Quantcast

Narrow Wide Longevity?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So I've been running a 34t RF narrow wide with a x9 type2 derailleur since the end of December..Until a few weeks ago I never dropped a chain even while blasting rock sections after sloppy shifts..I could not get the thing to fall off..

fast forward 2.5months and 400miles and I've been having issues dropping the chain..

The cassette is new enough it shouldn't be the problem..there is a brand new chain and I've tightened the crap out of the clutch..

The clutch had loosened some..(I check it before I ride and give it a little turn)..tightening it solved the more frequent drops on smoother bits of trail but its still coming off sometimes when attacking rock sections at full speed..

My question is: how much time are you guys getting out of your narrow wides? I would think 400miles in 99.9% dry conditions wouldn't have it losing it's effectiveness..

If I have to start running a chainguide I will just go back to a 2x setup..rarely lost a chain..I cant stand the drag of a chainguide for climbing..

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Pure speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if the RF rings wear quicker than the ones from Wolftooth, Sram, and maybe Northshore Billet. I've got a 34 N/W RF ring on my all trailduro bike and it's only dropped once when a big rock bashed into it, otherwise it's been great, and I've had it for several months now (not sure about the mileage tho). IMO, it looks like it worn in a good bit, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it, although since I run a top guide and a clutch derailleur, its probably still functional.

Given how inexpensive they are, it's not a big deal to replace them, although I may eventually give another pricier option a shot to see if it lasts longer.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
ONEup stuff has been great so far.

check the clearance page. I don't know what your setup is but you may be able to save some beer $.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Am changing out my crankset this season to one using one of these chainrings-types; non-issue because I will always run a chainguide but am a bit pessimistic having this be the only chainring style able to fit the crankset. It'd have to wear faster due increase interference over a single-ring, regardless of the maker.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
yeah...i get maybe 400-500 miles out of my racefaces before they start dropping...may also need to tighten up my derailleur a bit...34t running 1x10 on an x9 with a oneup 42 tooth. i also run a oneup top guide and the chain will still drop to the inside occasionally.

i'll admit, i don't service my stuff as much as i could. all reviews/comparisons of the renthal seem to indicate that they last longer without paying an extra $30-40 for a steel wolftooth.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure I've even killed one. I've been rocking the same one on my fatbike for 3 winters, I have two others, one is new on a new bike and the other's seen several seasons of use. I may have bought one to put on the RFX when I built it, just to refresh it, but I can't recall any failures of any kind. Chain dropping is likely due to clutch or something else iMO.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I've had good luck with my Blackspire snaggletooth N/W chain ring on my hardtail. 104 bcd and pretty reasonable price - although I mainly got it because it says "snaggletooth".

Wolftooth DM ring has been good for me too, but it's pricey. Both seem to last/perform better than the RF offerings.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
I've been running the $20 steel one from SRAM. Definitely don't need a bash guard and they last forever.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x-sync-steel-chainrings

I wear out aluminum ones in around 3-6 months depending on useage. Mine wear out and get bad chain-suck from the teeth getting all shark fin shaped. I think the new eagle tooth shape should prevent that (haven't tried one yet). Also I run a top-guide on my bike so I can't comment on chain retention vs wear.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I've been running the $20 steel one from SRAM. Definitely don't need a bash guard and they last forever.

I wear out aluminum ones in around 3-6 months depending on useage. Mine wear out and get bad chain-suck from the teeth getting all shark fin shaped. I think the new eagle tooth shape should prevent that (haven't tried one yet). Also I run a top-guide on my bike so I can't comment on chain retention vs wear.

Happen to know of anybody that makes a steel ring for a DM cinch?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

is that ^^ the same fitting/standards as RaceFace direct mount cinch?
Be handy to know for when I need to replace drivetrain on the one 11speed bike I own.

On all my 4 bolt cranks I just use £12 Superstarcomponents or £10 On-one NW rings. (they always come around hugely discounted) I have these on 4 bikes. My wear rates probably won't interest anyone as they are on a variety of 8, 9, 10 and a singlespeed set-up (plus I ride lots in the wet) but none of them have worn out in anywhere near as short a mileage as quoted in the OP.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
is that ^^ the same fitting/standards as RaceFace direct mount cinch?
Be handy to know for when I need to replace drivetrain on the one 11speed bike I own.

