Quantcast

My new TR450: 44lbs of radness

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Built up the new rig the other day, I think it came together well. Weight is a touch over 44lbs, and I couldn't care less::weee:

Ride report- will have to wait until my knee surgery recovery is complete. But this thing shreds the parking lot test:rolleyes::D

In all seriousness, the geometry feels spot on, and I can't wait to get it on the trail.

And yes, I know I need to chop the seatpost and shorten the brake hoses.

Still a few small issues, namely the boxxer axle. Anyone have issues with the axle not tightening the hub properly? It there is some play in the wheel, but I know it's not the hub since it is brand new and doesn't have the same play in my other forks. Anyone? Might have to call sram.

[EDIT]: It's actually not the fork that is causing the problem, it is the hub. I swapped every 20mm wheel I have with every 20mm fork, and isolated the problem to the hub. Which sucks, since it is brand new. Sorry for the false blame Sram, looks like I'll be calling Azonic.

Anyways, some pictures.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
You will not be disappointed, Transition nailed it with the design. I've been riding/racing my TR450 this whole season and couldn't be happier.

Of course, at the moment it just stares at me all lonely in the garage because I'm injured and can't ride :(

Like the others said, where's the weight hiding? Mine is just a touch over 40 lbs. Do you have motorcycle tubes in those tires?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Looks like you thought about being spontaneous when you chose those grips. You thought, "Hmmm, I want to look conservative with this white, but I also want to show my spontaneous side with these blue grips because I don't want everyone to see my blue grips all the time so I maintain a certain conservative reputation all the time."

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Fixed for you. :D
But it wouldn't even exist if it weren't for a crew of super hardworking guys in Ferndale WA. The bike could be made in Afghanistan it wouldn't matter its still 'Merican designed and well built so FO with the whole "if it ain't US made it ain't worth it" schpiel. Oh I forgot you're completely on Intense's jock.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nice bike. 44 lbs is kind of surprising though. I've got a Blindside that isn't blinged out at all, and according to my "not for legal trade" bathroom scale, it tips in at 43.5. (size: medium). I only run DH tube in the rear.

And yes, that's what she said.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Is that a vivid i see. You'll have to let me know how it feels. Im running the RC4 on mine and love it. My build. She is a tad under 41 and half. Cheers. Sweet lookin 450. Id post a pic of mine if hadn't reached my upload limit

Frame: Transition TR 450 (L)
Rear Shock: Fox RC4
Fork: Rock Shox 2010 Boxxer Team
Wheels: 09 Deemax
Bars: Chromag Fubar OSX
Stem: Sraitline Direct Mount Ultra
Pedals: Straitline platforms
Cranks: Saint 815-1 165's
Chainguide: LG1+
Grips: ODI Ruffians
Brakes: Avid Code 5's 203 F/R
Chainring: E13 DH Chainring 36T
Cassette: PG 970 DH 26-11
Seatpost: Raceface evolve DH
Seat: Funn Skinny RL
Tires: Schwalbe Muddy Marys
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9 short cage
Shifter: Sram X9

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Thanks for the comments!

I was a bit surprised at the weight myself. Although, as guessed, I do have Kendas thickest 2.25mm DH tubes front and rear. I hate pinch flats, but I may be able to downsize if I have no problems with these.

Not sure where the rest of the weight comes from, I know the howitzer BB isn't light though. But it was weighed on an ultimate scale, so I think it's accurate anyways.

As far as the vivid, hard to say just riding around the neighborhood. It feels like it needs to break in a bit, there is some initial stiction right now. And to be honest, I mostly went with the Vivid because I ran out of money:p
Wanted to put the DB on there, but couldn't come up with the funds.

Yes, the grips were added to give a bit of color;)

I saw that pinkbike thread about the boxxer axle, hopefully mine is an easy fix too..

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You started the patriotic BS! :disgust1:

But it wouldn't even exist if it weren't for a crew of super hardworking guys in Ferndale WA. The bike could be made in Afghanistan it wouldn't matter its still 'Merican designed and well built so FO with the whole "if it ain't US made it ain't worth it" schpiel. Oh I forgot you're completely on Intense's jock.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Codes. Tires. Tubes. BB/Crank. Pedal. Steel shock coil. Seatpost/Saddle. Extra brake hose length. Chainstay/seatstay wraps.
Still doesnt make sense.... 44 still seems hi for this bike. My blindside in a large frame sits a nutthair under 42 with a heavy build on it.... Maybe the OP should try another scale... maybe something wrong with the scale used.

Just that 44 lbs on a bike like this seems heavy, unless a friend thought it funny to drop some bike chains in the frame..... Or fill the tubes with water

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I hate to break it to you, but bikes over 40lbs aren't allowed on Ridemonkey.

:)
Yeah man, 44 pounds is nearly 50 pounds. Here on RM, if your trek doesn't weigh 33 pounds, or your canfield doesn't weigh less that 30 pounds, you are not allowed to post pics. Just go get some middle burn cranks and twenty6 pedals then we can talk.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I hate to break it to you, but bikes over 40lbs aren't allowed on Ridemonkey.

:)
I'm here to start a revolution against ridiculous builds:D

I'm not too worried if it is 'actually' 44lbs or if my scale is off, it feels pretty light while riding it. I'm gonna blame the DH tubes for the extra poundage. There is not much else it could be.

I've even got carbon headset spacers! Bling!:p

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just weighed my TR450 (09 Boxxer WCs, DH tubes, Minion dual plys, basically no silly components) and it came in at 40.88lbs and that's with powdercoat instead of paint. Only things I'd say are lighter are a ti spring and an LG-1.

But that's before bell and reflectors.

mro

Chimp
Jan 17, 2009

my one is about 40lb without carbon stuff

TR 450(S size) /RC4 350lb Ti spring
07 888 SL + Funn D/M stem
full set XT Drivetrain set (cassstte=11-34)
XT + saint caliper breakset
saint crankset (165mm )+ wellgo MG1 padel
LG1 guide
36T chianring
Chris Kings +DT 2.0mm spoke + 729+ braking 203 disc
Michelin DH tyre + kenda tube
Sixpack bar & seat post
cannondale grind grip
WTB saddle

easy to build within 36-40lb

very good for riding and handling in our narrow route!!

happy riding

Last edited: