Quantcast

My new ride is going to be sweet!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
It's looking like i'm going to be having full 2004 XTR including disks, plus Cane Creek Zonos Ti disk wheelset. The fork is not final yet and a Ti frame is very likely.:D :p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
What should I go for the '04 Manitou Skareb super or the '04 RS Sid team? Which is better?

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
How much you weigh ?

If youre light i think youre benefit slight weight advantage of Sid. If youre somewhat on the heavy side get the Skareb.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
What should I go for the '04 Manitou Skareb super or the '04 RS Sid team? Which is better?
the sid is a good fork. you'd probably like the team. what i'm wondering is how well the new skareb is gonna be w/ the spv valving in it. looks very interesting man. i think it's safe to say you'd be good to go either what you went. just remember, NEITHER fork is going to feel as stiff as the headshock you jsut came off of.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy
the sid is a good fork. you'd probably like the team. what i'm wondering is how well the new skareb is gonna be w/ the spv valving in it. looks very interesting man. i think it's safe to say you'd be good to go either what you went. just remember, NEITHER fork is going to feel as stiff as the headshock you jsut came off of.
I know but they're both alot lighter. I like the remote lock-out of the Sid. I weigh about 160 so should I go with the Sid Team?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I know but they're both alot lighter. I like the remote lock-out of the Sid. I weigh about 160 so should I go with the Sid Team?
get whatever you can get cheaper lol. seriously.....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok but tell me this is $650 more canadian for a Ti frame compaired to a steel frame worth it both will be custom made?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My feeling, even for racing, is to get the basic no frills SID Race. All that extra crap is just something else that can go wrong. I just got the 03 Race and messed around with the pressure for 2 days to get it right... and I love it. My 02 SID has on the fly damping that, in theory, should lock the fork but I never use it unless I am on pavement heading to the trail.

My advice is to get the base model SID and save your bling for a really top end wheel set - that will gain you far more advantage than a locking fork ever will.

Right now the SID Races are being sold in the $400.00 range and weight just under 3 LBS, the other models weigh slightly more to to the extra bits. For XC racing weight savings is very important - shave as much as you can off everything but start with the wheelbuild.

Oh... and the SID TEAM is fugly as hell. :monkey:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Watch for special on 03 Skareb Super frankford bike had it for $370 last week but not anymore. 03 and 04 are exatcly same except the knobs (like lockout) are aluminum rather than plastic also 04 is slightly taller.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well I'm getting the best in terms of wheels, Cane Creek Zonos Ti disk wheelset, and i'm getting it so cheap it makes me laugh.:D :p As for forks I can't get such a good deal so i'm think of the Skerab Super Since it's alot cheap than the Sid Team and alot better according to reviews. I might just get a Sid Race.

Should I get the XTR cranks or should I save the money and get something else?

What do people think about the frame material it will cost me 650 more for Ti over Steel (thats canadian money) is it worth it?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
(thats canadian money) is it worth it?
No, Canadian money isn't worth much... :D :D :D

SID and Scareb weight the same, I had a manipoo fork back in the mid 90's. It was so much trouble I've never even looked a manipoo since.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Babar
Watch for special on 03 Skareb Super frankford bike had it for $370 last week but not anymore. 03 and 04 are exatcly same except the knobs (like lockout) are aluminum rather than plastic also 04 is slightly taller.
they are NOT the same fork. the new 04's have the new spv valving in em

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well I'm getting the best in terms of wheels, Cane Creek Zonos Ti disk wheelset, and i'm getting it so cheap it makes me laugh.:D :p As for forks I can't get such a good deal so i'm think of the Skerab Super Since it's alot cheap than the Sid Team and alot better according to reviews. I might just get a Sid Race.

Should I get the XTR cranks or should I save the money and get something else?

