Quantcast

My *New* New Bike Thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of the few things I've learned over the years is to seek input from multiple sources; some bike handling characteristics are not equal across sizes. I nearly bit on a new from the Web SB5 but couldn't find any feedback on the small frame size.

I too am entertaining the thought of an SB5. Renting one next weekend and taking it up to Tiger. For something so expensive buying one without real riding time would be like marrying a chick who you only ever saw wearing a snow suit.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Bad news, I just rode a large SB6 (2015?) for a 6 minute DH run and 15 minutes pedaling back up in sneakers. It had a Pike and Sram 1X11. I really struggled pedaling back up the trail but a different cassette could help that, that and a smaller frame. So awesome.

So... while I'm waiting for your review, what spec did you order? I think the one I rode was the base spec.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Bad news, I just rode a large SB6 (2015?) for a 6 minute DH run and 15 minutes pedaling back up in sneakers. It had a Pike and Sram 1X11. I really struggled pedaling back up the trail but a different cassette could help that, that and a smaller frame. So awesome.

So... while I'm waiting for your review, what spec did you order? I think the one I rode was the base spec.
So the SB6 has a markedly different ride than the SB5. Although the numbers on paper aren't a ton different the SB6 definitely feels longer, slacker, and more unwieldy pedaling around. The 5 feels a lot snappier and lively, more balanced towards the ups and downs. According to the guys at Yeti the 5 is the all around model while the 6 is for people who are more down oriented and sprinkle in days at lift accessed resorts.

I ordered the SB5 Enduro. Couldn't/Didn't want to swing the $6,900 they wanted for the SB5-C and was perfectly willing to take the 3/4lb weight difference and slightly lesser parts spec.

And Westy is correct, it is little more than a linear bearing. They have one on the wall at the factory and I fiddled with it for a bit. It has a zerk fitting to lubricate each stanction on the shuttle.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I hear you. I seriously contemplated that SB6 deal on Jenson but in the end the test rides clearly showed me it was not the appropriate bike for what I do. Swing a leg over the SB5 if you can, you should be able to notice some stark differences in handling.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That Jenson deal looks tits, is not the frame alone $4k?

Not that I would ever ride a Yeti.
Year old close out model. But yes, if you were to purchase the frame alone it would make up a significant portion of the price.

And the Canfield Brothers thank you. They would hate to lose 50% of their customer base. ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Put some time in on a Demo SB5c. Took it for a rip around Tiger Mountain. While Seattle was warm and sunny, Tiger was cold with a steady downpour. It really did do everything well, actually it did everything better than anything I have ridden. I will most likely be applying for my dentist license.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm going to get the SB6 because I already have 5" travel bike and the deal at Jenson is good, otherwise I'd be getting an SB5 Enduro for the same money. I've spoken with 2 guys who have Yetis, 1 SB6 and 1 SB4.5 29r both say good things about their rides.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well then congratulations to the both of you as well! Looks like we as an RM community are now 3 Yetis stronger.

I'm curious to hear both of your thoughts about how they rode relative to things you have been on in the past.

Now what's the best carbon fiber water bottle cage? Do they make carbon fiber seat bags?

Last edited:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I'm sure someone somewhere has had a problem but I have been around many switch infinity links on many customer bikes and I have seen zero issues with the link. It is very reliable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well then congratulations to the both of you as well! Looks like we as an RM community are now 3 Yetis stronger.

I'm curious to hear both of your thoughts about how they rode relative to things you have been on in the past.

Now what's the best carbon fiber water bottle cage? Do they make carbon fiber seat bags?

My decade old Turner isn't a fair comparison as it is a decade old. Other modern trail bikes I have ridden have been the 29 style. They all handled like a tanker truck. The Yeti is much more nimble.

The rear suspension of the Yeti really is impressive. It is probably one of the best pedaling full suspension bikes I have ridden and hands down the smoothest. I think the most telling anecdote was that I started my ride with too much air in the tires. I kept dropping pressure in the front for a smoother ride and more traction, never bothered to touch the rear. The bike I rode had a 150mm Pike and the 127mm rear seemed a balanced match.

I'm riding very different terrain out here than what I am used to in Virginia. Shit be much steeper here and with more/bigger drops. I really have no idea what I am doing and have been pushing my comfort level but haven't really had a single code brown.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My decade old Turner isn't a fair comparison as it is a decade old. Other modern trail bikes I have ridden have been the 29 style. They all handled like a tanker truck. The Yeti is much more nimble.

The rear suspension of the Yeti really is impressive. It is probably one of the best pedaling full suspension bikes I have ridden and hands down the smoothest. I think the most telling anecdote was that I started my ride with too much air in the tires. I kept dropping pressure in the front for a smoother ride and more traction, never bothered to touch the rear. The bike I rode had a 150mm Pike and the 127mm rear seemed a balanced match.

I'm riding very different terrain out here than what I am used to in Virginia. Shit be much steeper here and with more/bigger drops. I really have no idea what I am doing and have been pushing my comfort level but haven't really had a single code brown.
Which one did you get?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't have any "new" bits lying about so built is my best option, I've heard good reports about Sram GX, I may end up upgrading the wheel set but probably not until next year.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't have any "new" bits lying about so built is my best option, I've heard good reports about Sram GX, I may end up upgrading the wheel set but probably not until next year.
I heard GX is nice, I just didn't want to switch over to the SRAM cassette standard, I've got a lot of really nice old shit I can re-use.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SB5c frame, built up with a 150mm Pike and XTR goodies. $1K cheaper than the SB5C package. Going to build up a set of wheels from some King hubs I have laced to some beat 26" rims. Should be super dentisty when I am done.
Small c is 26"?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
SB5c frame, built up with a 150mm Pike and XTR goodies. $1K cheaper than the SB5C package. Going to build up a set of wheels from some King hubs I have laced to some beat 26" rims. Should be super dentisty when I am done.
If only I hadn't built up my Hadleys to some newish Arch EX rims a couple of years ago I'd be building those into a new 27.5 wheelset for the Yeti as well. We will see how the M1900 wheels hold up, if online review are any indication (has the internet ever been wrong?) I will be building some new wheels in the not too distant future.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My bike shipped today... hopefully to be at my door by end of day Wednessday. It's green the black is sold out on line. I wanted black but waited to long.

EDIT: Race face Aeffect wheel set seems a little light duty for a 6 inch travel bike but it's not rocky around here so maybe they will last. I've set aside a few bucks as reviews are hit n miss.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes! I would have preferred black but waited too long. Curious to hear about your first dirt ride, I was surprised that I could stand and hammer as needed, not as good as a hardtail but far more effective than any other full squishy I've pedaled. I didn't take any drops with air but rolled some stair steps that made me giggle like a school girl.

I put ardents on both ends of my old hard tail and had good results.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yetis for everyone!!!

150mm pike has the bike feeling a little slacker than the rental with the fox. Mountain Kings front and back, have worked well for me in the past.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

She's a beaut. Gonna go for a proper shake down ride tomorrow but pedaling around the neighborhood is pretty awesome. A ton lighter than my RFX. Not too sure about the Maxxis Ikon rear tire, might swap the Ardent to the rear and get a DHF prior to setting up tubeless.
Dude, that looks suspiciously PLASTIC from here!