Quantcast

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Oh and the comment about the black powder, learn your guns, most guns are not using black powder. BUT black powder, smokeless slow burn, whatever, its actually not toohard to make, and neither is loading your own shells, nor is melting your own projectiles.
Hahahaha...I was wondering which one of you gun dorks was going to correct me on that first.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ha, people are still arguing that hunting is wrong, and that it is easy. To everyone that belives hunting deer is eay, try it. Deer are not stupid, when you go looking for deer in places where hunting is allowed, good luck seeing them. go somewhere people dont hunt, they dont fear humans, and you will see them regularly.
Yup. Most states regulate how far you can be from certain things to hunt any kind of animal. In PA you have to be 100 yards from a public road, and 75 yards from a house (or maybe its vice versa in terms of the distances). But you get the point.

As far as the "well I can hunt with my car hurrr dee durrr" argument, this is mostly in locations where urban sprawl has been destroying their natural habitats and is forcing them into suburban areas. For anyone who's been to Diablo and has seen the bears, this is what's causing it.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
In the Cape, South Africa, if you hunting Springbok in the Klein Karoo(a desert) you have to be atleast 300 yards away or they bolt. No joke. If you take a farm boy from the karoo and give him a .22, he'll put a bullet in Obama before the red necks get a chance, all the way from the top of his wind mill.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think the distinction needs to be made that deer are wild animals and cows etc are domestically raised animals bred for human consumption.

Massive difference. One is sustainable (just) and the other isn't. If everyone was inclined to hunt, humans would wipe out every wild species on earth in a few months.

Thankfully most of us evolved.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I think the distinction needs to be made that deer are wild animals and cows etc are domestically raised animals bred for human consumption.

Massive difference. One is sustainable (just) and the other isn't. If everyone was inclined to hunt, humans would wipe out every wild species on earth in a few months.

Thankfully most of us evolved.
Your logic is horribly flawed. The points you build your judgement on may be based in reality, but your assessment of tying our overpopulation of this planet and the necessity for us to manage our consumption as somehow superior is not true.

This evolution you speak of which has brought us to the point of affording us this huge population, which is currently and will indefinetely tax the planet tremendously. Much more to the scale of a hunter taking an animal, off the charts in my opinion.

It just seems ridiculous for me, that people are so quick to judge managed legal hunting so negatively. When in many instances it provides people a way to not only appreciate nature and our impact in a very up-close, personal, and real way, but to participate in an active role our own role in nature.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The typical western lifestyle is unsustainable enough without people going into the woods to shoot wild animals for fun. Even if it is managed it still sets a moral precedent for the typical anthropocentric viewpoint that we have the right to whatever we want as we're top of the food chain.

I would argue that we need to be smarter than that in this day and age.

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
actually hunting is more sustainable and environmentally friendly than herding, it's just that our population has grown to be much too large.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The typical western lifestyle is unsustainable enough without people going into the woods to shoot wild animals for fun. Even if it is managed it still sets a moral president for the typical anthropocentric viewpoint that we have the right to whatever we want as we're top of the food chain.

I would argue that we need to be smarter than that in this day and age.
Maybe Precedent Obama will set a new president for us to live by.:rofl:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
John - I thought when you move to TN, you have to become a redneck and shoot a deer in the first 30 days or they kick you out? It's state law or something.

Nah - I don't hate man. :cupidarrow: You need to come back and ride with us soon!

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
JB, is that a Remington 700?
Its a Remington 770.

John - I thought when you move to TN, you have to become a redneck and shoot a deer in the first 30 days or they kick you out? It's state law or something.

Nah - I don't hate man. :cupidarrow: You need to come back and ride with us soon!
Well I accomplished that, so I get to stay. And I havent ridden my DH bike since I fvcked my foot / leg up at 26W, sucks big time.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
First turkey of the season (12/18). 80 yds in the neck with a .270

The dark meat on these guys is worthless but thanks to 24 hrs of marinating it whole and covering it in bacon makes the breast pretty damned tender.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
First turkey of the season (12/18). 80 yds in the neck with a .270

The dark meat on these guys is worthless but thanks to 24 hrs of marinating it whole and covering it in bacon makes the breast pretty damned tender.

Wild turkey is not good eating?

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Wild turkey is not good eating?
Well, I've had mixed experiences. I soaked this guy long enough and cooked him quickly enough after shooting him that it wasn't game-y in the least.

I have had some pretty poor tasting turkey though.

**generally, the biggest complaint is that they're tough and dry. The only part of this bird that wasn't excellent were the legs.

Last edited: