Quantcast

My new spinning class

First - I have to say that most of the people are in better shape than I am right now and I'm in no position to make fun of any of them - having said that......

you can always tell the "spinners" from the "riders"

SPINNERS
cycling shoes are squeaky clean
you can see the underwear line through their spandex (ew)

RIDERS
wear shorts beat to hell with holes in them
shoes are muddy and crusty

:cool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I use to have to friggin take off my eggbeater cleats and change them to SPD ones before each class because I only had one pair of riding shoes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have taken one spinning class. I got dirty looks because I was just wearing running shoes and regular shorts. I thought it was funny because I was the only regular biker there. Good workout though, during the winter I spend a lot of time on the spin bikes, but I prefer to do it by myself.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:
I have taken one spinning class. I got dirty looks because I was just wearing running shoes and regular shorts. I thought it was funny because I was the only regular biker there. Good workout though, during the winter I spend a lot of time on the spin bikes, but I prefer to do it by myself.

I spend a good amount on a spin bike in the winter too - at home, alone. But I like the classes every once in awhile. The racer in me comes out and I can "race" the other people. I am pathetically addicted, I know.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
I use to have to friggin take off my eggbeater cleats and change them to SPD ones before each class because I only had one pair of riding shoes.
Oh, you just answered my question. I use Crank bros. also. I guess I could take the cleats off my old riding shoes :mad:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heidi said:
I spend a good amount on a spin bike in the winter too - at home, alone. But I like the classes every once in awhile. The racer in me comes out and I can "race" the other people. I am pathetically addicted, I know.
I did the same thing, I'd give the housewife next to me my war face. I figured I won the "race" because the puddle of sweat under my bike was at least 10X the size of anyone elses.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Going to be taking my first spinning class this winter, offered by RIT. So what I'm seeing is the bikes have SPD pedals attached to them? Couldn't I just swap out my Time pedals onto the bikes?

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
My frend is an instructer and he has talked me in to taking spinning classes this winter. We see spinners in the shop all the time. People who just spin and don't ride crack me up.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Does anybody else think its a little over the top seeing roadies in full race kit at a spinning class at 5am. Shoes, socks. shorts, racing jersey and racing hat?

It was too much for me, plus I couldn't handle an hours worth of the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack that early in the morning.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
My Thurs morn class is so freaking annoying.
People get there and "save" their bikes at the buttcrack of dawn. The class is 5:45 and you have to get there at like 10 after to get a bike.
They try to form this "circle".
The other day I was stretching and someone moved my bike closer to their "circle".
I moved it back.
They are total freaks.
I don't like to be up someone's ass while I'm working out.
(that's just gross lol)

And yes it freaks me out when they wear race kits.
I got it.... you really ride. Thanks for proving it to us.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
iresmoke1 said:
The other day I was stretching and someone moved my bike closer to their "circle".
I moved it back.
They are total freaks.
I don't like to be up someone's ass while I'm working out.
(that's just gross lol)

That is scary. I bet they try to smell your seat after you're done.

And some of these people actually do walk out of there thinking they won the race. :nuts:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
iresmoke1 said:
My Thurs morn class is so freaking annoying.
People get there and "save" their bikes at the buttcrack of dawn. The class is 5:45 and you have to get there at like 10 after to get a bike.
Funny (in a pathetic way) how spinning regulars get so territorial about "their" bikes. The last gym I went to, MBC and I would get there 15-20 minutes before class just to give us time to get dressed and change pedals. We'd grab any ol' bike. We didn't care. Well apparently, we were intruding on some regulars' turf, because we started showing up and there were already towels and water bottles on some of the bikes. Pathetic. I don't give a rats ass what bike I use.

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
I can't stand that ! You have to actually sign in at my gym. God help you if you didn't get your hand stamped. I sign in but I don't want the damn stamp on my hand. Looks like I went clubbing by the end of the week.
There is a definite click going on at my gym.
I'm typically anti social and I don't like to talk or make eye contact at the gym.
Some of our instructors are way too into it. There was a guy who literally fell off his bike b/c it broke. The instructor didn't even stop to see if he was alright. I was the only one to get off and ask him if he was alright. Only thing bruised was his pride (and I would have died if it was me!). They didn't want their heart rates to GOD FORBID drop.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
iresmoke1 said:
Some of our instructors are way too into it. .
Next time someone moves your bike closer to the circle, you should move it obnoxiuosly close to the point where your bumping into the person.