On all my 4 bolt cranks I just use £12 Superstarcomponents or £10 On-one NW rings. (they always come around hugely discounted) I have these on 4 bikes. My wear rates probably won't interest anyone as they are on a variety of 8, 9, 10 and a singlespeed set-up (plus I ride lots in the wet) but none of them have worn out in anywhere near as short a mileage as quoted in the OP.

Negative ghost Rider, not the same spline pattern. That would actually make sense.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Have you tried rotating it a quarter of a turn? I have had good luck with that on my different NW chainrings. One of the reasons I'm so hesitant to switch to oval. + it feels like a oval should last a shorter time compared to a round one because of added force in just one place in the stroke.

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Extra $30-40 for steel? m7000 chainring is steel and $25 total on Jenson. Shimano 4 life.

BTW, m7000 chainrings are steel even though jenson says aluminum.
They apparently are aluminum rings with steel teeth, so longer life without all the heft. Has anyone spent some time on one without a chainguide?

Doesn't look like anyone is making a Cinch 94BCD spider to use SRAM rings, yet. T'would be rather smart if someone did.

Last edited:

Cau Boi

Chimp
Dec 8, 2016
32 rf nw bought in may 2016, now i have to replace. Bad I think, for a 70% gravity - not pedaled season..

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which one is the Monkeys approved do it all bike chain device atm?
Perfectly happy with the flawless chain retention performance of both of these:
One-up components chainguide .
TRS+
and do not require RM approval for my choices. ;)
My most do it all bike is a hardtail (ride it everywhere I've ridden any bike -from BMX to Road, 4X, CX, XC DJ, SS, DH & Derp) and somehow I'm managing to get away with no chainguide what so ever. Just a Zee mech and cheap NW.
I reckon it's because it's 10 speed and doesn't run a big wide ratio cassette = way less flappy whappy chain to jump around in the first place.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Perfectly happy with the flawless chain retention performance of both of these:
One-up components chainguide .
TRS+
and do not require RM approval for my choices. ;)
My most do it all bike is a hardtail (ride it everywhere I've ridden any bike -from BMX to Road, 4X, CX, XC DJ, SS, DH & Derp) and somehow I'm managing to get away with no chainguide what so ever. Just a Zee mech and cheap NW.
I reckon it's because it's 10 speed and doesn't run a big wide ratio cassette = way less flappy whappy chain to jump around in the first place.
Must be the Scottish mud. Got chain suck? :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah... one thing some of you warm climate guys may never fully appreciate is how much better at shedding mud and retaining the chain a NW with no guide (or just a top guide) fitted actually is.
I've had chains lift off the ring, jam and just plain not turn from riding in mud with the RM (ok... maybe just Woo) approved chain retention option.
Bike weighs a good bit lighter by he end of the wet manky (but oh... so much fun) day too.

kinda loving mud riding at the moment (which is obvz just as well)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nah... one thing some of you warm climate guys may never fully appreciate is how much better at shedding mud and retaining the chain a NW with no guide (or just a top guide) fitted actually is.
I've had chains lift off the ring, jam and just plain not turn from riding in mud with the RM (ok... maybe just Woo) approved chain retention option.
Bike weighs a good bit lighter by he end of the wet manky (but oh... so much fun) day too.

kinda loving mud riding at the moment (which is obvz just as well)
Yeah, I noticed this, gone were the days of the chain sifting around through the gears, coming off the front ring, etc. With the NW and clutch it just seems to cut through mud and muck, much better than before anyways. We get lots of mud riding up here, what isn't a mountain is either open water or swamp, with the swamp sometimes on the mountain.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
My climate.

So warm

I do admit, setting up chainguides is kind of its own IQ test.

Kinda like riding the right sized wheels in ruts on a 27.5 frame.
My buddy on the west shore said he didn't have power or water for 6 days last week.... and he had to shovel over 7ft out of his driveway.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My buddy on the west shore said he didn't have power or water for 6 days last week.... and he had to shovel over 7ft out of his driveway.
Yep. It's been like that. There's so much snow in the trees, these friggin 80 foot pines are dropping all the over the place, taking out cars and roofs. The struggle is real.

I did just walk out to my garage and spin the cranks on my trail bike that I haven't touched since october. Chainguide still works flawlessly through all this. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yep. It's been like that. There's so much snow in the trees, these friggin 80 foot pines are dropping all the over the place, taking out cars and roofs. The struggle is real.

I did just walk out to my garage and spin the cranks on my trail bike that I haven't touched since october. Chainguide still works flawlessly through all this. :D
No brake rub from your rotors? :busted: