Quantcast

My 2011 Giant Trance X Advanced.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
This project came about because my brain works too much when it comes to gear and set-up. I owned an aluminum 2009 Giant Trance X and really liked it. Good pedaling, comfy sizing, and great reliability. I had some issues with it, mostly the geometry. I tend to work more to get a good decent than all around ride, and the old bike wasn't cutting it in the steering department for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it handled the local trails quite well, but had a twitchy feel for my downhill bias.

Lots of people upgrade their Trance with longer 140/150mm forks, but since I ran the XL size, this became a problem. Giant's spec of a 7.5 inch head tube limited my options when it came to upgrading the fork. I already felt my bar height was too tall to corner the way I wanted on certain twisty trails in my area.

So, I started toying with the idea of getting an all mtn. bike to roll some of the parts from my last bike to. The new Reign came to mind, but it started becoming a problem sourcing a frame. Giant wasn't offering the XL in a frame only, and I didn't like the idea of parting another bike out. The new press-fit BB didn't help matters, as I felt limited in chain guide options. I know they have options out there, but not if I decided to run a 2 ring guide of any type... To make a long story short, the option of getting this frame popped up and I hopped on it. The carbon bike uses a tapered head tube, and it was over half an inch shorter. Both of these factors got my gears turning...

When the frame arrived, I was stunned. Giant crafts exquisite carbon bikes. The attention to detail floored me. I was suddenly caught with the notion that putting used, scratched up parts on it was just wrong. I'm not made of money, so I started thinking of a way to build this bike as nice as possible. Luckily, my other job was really busy at the time so funds were easier to come by.

Fast forward a few months, and the snowball of a project is finished. The bike is full-XTR, with carbon rims, bars, and only weighs 25lbs. 11oz. Here's the spec. list:

FRAME= Giant Trance X Advanced SL size XL
FORK= Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti 2 position 20mm axle
CHAINRING= Ethirteen 34t
CHAINGUIDE= Ethirteen XCX guide BB mount
STEM= Easton Haven 70mm
HANDLEBAR= Easton Havoc carbon bar 29.75 width
HEADSET= Cane Creek Angleset 1.5deg. cup (HA=67.5 with 13.5 BB.)
CRANKSET= Shimano XTR M980
BOTTOM BRACKET= Shimano XTR
BRAKES= Shimano XTR Trail
TIRES= Continental Trailking UST 2.2 (set up tubeless)
PEDALS= Shimano XTR Trail (will have some platforms too, but not yet.)
SEATPOST= Rockshox Reverb
SADDLE WTB= Silverado SLT
GRIPS= ODI Troy Lee
CASSETTE= Sram XX 11-36
WHEELSET= Easton Carbon Havens
SHIFTER= Shimano XTR
REAR DERAILLEUR= Shimano XTR M980 med. cage
CHAIN= Shimano HG-X 10 speed

Ride report to come, but I gotta say it feels a ton better than the alloy bike. Amazing...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Just picked up my TCR Advanced and there was one of these exact ones waiting for me to buy. I so wish I had the extra money.

I absolutely love everything that Giant makes, and their pricepoint.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Cliff that bike came out awesome, the parts spec is pretty dialed too!

The front triangle is wild! the headtube gusset is massive!

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Bump.

2 full seasons on this thing, and I'm going for number 3...

Changes from initial build:

Easton Havoc 35 bar/stem, Minion EXO/Highroller 2 tires, and a Push-build Monarch RT-AM.

Vital honored the forum nerd in me today with this:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The ever important question: what's the head angle on that thing?

Nice bike what is the verdict on the wheelset?
The rims are awesome. These wheels are first-gen, so over time I developed some slop in the rear hub. Last summer, I had to tighten things up EVERY ride. It got pretty old, so I sent it back to Easton in November. They replaced all the hub guts... I'd buy another set if I could. ;)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Sweet bike

I have a reign was thinking about the high roller II, what's the real verdict on them?
I've only ran one on the back of my DH bike up to now. I don't ride the same trails as this bike compared to my DH, so jury's still out. Current trail conditions here are borderline velcro, so any tire would probably hook up...

Just need some more time on it. In the meantime, good review here.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
LOL, thanks. I was serious. I'm looking to replace my Blur 4x with something newer, longer and stiffer (that's what she said!), and the Trance X was suggested by a friend, but the geo looked too damn steep for my taste. 66.5 sounds great.
Just a suggestion, but you should take a good look at the Banshee Spitfire. I got to demo one a couple days ago and came away wanting one... ;)

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah, I already want a Spitfire. Or a Blur TR. But what I want and what I can afford are two very different things. I'm trolling the classifieds for something that would work for under $1000.