Quantcast

My Public Apology to Skookum

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have decided to make a public apology to Skookum, not so much for the initial offensive comment but more for my reaction and subsequent comments. The internet is a strange place and one really does not often know how ones comments will come across. In “real life” I am not a generally offensive person but I am often flippant and never serious. It’s just the way I am. I do recognize that other people are different and that if you want to be friends with them you simply have to accept them as they are or just move on. Skookum is not the kind of guy I want to blow off or ignore. The fact is that I have a lot of respect for him as a person. Not only is he one of the most intelligent guys I have ever met, he is also one of the friendliest, least assuming bad assed trail riders I know. I am not shy about voicing my respect for someone – I have done so with Skookum on more than one occasion.

Skookum and I have a history that involves personal conversations about an issue he takes very seriously – I knew this but choose to repeat the offending phrase in an offhand manner, in a public forum because I was ignorant about the depth of his conviction. I have my own feelings and views as they pertain to certain racial issues – I am not ashamed of them and I often discus them openly. Unfortunately they were not relevant to this issue. I have finally realized that my views versus Skookum’s views are not the problem. This should have been a quiet, personal matter between friends but my misguided reaction lead to a public feud – hence the need for a public apology.

Regardless of what anyone may think about Skookum and his on-line personality, I personally know him to be a stand up guy who would go out of his way to honor a friends requests. My failure to respond in kind was the cause of our disagreement and the root of Skookum’s disappointment – for this I apologize in the most unconditional way possible. Skookum was right to call me out; my immediate and subsequent responses were wrong. End of story. Now it’s time to ride.

Well there you go. Writing this apology was not difficult – recognizing the need for it was. This is the first serious post I have ever made on a public message board, I hope it will also be the last. I have deleted all of my offending posts, However words, once written or spoken, can never be erased by those who have heard or read them.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by the BIG cheese
:thumb: i expected nothing less from you:)

edit - wtf ummbikes, why'd you get rid of the thread?
I am not sure why the exact reason ummbikes deleted the thread but I did ask him to. When the thread was started he was not aware of why Skookum was so angry - many of the responses were based on incomplete knowlege if the entire situation.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I am not sure why the exact reason ummbikes deleted the thread but I did ask him to. When the thread was started he was not aware of why Skookum was so angry - many of the responses were based on incomplete knowlege if the entire situation.
uhh, no offense, but that thread was beyond just the two of you. Lots of good discussion was going on as well as quality sarcasm. You can always apologize for saying something stupid, but once a thread is deleted, it's gone.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
uhh, no offense, but that thread was beyond just the two of you. Lots of good discussion was going on as well as quality sarcasm. You can always apologize for saying something stupid, but once a thread is deleted, it's gone.
But the memories still remain... ;) ;) ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I have decided to make a public apology to Skookum, not so much for the initial offensive comment but more for my reaction and subsequent comments. The internet is a strange place and one really does not often know how ones comments will come across. In “real life” I am not a generally offensive person but I am often flippant and never serious. It’s just the way I am. I do recognize that other people are different and that if you want to be friends with them you simply have to accept them as they are or just move on. Skookum is not the kind of guy I want to blow off or ignore. The fact is that I have a lot of respect for him as a person. Not only is he one of the most intelligent guys I have ever met, he is also one of the friendliest, least assuming bad assed trail riders I know. I am not shy about voicing my respect for someone – I have done so with Skookum on more than one occasion.

Skookum and I have a history that involves personal conversations about an issue he takes very seriously – I knew this but choose to repeat the offending phrase in an offhand manner, in a public forum because I was ignorant about the depth of his conviction. I have my own feelings and views as they pertain to certain racial issues – I am not ashamed of them and I often discus them openly. Unfortunately they were not relevant to this issue. I have finally realized that my views versus Skookum’s views are not the problem. This should have been a quiet, personal matter between friends but my misguided reaction lead to a public feud – hence the need for a public apology.

Regardless of what anyone may think about Skookum and his on-line personality, I personally know him to be a stand up guy who would go out of his way to honor a friends requests. My failure to respond in kind was the cause of our disagreement and the root of Skookum’s disappointment – for this I apologize in the most unconditional way possible. Skookum was right to call me out; my immediate and subsequent responses were wrong. End of story. Now it’s time to ride.

Well there you go. Writing this apology was not difficult – recognizing the need for it was. This is the first serious post I have ever made on a public message board, I hope it will also be the last. I have deleted all of my offending posts, However words, once written or spoken, can never be erased by those who have heard or read them.
That was too many words i couldnt get past the second sentence....:monkey: ;) :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I feel like i just walked into a party late, and two drunk guys are standing there, battered and swaying, with bloody noses and black eyes, cradling beers, and saying 'I lOVE YOU MAN!' waaaaay too loudly. Accompanied, of course, by boisterous hugs, which are getting blood all over there shirts.

(One of them's really short, too.)

MD

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by MikeD
I feel like i just walked into a party late, and two drunk guys are standing there, battered and swaying, with bloody noses and black eyes, cradling beers, and saying 'I lOVE YOU MAN!' waaaaay too loudly. Accompanied, of course, by boisterous hugs, which are getting blood all over there shirts.

(One of them's really short, too.)

MD
Hah!!!!! Totally.:rolleyes: ;)