Quantcast

My Specialized is made in the USA!!! *

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Dude, have you ever lived in America?
Taiwan, where most of the ultra-trick good shit is made, is a hell of a lot cleaner, safer and more equitable, with better educational and health outcomes and a higher degree of social mobility than almost any place in the United States.
Not to mention they have bicycle culture and bicycle infrastructure that we can only dream about.

I'm all about domestic manufacturing, but let's be real, "work" in America is a fucking joke/wide awake nightmare.
Sounds like you need to move! I'm not saying anything about Taiwan (they do have some "trick shit" as you say), nor did I ever say America was the best place to make a bike, although GG seems to be making it work (really fucking well). But a lot of frames are made in the ROC, which is a wee bit different than Taiwan. Well, for now...All that may change if/when Xi Jinping goes full Pootin and "acquires" Taiwan for reasons.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Lovely knowing that both Trek and Specialized have moved away from molded DH bikes... that, to me, means DH is going in the right direction right now...
So why do you feel that things are moving in the right direction if they're moving away from molded carbon DH bikes to alloy bikes? I'm not arguing the point, just wondering what your thinking is. Easier to make running changes?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sounds like you need to move! I'm not saying anything about Taiwan (they do have some "trick shit" as you say), nor did I ever say America was the best place to make a bike, although GG seems to be making it work (really fucking well). But a lot of frames are made in the ROC, which is a wee bit different than Taiwan. Well, for now...All that may change if/when Xi Jinping goes full Pootin and "acquires" Taiwan for reasons.
Assuming we ignore the string of robberies.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Alex (works @ Specialized for 20+ years) -
Mr. Sinyard, I've worked here for 20 years and have had some ideas that helped us win events that include the TDF, the DH WC and even the Olympics. I've worked my way around this company since I was in my young 20's. I've been in engineering, R&D and worked with our suppliers/supply chain. I've been the "boots on the ground" in China and Taiwan. I've even been in the pits at some of the biggest races in the world- To prove we're the BEST bicycles in the world!

Sinyard- What's that Tommy? I couldn't hear you over the vacuum cleaner...