Quantcast

my business card

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
getting these babies printed up via vistaprint.com:

the first batch had the gradient too dark to see the black lettering, so they are gonna give me another batch gratis. i switched the black/white gradient direction, and lightened buzz up a bit.

what do you think?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, me neither.

huh. i think zenfolio's had some issues w/ file uploading lately....they need more servers.

here's the original:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LO, i made the thing in photoshop, saved it as a jpg, uploaded to both zenfolio and flickr. not sure why i can't see anything.

another try.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I dig it!

Frankly, you're really lucky (or they have amazing customer service) that you're getting the second run for free since I think it was more your error designing it the other way.

That said, cool. Is the photo/art bleeding off the top and bottom?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd make the photo fill the entire left hand side of the page, and the main "tinnitus photography" text at top right larger and possibly over two lines

we have a similar aesthetic in general tho :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
can't tell, is there a black outline around the letters?

I do like it very much, but next time, please ask for input BEFORE you go to print :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i'd make the photo fill the entire left hand side of the page, and the main "tinnitus photography" text at top right larger and possibly over two lines]
ugh, no.

While I could make some subtle minor improvement suggestions, I think it pretty much rocks as it.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
nice card!!! my only suggestions would be to let the photo bleed to the bottom, and i would move the web site and email address away from the photo a little...it looks uneven from side to side. and i think i would make the email address just a bit smaller than the web site and put a little more space between. the gradiation looks cool...i think the only way to tell how dark it is will only be from a print.

one last suggestion if you're interested in playin with it a bit more...maybe play arounnd with all caps but small font for the line "live music coverage" just to give it a bit of a difference from the name but still using the same font.

sorry for all the suggestions...i'm a graphic designer...i can't help myself. it's a really nice card!!!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
nice card!!! my only suggestions would be to let the photo bleed to the bottom, and i would move the web site and email address away from the photo a little...it looks uneven from side to side. and i think i would make the email address just a bit smaller than the web site and put a little more space between. the gradation looks cool...i think the only way to tell how dark it is will only be from a print.

one last suggestion if you're interested in playing with it a bit more...maybe play around with all caps but small font for the line "live music coverage" just to give it a bit of a difference from the name but still using the same font.

sorry for all the suggestions...I'm a graphic designer...i can't help myself. it's a really nice card!!!
Wait, Burley said you were a Mormon masseuses

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...i'm a graphic designer...i can't help myself. it's a really nice card!!!
are you?

What's your experience, training, and/or education?

I know that probably sounds rude and obnoxious, but if you're going to make such a declaration, you need to back it up.

For example, I've been in the business for 15 YEARS. I've done lots of graphic design projects, but I never call myself a graphic designer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I dig it!

Frankly, you're really lucky (or they have amazing customer service) that you're getting the second run for free since I think it was more your error designing it the other way.

That said, cool. Is the photo/art bleeding off the top and bottom?
well, after i uploaded it, i paid a dollar to see a proof, and you could definitely read everything from that. when the actual cards came, they were a lot darker than the proof was. so i called CS and they said they'd let me do another run.

there are some margins around the entire card for the cut. it won't actually be that full size (i downloaded a template and the guides were in a layer).

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
are you?

What's your experience, training, and/or education?

I know that probably sounds rude and obnoxious, but if you're going to make such a declaration, you need to back it up.

For example, I've been in the business for 15 YEARS. I've done lots of graphic design projects, but I never call myself a graphic designer.

i've been in the business doing graphic design for about 15 years as well. i've worked for all sorts of companys from large corporations to small to agencys. some were great projects and some totally SUCKED.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one last suggestion if you're interested in playin with it a bit more...maybe play arounnd with all caps but small font for the line "live music coverage" just to give it a bit of a difference from the name but still using the same font.

i'm so not about the capital letters. :monkeydance:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, after i uploaded it, i paid a dollar to see a proof, and you could definitely read everything from that.
smart move!

You put the responsibility back on them. If they couldn't deliver, then it's good of them to re-deliver.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
One thing I might do, is change the gradiant on the right so it doesn't obscure the text at the top. Maybe give it a more parabolic arc. Shift the top right of the arc down, the bottom left up and pull the center towards the corner a little.

Edit: Not to be critical, It's a nice card.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
:huh:

but i do play one on tv :biggrin:

(actually i'm going to school for massage theraphy...the Mormon thing...i don't know...go figure)
I thinke he means a real one, instead of the type at the places he frequents.....you know the ones with signs proclaiming "full body massage"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I thinke he means a real one, instead of the type at the places he frequents.....you know the ones with signs proclaiming "full body massage"
So you're saying that Graphics only gives unhappy endings?

I kid cuz I care, I mean, cuz I can ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LO, i made the thing in photoshop, saved it as a jpg, uploaded to both zenfolio and flickr. not sure why i can't see anything.

another try.
Cool.

Getting paid for a hobby?

I just need to take more pictures.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nah, no pay yet, though i am supposed to get some cash for an Espers shot which is likely to be used for an issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine, to be published in a month or two.

if i get on the list for the show, that's good enough for me at the moment.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
btw, there's a small white line on the bottom edge of the photo where i'd made a small selection error (i ran a curves adjustement just on the photo, rather than also on the gradient, and put it back in as a layer) but it should be below the trim line and not visible in the printed version.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i didn't put it down on purpose...if people want to get in touch w/ me, they can email me, or i can write it on the back of the card when i give it to them.