Quantcast

Musical chair game 2016 or Teh offseason prophecy

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I feel for sram. I really do. They did come up with something special with the chain retaining rings, get copied and really did lose some revenue.
How many SRAM shares are you holding? :busted:

I give SRAM a lot of credit too. XX-1 was revolutionary IMO. But they had to know it's not a particularly protectable concept. And as for lost revenue, let's not forget how much a lot of us paid for XX-1 cassettes before any alternatives were available, at which point SRAM suddenly figured out a way to somehow make it more affordable. They squeezed (and continue to squeeze) a huge amount out of it, particularly when you consider market share, OE spec, etc.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
And before anyone gets more wistful about the old Onza, here's a picture that should send chills down the back of anyone who tried them:

View attachment 121538View attachment 121538
Holy crap you made me remember my only serious ride with those pedals! I got them second hand from a friend to replace a set of VP 103s, went for a ride at about 0 Celsius with the hardest elastomers and felt how my shoes got soldered to the pedals! Luckily I hit a rock and that piece of crap got turned into little pieces. Crash disengagement® FTW!

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How many SRAM shares are you holding? :busted:

I give SRAM a lot of credit too. XX-1 was revolutionary IMO. But they had to know it's not a particularly protectable concept. And as for lost revenue, let's not forget how much a lot of us paid for XX-1 cassettes before any alternatives were available, at which point SRAM suddenly figured out a way to somehow make it more affordable. They squeezed (and continue to squeeze) a huge amount out of it, particularly when you consider market share, OE spec, etc.
Yeah I get they're protecting a 'system' but throwing a hissy over the simplest part of it is kind of funny. The derailleurs are kind of unique.....but not inimitable.

Those machined cassettes though......those are badass enough that they really can sit back and go 'yeah go for it fuckers. Good luck with that'

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I don't feel bad for Scram for a second; it's not like they invented narrow-wide:

Gehl, a Wisconsin-based manufacturer of heavy machinery for construction construction and agriculture, filed a patent for alternating width sprockets in 1978. Patent 4174642 for a “Chain Drive Including Sprocket Having Alternate Wide And Narrow Teeth” has since expired. Click here to read the text of the original patent.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-to-license-narrow-wide-chainring-design-39491/

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not to say we’re unhappy Aaron chose some of our products but in all reality we’re weary that our public perception is in the hands of knock-off products being tested at World Cups. To confirm, SRAM does not sponsor Aaron Gwin.

Sweet, a double negative and an indication they're apparently, umm, tired(?) about public perception. Bravo!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sorry for the thread derail, but when did Kyle Strait sign with Commencal? Thought he was on GT?

Okay, back to tales of shit pedals and dragons...
Been at least a full season, strictly speaking he's on the Commencal USA team I do believe.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
And before anyone gets more wistful about the old Onza, here's a picture that should send chills down the back of anyone who tried them:

View attachment 121538View attachment 121538
Oh yeah! My first set of clipless. Tossed the hardest elastomers in there, went for a ride, literally couldn't unclip.

Rode 'em for a season. They'd get smashed up in no time and either the elastomers or retainers would fail catastrophically.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Never went down that route... stayed standard spd :)
They were a lot lighter than spd's at the time and hey, if elastomers were "good" for suspension springs, why not pedal springs?

I was in the Northeast at the time and had the same experience as others with temperature changes and inconsistent release. Pretty terrifying.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They were a lot lighter than spd's at the time and hey, if elastomers were "good" for suspension springs, why not pedal springs?

I was in the Northeast at the time and had the same experience as others with temperature changes and inconsistent release. Pretty terrifying.
Yeah, 737s weighed a ton and were rather bulbous looking. I went the ritchey route... I still have those pedals and they're still rocking to this day! I remember trying onza from a buddy of mine before going ritchey... they felt really vague. Had another friend with Speedplay frogs! Those things were like iceskates at first, but they had a certain appeal ... pretty light if you counted just the pedals and not the cleat bed.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wonder if Gwin gets a percentage of the sales increase for TRP brakes and Onza tyres. If thats the angle he went for this deal could be worth a pile of cash, especially if they take his feedback to make some top level product.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Actually Onza were the first ones to introduce a decent mid-weight dh-casing back in 2010. Was ok for me as an average weight rider.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
If the e13 cassette Gwin is using is compatible with the 7-speed X01 DH derailleur it would work with XT and XTR 11-speed derailleurs, but not Saint (10-speed).
The Saint (and Zee) 10 spd derailleurs work as direct replacements for the XO1 DH derailleurs if needed. With X01 DH 7spd shifters/cassettes/chains.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Just saw that Steve Peat is also not listed on the Syndicate. Wyn Masters also not listed as 3rd member of the GT team. Dafuq? Has this something to do with points?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Just saw that Steve Peat is also not listed on the Syndicate. Wyn Masters also not listed as 3rd member of the GT team. Dafuq? Has this something to do with points?
"The UCI gravity team ranking as of February 12th, 2016 is calculated by adding the points of the 2 best placed men and the best placed
woman of each UCI MTB team in the UCI DHI individual ranking as of December 31st, 2015"

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
so Graves is going to race DH too this year?
No doubt he'll just #Ednuro the fuck out of a few select Downhill events to second places as usual.

Racing just wouldn't be true to the spirit'

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
But that says the two best placed, not the two best ranked. I read this to be whoever finishes best in a given week. Still weird not to list Peat, Sam, etc.