Quantcast

My Imperial is in the Mail, what fork?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My evil imperial is in the mail now, but i wanted to get some fork opinions. For the last 3 years all ive ridden are manitou forks. Ill be runnin dual 26s 8 inch discs, and i want a single crown fork with around 150mm. Some of my considerations were Pike, Fox 36, Lyrik, and Z.1.Travis. My limit is probably around 500, but the less i spend on a fork the more money i can put toward a new wheelset and crank.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i've really liked the RS Pike that i've had. smooth travel, easy adjustments, and U-turn. for $500 you may be able to score an used TALAS 36R or RC. do you want adjustable travel? or is that not very important to you?
I think adjustable travel will be nice, caus im going from two bikes to one All around bike so adjustable travel would help to make the evil more versatile. Im just worried that the Pike wouldnt be beefy enough.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
black and neon green would look hot, maybe with some light green stripes (short stripes not whole frame) or something along the lines of that. If you can't decide just go all black.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You could do silver with green stripes and get a silver Pike.

If you did full neon green and painted the pike the same color, it would look so good.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think the Pike has more travel, is stronger and over-all more abuse ready... Have you given any thought to the new totem? They are pretty expensive, but still kick ass!
the lyrik actually has 20mm more travel and im pretty sure it has thicker stanchions, im just wondering if both of those are worth the more money.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
If your weight or riding style may be a cause to buy new springs... wait til they are available for the lyric and someone else has used em. Since you can't really use oil viscosity or volume in a RockShox the way you can in a Marzocchi for tunning, you rely heavily on what is available in different spring weights. Make sure you can get what you need before you buy the fork.

The pike has been out for a couple of years and aftermarket springs are currently available. Last I heard, the Lyric springs would be available in November. Also, you can get leftover pikes for quite a bit less than new retail on a lyric.

Chris

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to get a pike for my HT. Mine current one is not in one piece, but I want to get a DOC. I would use it for DH, FR, DJ, XC, street (eveything).

Do you think the pike would be good for all that?

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
If you get it powdercoated make sure they don't sand blast the existing paint/powder off, most places want to do that I had to go through stretches of the imagination to find a place that would be convinced of not doing it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
If you get it powdercoated make sure they don't sand blast the existing paint/powder off, most places want to do that I had to go through stretches of the imagination to find a place that would be convinced of not doing it.
Why shouldnt i get it sandblasted? The Powdercoating place only wants 15 bucks to sandblast it. What should i do then use aircraft stripper?

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Sandblasting can weaken the Aluminum. Not saying it WILL, but it can. Sand blasting is harsh but it also depends on what pressure they're blasting with.
Glass bead blasting is better than sand blasting, and in some rare cases tiny wooden bead blasting is even better than glass, in the sense that it won't affect the surface of the metal as much. In any case they're gonna blast it lightly before applying the powder to etch the surface, that's ok as long as they don't use high pressure, but stripping paint/powder with the blasting technique will be harsh on the metal's surface...

IMO the best way is to chemical strip it, then lightly blast it to etch before applying powder so the powder can adhere to the metal well. Most places will usually blast strip the existing paint/powder for free if you're coating with them.

Another piece of advise from my experience when shopping around is to generally stay away from places that do industrial coating and are used to powder coating CATERPILLARs and other heavy machinery. It sounded to me that more often than not they'll basically treat your imperial frame like buldozer parts.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Sandblasting can weaken the Aluminum. Not saying it WILL, but it can. Sand blasting is harsh but it also depends on what pressure they're blasting with.
Glass bead blasting is better than sand blasting, and in some rare cases tiny wooden bead blasting is even better than glass, in the sense that it won't affect the surface of the metal as much. In any case they're gonna blast it lightly before applying the powder to etch the surface, that's ok as long as they don't use high pressure, but stripping paint/powder with the blasting technique will be harsh on the metal's surface...

IMO the best way is to chemical strip it, then lightly blast it to etch before applying powder so the powder can adhere to the metal well. Most places will usually blast strip the existing paint/powder for free if you're coating with them.

Another piece of advise from my experience when shopping around is to generally stay away from places that do industrial coating and are used to powder coating CATERPILLARs and other heavy machinery. It sounded to me that more often than not they'll basically treat your imperial frame like buldozer parts.
The place im taking it to has done some MTB frames before, and lots of automotive wheels so im hoping they already have plenty of experience with smaller Non-industrial sized projects.

these are the colors I like

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I like that blue a lot. Those colors would be cool.

I think you should choose one of those and do the frame and fork in it.
For sure im gonna get the frame painted, but as for the fork, i really dont wanna take apart a brand new fork just to have the lowers powdercoated, unless there is a way to have them powdercoated without taking them apart...

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
For sure im gonna get the frame painted, but as for the fork, i really dont wanna take apart a brand new fork just to have the lowers powdercoated, unless there is a way to have them powdercoated without taking them apart...
nope powdercoating means your part gets baked at around 400 degrees for a little bit so anything like seals and oil etc is a big no-no. Another thing to keep in mind is some fork lowers are magnesium, and magnesium can make the powder bubble when cooking it.

That lime green rocks I almost did mine in a colour similar to that.

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
If I was gonna get my bike powder coated i would get that flourescent yellow color that security wears at concerts and sports events... that color screams in low light conditions like dusk... I think it would be smokin....

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was thinkin about getting it Clemson Orange(thats where i go to school) but my buddy just got a sluggo in Orange and he said he'd punch me if i got mine the same color.

Im really leaning toward that green, with some white decals.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Matt, if you want a DOC i need to sell mine QUICK. So PM me asap if you are interested in a black regular.

It is in great shape, most of the riding it was used for was rays indoor park.

actually just email me @ william.kirk@gmail.com

_Bill

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I found a bike with a Similar Color to what i want. And simply by coincidence it has ties to the Imperial

The DW-link used for the Sunday was developed by the same guy that created the Imperial.

I was outbid on some Dee-Maxs yesterday, But im buying a brand new Sun-Ringle 8 track wheelset.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i have a question about imperials, how are people running them as singlespeeds if the drop out doesnt slide? Singulator, because that is gross...I might be getting a frame soon here and need to know so any help would rock.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So i have a question about imperials, how are people running them as singlespeeds if the drop out doesnt slide? Singulator, because that is gross...I might be getting a frame soon here and need to know so any help would rock.
Halflink, also if you go to Evil's website im pretty sure they have a listing of different chain lengths for singlespeed that work with each drop out

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I dropped the frame off at the powdercoater today:banana: , he is going to use very low pressure to strip it, im getting it done in that bright green color. Im gonna call Evil tomorrow to order some new decals.