Quantcast

N* Sun Aug 8th

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Hrm, I remember my friend saying Fox was busy or somethin for a couple of weeks? His shock blew out on his foes and he can't have it done this weekend, or else he'd be goin too.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Acadian said:
if that happens, you can rent some nice hiking shoes and do some EXTREME WALKING down the runs!! :thumb:

:devil:
Very funny.. :oink: I ask so I can get someone else to come with me, but I don't have a spare bike for em to ride! Am I goin to finally meet you as well (that is, if I don't flake)? :D

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
DLo said:
Does N* ever run out of rental bikes?
FYI, I asked one day about reservations, and they told me first come first served. Unless you are staying there with one of the package deals which obviously you aren't.

tenille

Chimp
Sep 9, 2003
purgatory
DLo said:
No. All Karpiel owners are curb huckers and posers, nothing more.
hey now...there's some pretty big curbs in my 'hood. :D
and being a poser is tons of fun!

wish i could play at n* this weekend, but instead i've decided to drive for 18hrs to see how many runs my cracked fork can handle :( i think i'm going nutty...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
tenille said:
hey now...there's some pretty big curbs in my 'hood. :D
and being a poser is tons of fun!

wish i could play at n* this weekend, but instead i've decided to drive for 18hrs to see how many runs my cracked fork can handle :( i think i'm going nutty...
Well that sucks, I was hoping to see you.:(

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Howdy,
I'll be there on the 7th. Is that close enough? The whold trip on the 14th and 15th fell apart, but I convinced my wife to head up for one day this weekend, so we are there on the 7th. See you there.

Scott

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
bushwacker said:
FYI, I asked one day about reservations, and they told me first come first served. Unless you are staying there with one of the package deals which obviously you aren't.
Oops, I missed this post. I guess I'll just have to get there as early as possible if I bring someone that doesn't have a ride. Brian, my other post wasn't directed towards the ride. But, I'll call you up friday or saturday and we'll see what happens. I hope they keep gas at $1.99 a gallon for the next week :D

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
As of now, I'm still a go. I'll probably drive myself Brian, and I *may* have another guy come along. Uhhh, I'll call you later tonight on your celly. Probably meet you and drive up together?

I think I'm going to be usin clipless.. I'll just bring my platforms just in case. Watch this one bite me in the ass :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DLo said:
As of now, I'm still a go. I'll probably drive myself Brian, and I *may* have another guy come along. Uhhh, I'll call you later tonight on your celly. Probably meet you and drive up together?

I think I'm going to be usin clipless.. I'll just bring my platforms just in case. Watch this one bite me in the ass :D
good to finally meet you DLo!! Hope Yvan (sp?) is okay?

mudanoman

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bay Area
Luc, nice meeting you out there. Everything is fine. Actually pulled a couple more runs after the little mishap. Thanks for your concern though. Cheers, Ivan

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
doh! I should of gone up today insteading hangin around town... How was the traffic today? I went up to auburn and the traffic coming down the hill was miserable!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
mudanoman said:
Luc, nice meeting you out there. Everything is fine. Actually pulled a couple more runs after the little mishap. Thanks for your concern though. Cheers, Ivan
Oh..I didn't even know you were a member of RM :thumb:

Glad to hear you are okay tho! you were killing it on that SX!! :cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yeti DHer said:
doh! I should of gone up today insteading hangin around town... How was the traffic today? I went up to auburn and the traffic coming down the hill was miserable!
It wasn't that bad, took only an extra 25 min to get through the mountains, I thought it would be a complete nightmare so kinda lucked out.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
I was there on the 7th. I have a few new bruises, and a few new scratches on the bike, but all in all had a really good time. Did you guys hit the new drop at the very bottom of Pho Dog? It's really nice. By far the coolest man-made yet at N*. There is a wood ramp that drops down to the big burm above the old chairlift. 3-6 foot drop depending on what angle you go off, and you have to turn about 45 degree in the air to match the off-chamber landing. Lots of fun :dancing: I even like the new stuff in the play area at the bottom of the quad lift. They put chicken wire on a couple of snowboard boxes. Close enough to a skinny to play on. The "draw bridge" is pretty lame, but at least it works. I think someone has been riding "A River Runs Through It" in Canada (they have the same stunt there). Any other cool new stuff I missed?
I tried the new trail that runs between Karpiel and Flameout. I was not impressed. They have 2 singles and what looks like a double jump, but the ground is pretty rough to hit any of it with enough speed, and if you are going fast enough to clear the double, the last single is going to hurt... I quess it is still a work in progress... Hope everyone had fun.