AND if your instructor does the annoying "pretend you are getting ready to pass someone and speed up" You must shout out "ON YER LEFT!" in you best redneck accent! Feel free to talk to your bike as well, "C'mon baby, help me get up this hill and we'll beat all these assholes!"

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
DVNT said:
Next time someone moves your bike closer to the circle, you should move it obnoxiuosly close to the point where your bumping into the person.

AND if your instructor does the annoying "pretend you are getting ready to pass someone and speed up" You must shout out "ON YER LEFT!" in you best redneck accent! Feel free to talk to your bike as well, "C'mon baby, help me get up this hill and we'll beat all these assholes!"

LOL
I'd probably end up being the coolest SPINNER EVERRRRRRRRRRRR

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I just laughed out loud at the thought of someone walking in fully decked out for DH runs......when they go to the slow grind tempo of hills yell "No thanks, I am going to take the shuttle up!!!!!!!!!!"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
haha where's the shuttle..... :p

i just joined the YMCA a week ago and on a day off i went in to look over the weight machines. Well i went in and saw a bunch of people in bike gear, i was thinking hmm this is strange. Well anyways i asked the girl at the desk if i could join in and she said sure. i'm such a newb...
anyways i rode with everyone there and they were really helpful orientating me to the bike and the drill. i was dyin, i'm not used to "blowing my wad" in an hour like they do. i kept up but i'm used to conserving so i can ride 3 to 5 hours nonstop with plenty of energy. And the lack of a breeze caused me to sweat like a pig haha. it was a good experience overall and i'll certainly do it again, but not regurlarly like they were asking if i could do, which was nice.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm doing my first one tonight. This hot chick talked me into it. After reading this thread, I'm really tempted to show up there with body armor and full face helmet :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
That's funny - I've done a few classes and no one shows up in anything even remotely close to cycling gear... and I know a few of them are riders. Just the bikes are pretty dated and can't handle clipless.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Echo said:
I'm doing my first one tonight. This hot chick talked me into it. After reading this thread, I'm really tempted to show up there with body armor and full face helmet :D
Haha - Do it! There was a guy at the CX race this weekend in full armor except a regular helmet. He even had a spinal cord protector thingie on!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I did my first spin class monday night, oui do i hurt today. i havent done any LT work in 3 months and it show's.
i just wore kind of regular work out clothes but i'm going to get rid of all cotton next time and just use my normal biking clothes, cotton sucks.

Spinning classes are funny, but the funniest ones are in europe, where I am right now.
To begin with mullets are the coolest ****. And yes...the instructor of the class I have been going to has a freakin´ mullet.

On top of that they do that spinning at Mach 10 thing....don´t they know that´s bad for you, you always need some resistance.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I HATE THEM ALL! Went to work out last night and casually walked over to the last bike open. About 10 feet away from it a guy runs past me to the bike I was planning on using and throws a newspaper on it and acts like he is too busy messing with his shoes to notice me GLARRING AT HIM. F"N PRICK!

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
DVNT said:
I HATE THEM ALL! Went to work out last night and casually walked over to the last bike open. About 10 feet away from it a guy runs past me to the bike I was planning on using and throws a newspaper on it and acts like he is too busy messing with his shoes to notice me GLARRING AT HIM. F"N PRICK!
It's a serious issue.
You should have kicked him in the balls.
That's what I would have done.

:nuts:
j/k

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
just got back from my first spinning class EVER, dams that was a workout - I was really suprised how much resistance there was even at the lowest setting - but I guess they just replaced of the pads

it was good - It might become a sunday morning ritual - but damn, I smell right now :rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i just tried it for my 1st time sat morn...wow am i out of shape! but, this seems like a good way to shed some fat and build some leg strength.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
last night was #2...the old fat gay guy and skinny old man w/ a grey skullit owned me...as did most everyone else in the class. ouch. couldn't stand and spin for the required times, had to take safe haven on the saddle. how long before i'm not such a weakling?