this site over much shoddier cases when it involves dave weagle or evil. But just don't pretend like the other shit doesn't work or that a rider is somehow in danger when he doesn't use your overpriced over hyped shit. Just be honest. Especially when a chainguide is still necessary.

But yeah I'm with OGR. The former kicked puppy known as e.13/evil looks like they're about to be the one ripping off other people now. O' the times they have a'changed.