Quantcast

my brakes suck..will bleeding help??

mtbguy7

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
after my bike was stolen, i recently got a used jekyll on ebay.

the bike has hayes mag brake(probably 02)

the thing is these brakes suck ass.

these are even worse than v-brakes i had on my NRS.

i've never had discs brakes before....so my question is

will bleeding and changing pad make this problem go away?

or is it just the age of the brake?

need ur opinion, am i better off getting new ones?

(front brake lever feels really hard, as if there is too much oil in the line.....whereas rear brake lever has almost an inch of play<- indication of air in the oil???)

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well, there might be some sort of oil on the pads(get new pads), I'd say bleed the rear, sounds like it needs it. as for the front it sounds fine. take it to your local bike shop and see what they think. its hard to diagnose a problem over the net.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
the back most likely needs bleeding and same wouldnt hurt for the front. keep in mind these brakes are low end hydrolics

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
dirtjumpP.1 said:
the back most likely needs bleeding and same wouldnt hurt for the front. keep in mind these brakes are low end hydrolics
Hayes mags? Defiantely not low end brakes. You're thinking of Hfx-9's?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
lovebunny said:
and if you dont want em ill buy em off you for 30 bucks and a cassette and i can get em working tip top and put em on my ht :thumb:
While you're at it why don't you sell the guy a bridge smart guy....

Take your bike to an lbs like everyone is suggesting.
Hayes have very poor modulation, they are very on/off, very little inbetween. A very strong dependable brake, but it takes getting used to. A trick i use for Hayes is to engage the lever by tapping it, instead of just putting a grip of death on it, that way you can fake a little bit of modulation for whenever you need it.
But after you get them dialed in good maintenance tips is just to check the lever's and lines for any cracks/failure. Although most all of the time if your hydraulic line is breached you'll know it right away (oil mess). Take your wheel off and check your pads from time to time *don't engage your brake with your wheel off* unless you want to spend time with a screwdriver trying to separate your pads in the caliper. Sometimes rotors get worn, you can pretty much feel when they're spent. And keep your rotors clean with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, that will in turn keep your pads happy.
Good luck.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Those things should work awesome!!
Not an expert, but try:
Check for oil on pads or rotor; clean 'em
Check for pad miss alignment!
bleed em/change fluid; couldn't hurt
I've heard goods things 'bout the ebc pad in that set up too!