Brakes: Avid CODE 2007 8"
Drive Chain:
07 Truvativ Holzfeller 1.1
E13 Chain Ring 36TSilver
XR BB Truvativ 50mm
FUNN Viper Soljam sealed
07 SRAM PC-991 Cross Step chain
08 Shimano Dura-Ace CN7700 Cassette with Ti rings 11~23
07 SRAM X9 Shifter with Nifty Matchmaker gadget!
07 SRAM X9 Short Cage Derail
Gamut P30 Chain Guide with new bashring design
Cockpit:
SDG I Beam Seat post
SDG Bel Air Saddle SL Black
Sunline BoXXer direct mount 50mm
Sunline V one bars 31.8mm with 19mm rise 745mm Wide
ODI Rogue Lock On Grips
Weight: ???
Upgrades to come: Stans Tubeless, Black lowers with red decals
Pics

mmm... new lowers

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
With all the bend tubes from other manufacturers these days this frame almost looks old school in a good way. Nice bike and good build.

Weight?

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
NICE!!!
I loved mine...it was so sad to see her go.
different things this year!

Transmental

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Australia
After cleaning out my headset yesterday arvo I decided to give this a crack.
Put the Fox Van 36's that are sitting in the shed on the nicolai.:eek:

After reading up on the travel setting of the UFO frame I discovered its able to be set at 165mm, 175mm, 185mm, and 195mm. So I know have a bike with the same geo as the bottlerocket and 160mm upfront and 165mm rear travel. Bottom bracket hight is almost the same too!:D

It gets even better! In 5 min I can have the Boxxers back on and in DH mode

S

seespotendo

thats a very lovely bike. :brows:
one question though...
what is the purpose of that little link thats below the shock?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
After cleaning out my headset yesterday arvo I decided to give this a crack.
Put the Fox Van 36's that are sitting in the shed on the nicolai.:eek:

After reading up on the travel setting of the UFO frame I discovered its able to be set at 165mm, 175mm, 185mm, and 195mm. So I know have a bike with the same geo as the bottlerocket and 160mm upfront and 165mm rear travel. Bottom bracket hight is almost the same too!:D

It gets even better! In 5 min I can have the Boxxers back on and in DH mode
i decided to go with the UFO ST as well. i was on a bottlerocket, which i loved, but i'd always dreamed of a nicolai and when the chance to buy one came around i jumped on it. the fact that the geo is so similar is all the sweeter.

nicely done sir.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thats a very lovely bike. :brows:
one question though...
what is the purpose of that little link thats below the shock?
missed this on my first drive-by. the "link" below the shock is there to strengthen the frame. compression forces driving up from the rear axle through the rear shock will put stress on the ST/DT junction at the bottom bracket as the force is working to push the DT forward through compression. that link is a rod that joins the ST and DT and holds them together, reducing the likely hood of the DT "flexing" forward away from the ST. how big an impact is this on performance, and is it even needed? i have no idea, but it gives me something to do with my wrench set while i watch TV and gives me the chance to talk to many strangers about the oddity of the design; it is quite the conversation-piece.

edit, upon further thought, i wonder if Nicolai deems this more helpful and needed in this application because the pivot point is welded to the ST. on other non-linkage single pivot frames, like the Orange/Moorewood style, the pivot and the shock mount are welded to the DT. on bikes like the kona, the linkage allows the shock to be mounted to a junction between the DT and the ST, and the force is pushing the shock down against that junction, not directly against the ST or the DT.

Last edited:

Transmental

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Australia
i decided to go with the UFO ST as well. i was on a bottlerocket, which i loved, but i'd always dreamed of a nicolai and when the chance to buy one came around i jumped on it. the fact that the geo is so similar is all the sweeter.

nicely done sir.
Thanks,
I also was on a bottlerocket, but soon found its limits on a DH track, So this bike is truely awesome!
The bottlerocket now hangs in the shed but this is what she looked like