What do people think about the frame material it will cost me 650 more for Ti over Steel (thats canadian money) is it worth it?
yo dude it's worth it.....make em use butted 7/8ths seat n chainstays !!!!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ummm no platinum only has SPV which is $550

Super, 03 and 04 is same $450.
i in no way mentioned the super dummy :D all i said was the new fork from manitou w/ the spv looked interesting and for him to look into em.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
i in no way mentioned the super dummy :D all i said was the new fork from manitou w/ the spv looked interesting and for him to look into em.
Dude... you said "they" and "04's" all of em dont have SPV valving.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Girls like tight ass thank you. "lighten up" ? hahaha personally i really don't care about some internet post...
i know dude, i'm only f'in w/ ya.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Actually the 04 super has SPV so ha;)
Haha tell us if it does when you get it ok . I personally dont want to dish out extra for platinum just for the name sake :D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Haha tell us if it does when you get it ok . I personally dont want to dish out extra for platinum just for the name sake :D
Nevermind I was sure I had seen that it was going to have SPV but no i was wrong.
So what fork am I going to get?

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Nevermind I was sure I had seen that it was going to have SPV but no i was wrong.
So what fork am I going to get?
Get the cheapest from 2 of your choice, im just waiting how much either skareb or team will go down. I probably will get the one thats cheapest.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok and go with a titanium frame over steel? Is it worth it to get Titanium and maybe probly not be able to get full XTR or should I get a steel frame and than I'd be able to get full XTR for sure. I'm don't care about the frame lasting for ever and I won't be saving much weight by getting Ti so what are the benefits?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ok and go with a titanium frame over steel? Is it worth it to get Titanium and maybe probly not be able to get full XTR or should I get a steel frame and than I'd be able to get full XTR for sure. I'm don't care about the frame lasting for ever and I won't be saving much weight by getting Ti so what are the benefits?
well now that i think about it, i'd go w/ the steel. only b/c you are probably still gonna grow a little bit plus the fact of having the full xtr is nice.

the benefits of ti are being able to have the weight savings over steel yet having a bike that at the BB yet having the rear compliant at the same time. (complaint but not noodly).

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
That makes sense and it will save me alot of money the steel frame I'm getting will be nearly free. I was think I'm going to get the steel than there's nothing wrong with steel right?
But is full Xtr really that much better I'm not going to get the XTR cassettes I'm going to get the XT ones. I'm just wondering if the cranks and front mech are really worth it. Aren't new rings for XTR cranks super expensive and Raceface is coming out with a really nice crank this year I also like the FSA carbon ones.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
That makes sense and it will save me alot of money the steel frame I'm getting will be nearly free. I was think I'm going to get the steel than there's nothing wrong with steel right?
But is full Xtr really that much better I'm not going to get the XTR cassettes I'm going to get the XT ones. I'm just wondering if the cranks and front mech are really worth it. Aren't new rings for XTR cranks super expensive and Raceface is coming out with a really nice crank this year I also like the FSA carbon ones.
there's nothing wrong w/ steel, no not a bit bro. the cranks are the MAJOR plus of the groupo dude. do yourself a favor adn get those. don't be scared of the xtr cassettes though, the xt's are nice b/c they are MUCH cheaper at cost then xtr.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
there's nothing wrong w/ steel, no not a bit bro. the cranks are the MAJOR plus of the groupo dude. do yourself a favor adn get those. don't be scared of the xtr cassettes though, the xt's are nice b/c they are MUCH cheaper at cost then xtr.
I've heard some bad things about the XTR cranks what I would be getting instead would be the RF Next LPs
I think I'm going to keep my Xo derailleur and just get the XTR front derailleur. No body has been able to tell me whats so great about the XTR cranks as aposed to something else.
Also I plan on getting Magura Marta SL brakes I like Magura and they have awsome warrenty here in Quebec.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Westy
Well this is indieboy's opinion on other manufacturers carbon stay bikes
yeap, not to high on carbon stay bikes and i'm honestly surprised they are making it. it's a consumers market though.......unforuantly......

