Quantcast

My Mammoth result.....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hello All!!

Well, what a wicked couple of days. Both good and bad. Good first---

After leaving home later than expected (dang car battery died and needed replacing), I got to Mammoth about 11 a.m. Got my packet and license, went around the venue (quite small from past venues), then went out to pre-ride the course with Alaina and her seat. Yep, you read right-- I pre-rode the whole course with her seat on. Man, did she have fun!! When I got back, I hooked up with the announcer to see if he could make a dedication announcement about why I was there. Jeff (the announcer) said no problem.

Checked in to the room, met the parents, went to dinner, last-minute checks, tried to sleep. Up early to a cool and crisp morning. Loaded up, got to the venue, and starting warming up. Parents arrive, go over the feed zone routine, and get staged. Oh, the note I gave Jeff for my dedication also included a "happy birthday" from Alaina to my Mom, since her b-day was Wednesday. Very cool!!

The race is off! Man, I should've warmed up more. Oh well, my goal was 6 hours since Alaina turned 6 this year. Finish lap 1 in about 2 hours-- on pace. Reload and off for lap 2. This was the funny lap, because about 3-4 miles from the finish, I get lapped by Weins and Tinker, plus 2 others. Hey, my ride isn't for the competing, just the joy of riding. As I get to the line, Jeff is saying how I have one more lap to go, yet the NORBA official tells me I'm done. What?!?!?! Talk about a bbiigg disappointment. I mean, it's not like I was slowing any of the riders down or being a pain on the course. Afterwards, I stop to chat with Tinker and Dave, got pics with them, very cool words of support, and leave about an hour later.

I do have a question-- Was it right for the official to stop me? It's not like he didn't know my reason for being there since the dedication was announced. I mean, I paid to do 3 laps, and I wanted my money's worth. Is there a rule I'm unaware of to clear this up? I would've talked with him, however, I had a run-in with him a few years ago, and my initial thought is that he stopped me for those reasons. Maybe I'm stretching it, yet I do feel very "cheated" by his stopping me.

If any of you have any thoughts about this ride "stoppage", please drop me a line at mantispf2000@yahoo.com with your comments. Until we meet on the trails!!!!!!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I kind of know that feeling. I went to Schweitzer a couple of days early and really knew the course. Within 30 yards of the race start my chain broke. I tried three repairs, each failed. I decided at that point I wasnt going to be able to race. I went back to the village and changed my mind. I saw a shop and bought a new chain and entered the race. No one was going to stop me. Heck I paid my money. Anyway I finished last. I think you should have been allowed to finish.