Scott

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I think that's part of the race course that you are talking about. I wasn't all that impressed with it. There was a kid there both days this weekend on a Giant DH Comp killing it.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
ooofff, my arms seemed to take the most beating yesterday but my thighs are gone. Weird. I had a great time with you all. The weird thing about Northstar is, while I can usually try and follow someone on dusty trails... I can't there! Gotta let the dust settle from the first rider before I can even think of goin on the trail, them rocks just jump out of nowhere.

I think carnage wise I'm ok, with the exception of that fork bumper idea that didn't work. Maybe I heard wrong from the guys at go-ride. I'll probably bug you about the Zokie one soon Brian.

It was good meeting you, Luc and Carlos, and Slice? who isn't on the board. I was goin to just upload the videos but there's no audio! I don't know why the helmet cam didn't work with the audio, now you don't get to hear me cussing at every little mistake I made :D I'll see how it goes, be checkin around with my friends to see if they have any N* footage. Helmet cam only footage can get kind of boring for a lil video.

Hope to ride with y'all soon at DisneylandFerBikes.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Yessir.. I will get to work on it tonight. Forgot one other name to the list, finally met Mike :D That's some pretty damn impressive riding, watchin from the lift :dead:

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I'm workin on the video now.. I don't think I pulled it out until we split up with Luc and Carlos huh? :( Darn. Brian, what was your bud's name again? You called him Slice, or should I just leave it as that?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
DLo said:
I'm workin on the video now.. I don't think I pulled it out until we split up with Luc and Carlos huh? :( Darn. Brian, what was your bud's name again? You called him Slice, or should I just leave it as that?
His name is Todd, but we call him Slice.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Well.. sorry for taking forever. 3 parts finished. I think. It's a pretty sloppy job. Last of it is Dogbone, the one with the slabs at the beginning? I will try to have this done by tomorrow. There's alot more bloody footage than I thought. I'm beat.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Well, I'm pretty sure I've covered all the trails that was used in the footage, except for one last one. It's the one that starts with the rock slabs. Once that goes in, I think I'll be done. After that, I'll convert to .mpg and then upload....

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
DLo said:
Well, I'm pretty sure I've covered all the trails that was used in the footage, except for one last one. It's the one that starts with the rock slabs. Once that goes in, I think I'll be done. After that, I'll convert to .mpg and then upload....

The rocks slabs is dogbone. Dogbone eventually splits up and goes right, while karpiel goes left.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I am jealous of you. I wish I went there often enough to know that place like my backyard :P

I ran into some technical difficulties. I ain't goin to sleep until I at least get this thing uploading. I hate computers :angry: :mumble:

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Alright... here we go. It'll be up in 3 hours from now. Most of it is just raw footage with the breaks all cut out. Figured it would be nice for those who have never been out here to see the entire trail. I think alot is in there, from Karpiel, to Meander, to the stores at the bottom. Took me way too long to do it, I guess I made this harder than it really should have been :D

Oops. Forgot to add, please right click save. It's about half an hour long, and 300 megs. I'd say pretty high quality. I'll put out a lower quality one after I get the final cut done.
http://www.freerideracing.com/movies/final.mpg

There are some little quirks that I should work out, I didn't watch the entire thing yet. Let me know if anything goes wrong.

For you guys that know the trails really well, if you could, please tell me the trail names and just list the time in the video. I can add those in when I go back to fix my mistakes.