*edit* thought i'd back down from that comment huh mike? they had to do it for marketing reasons. simple as that man to sell bikes you gotta give the ppl want and for whatever reason the "big" names have put it into peoples minds that this is what they need :rolleyes: sadly it's hard to undo the damage that these big companies have done.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I've heard some bad things about the XTR cranks what I would be getting instead would be the RF Next LPs
I think I'm going to keep my Xo derailleur and just get the XTR front derailleur. No body has been able to tell me whats so great about the XTR cranks as aposed to something else.
Also I plan on getting Magura Marta SL brakes I like Magura and they have awsome warrenty here in Quebec.
you've heard bad things about the first set of chainrings on em that went out that didn't last long. that problem has since been fixed. then you've probably heard stuff about poor chainlines. that's due to the fact that retarded mechanics who shouldn't be working on bicycles are not setting the cranks up properly. there are a set of spacers that allow you to adjust the chainline depending on a number of things.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yeap, not to high on carbon stay bikes and i'm honestly surprised they are making it. it's a consumers market though.......unforuantly......

*edit* thought i'd back down from that comment huh mike? they had to do it for marketing reasons. simple as that man to sell bikes you gotta give the ppl want and for whatever reason the "big" names have put it into peoples minds that this is what they need :rolleyes: sadly it's hard to undo the damage that these big companies have done.

Just trying to keep you honest.;)

I don't know much about roadbikes but carbon stays on a ti frame just seem silly to me. Wouldn't a ti rear end ride just as well as carbon and actually be able to handle a nasty crash? At least someone who wanted to get that kind of bike could get what should be the best from IF. If people will buy it why not make it?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well how does this sound

Titanium frame
Skerab Super fork
Cane Creek Zonos Ti disk wheels
XTR crankset and chain
XT cassettes and front der
Sram X.0 derailleur and shifters.
Magura Marta SL brakes
Cane Creek headset
Selle Italia SLR Ti seat
Time Atac pedals
Richey WCS bar ends
Stem ? Not sure
Bar ?Not sure
Seatpost? Not sure
Tires depends

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Westy
Just trying to keep you honest.;)

I don't know much about roadbikes but carbon stays on a ti frame just seem silly to me. Wouldn't a ti rear end ride just as well as carbon and actually be able to handle a nasty crash? At least someone who wanted to get that kind of bike could get what should be the best from IF. If people will buy it why not make it?
well that's why all along i've never liked it, even on aluminum bikes. mainly b/c tubing has gotten so nice over the years that you have such a nice selection of tubes to choose from it's crazy. lots of different manipulations (different buttings n what not) can be used to fine tune the ride to give you want you want.

i think the carbon seat stays would be able to handle a nasty crash, but i don't think a set of carbon chainstays would.

but yeah the markets there only b/c these larger companies have made ppl believe that this is seirously what they need. like sheep being rounded up by a sheep dog n it's shepard. they'll still sell a lot of bikes sans carbon seatstays.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ok well how does this sound

Titanium frame
Skerab Super fork
Cane Creek Zonos Ti disk wheels
XTR crankset and chain
XT cassettes and front der
Sram X.0 derailleur and shifters.
Magura Marta SL brakes
Cane Creek headset
Selle Italia SLR Ti seat
Time Atac pedals
Richey WCS bar ends
Stem ? Not sure
Bar ?Not sure
Seatpost? Not sure
Tires depends
is cane creek one of your sponsors? b/c ifthey are then use their headset but if they aren't get a deal on the king dude. everything sounds good cept the xtr front. get one of the 02's w/ out the parrel push (just the regular cage) for supah cheap. thomson stem n seatpost and an easton carbon bar.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
is cane creek one of your sponsors? b/c ifthey are then use their headset but if they aren't get a deal on the king dude. everything sounds good cept the xtr front. get one of the 02's w/ out the parrel push (just the regular cage) for supah cheap. thomson stem n seatpost and an easton carbon bar.
You mean get XTR front but the old kind?
I think i'm going to go with the EC70 bar I don't think you can get thomson stuff here I asked onec but you can't get it in quebec:( I would love it otherwise i'll just get something thats as close as possible. And yes I have to go with Cane Creek

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
You mean get XTR front but the old kind?
I think i'm going to go with the EC70 bar I don't think you can get thomson stuff here I asked onec but you can't get it in quebec:( I would love it otherwise i'll just get something thats as close as possible. And yes I have to go with Cane Creek
yeah the old one like an 02 or an 03. you can probably just find an 02 for much cheaper though through someone.
and i'm sure we can work something out to get you some thomson stuff dude.