Quantcast

My daughters are now felons.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I'm getting ready to leave for work and decide that it's time to call the girls in for lunch (6 and 4 years old). They've been playing outside in the culdesac with friends for a few hours and are usually at one of the neighbors homes playing with one or more of the kids that live in our little circle. (very family friendly neighborhood where we feel comfortable enough to let the kids play freely)

so, one of our neighbors is on vacation and all of our kids frequently play at their house when they're home but they all know not to be in their yard when no one is home. i call my girls and hear them answer, "coming daddy!", but their retort came from the vacationing neighbors backyard. as they get closer (a bit of a walk as they are 2 yards away in 1.5-2 acre plots) i notice that they're both holding cans of pepsi and trying to drink while they walk.
I ask the oldest one, mikaela, where she got the drink from and she replied, "from mikinley's house" in a matter of fact way. i said, "but mikinley is on vacation.....how did you get in!!?" my daughter then informed me that she and her sister gained access to the kitchen via the doggy door and then helped themselves to popsicles and soda.

what!!??

i send the girls inside to their bedrooms and follow up with a swift spanking and lecture on how they have just committed a FELONY and could go to jail for over a year if our neighbor calls the police (a little bit of fear never hurts to drive home the point :) ) i leave for work as my girls are banished to their rooms for the night.
I get a call about 20 minutes later from the wife telling that the neighbor just got home. She dragged the girls over to their house to apologize. My wife said that the youngest daughter, Emily, was crying the whole way to the house because she was afraid that our neighbor was going to have her taken to jail. The neighbor was super nice and understanding, as usual, but we worked out a community service plan for our girls to do around his house doing chores and whatnot.

I sure hope that this is not a sign of things to come with my girls :girlwacko:
and that they've learned their lesson. I don't know if i could handle the future headlines if not:

COP KIDS HEAD UP NEIGHBORHOOD BURGLARY RING :p:)

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
lol. ask them if they can do the same thing to the bike store.....:D.
me and my brother did that once but we just walked in the unlocked door (when i was around 6 or 7) the only difference is we got in alot more trouble than a spanking.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
lol. ask them if they can do the same thing to the bike store.....:D.
me and my brother did that once but we just walked in the unlocked door (when i was around 6 or 7) the only difference is we got in alot more trouble than a spanking.
oh trust me, they are getting more than a spanking....i just didn't have time to figure out what the punishment will be before i had to leave for work.

and no austin bike, in my house, they are guilty until proven guilty. i think it's time for them to get matching prison tattoos.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So they were beaten, talked to, apologized to the neighbors while being scared and crying, have to do chores and there's still more punishment coming?

Awesome parenting!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
So they were beaten, talked to, apologized to the neighbors while being scared and crying, have to do chores and there's still more punishment coming?

Awesome parenting!
hell yes! the punishment up until now has been for the crime itself, the punishment coming is for the embarrassment suffered by mrs. manimal and i.

my kind of parenting:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
my kind of parenting:
I don't mind that, I'm just against hitting kids. Granted, I only have 3 years experience living with a 3-6 year old (My first wives son) and despite being hit myself with hands, belts and Hot Wheel tracks as a kid, sitting down and talking to little dude when he messed up was so much more positive.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Awesome parenting!
i am going to discuss any mistakes my nephews make when they are older over whiskey and cigars with them...

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
my dad dosent spank me. he gives me worse. he takes away everything dear to me! (aka my bike,laptop,and i-phone) dun dun dun daaaaah!!!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
unfortunately, a 4 year old can have fun with a ball of lint so taking things away doesn't work quite as well as it does for a teen. for instance, noah rarely gets spanked, (usually a light flick on the back of the ear ;) ) but he hates having his Nintendo DS and TV time taken away. i've come close to grounding that boy from oxygen on a few occasions.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
and no austin bike, in my house, they are guilty until proven guilty. i think it's time for them to get matching prison tattoos.
Just give 'em each a pack of cigarettes. When they ask what they are for, just tell them, "it's your allowance, don't spend 'em on on the first night."

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
no im not. i wasnt just given all that. i bought the phone. i share the laptop with a 10 yr old. and everyone has a bike.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
And then I chime in by saying, on the day before Father's Day, -----

Be gentle. Some of us, like me, would give anything, even out souls (literally) to have just one more hug. Just one more................

You get the idea...........

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
But would you have deduced the truth had they not self incriminated?
yes. 2 little girls coming from behind a vacant house with cans of soda that they did not get from our house. all it would have taken was for me to see the doggy door and i think i'd have a pretty good idea of what took place :)

they definitely keep me on my toes.

No felony for first conviction for petty theft in NC, I think. Also, they haven't been convicted, except by you, manimal.

I'm not in a position to comment on your approach to discipline. My first reaction was that it was a little over the top, but I'm biased - to my father, everything was a serious infraction with a lot of associated punishment, corporeal and other. My reaction was to develop a deep distrust of authority, to wall him off emotionally and to distance myself from him completely as soon as I could.

You seem to spend a lot of time with your kids and care deeply about them. You will discover in your turn who they become as adults.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
No felony for first conviction for petty theft in NC, I think. Also, they haven't been convicted, except by you, manimal.

I'm not in a position to comment on your approach to discipline. My first reaction was that it was a little over the top, but I'm biased - to my father, everything was a serious infraction with a lot of associated punishment, corporeal and other. My reaction was to develop a deep distrust of authority, to wall him off emotionally and to distance myself from him completely as soon as I could.

You seem to spend a lot of time with your kids and care deeply about them. You will discover in your turn who they become as adults.
Hmmm,...... I agree with the strong "stached" one on this. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
yes. 2 little girls coming from behind a vacant house with cans of soda that they did not get from our house. all it would have taken was for me to see the doggy door and i think i'd have a pretty good idea of what took place :)

they definitely keep me on my toes.
LOL! I liked the idea of having them apologize and do "community service" I'm going to have to do that with Syd I am sure!