Quantcast

Narrow Wide Longevity?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Which one is the Monkeys approved do it all bike chain device atm?
The One Up ones are awesome. Cheap, light, easy to set up, and they work.

I just run an upper guide. Maybe if I lived somewhere rockier I'd reconsider but half decomposed tree stumps are pretty soft.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The One Up ones are awesome. Cheap, light, easy to set up, and they work.

I just run an upper guide. Maybe if I lived somewhere rockier I'd reconsider but half decomposed tree stumps are pretty soft.
I have a 77designz Freesolo atm, it's super light, keeps the chain in check but it's rather weak. I'm on the second replacement carrier plate right now, it's bending quite easily. How is the OneUp holding up?

Woo's MRP suggestion sounds not too bad too.

Until I made the switch to 11 spd I was on the Gary no-device-needed train, but with 11th gear came the need. I just mounted a X01 derailleur+shifter instead of an X0 derailleur+shifter with 11spd selector wheel, maybe all my probs are nonexistent ones again.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
In my experience, it didn't take long for the NW ring to wear and the chain would get thrown in teh gnar. I'm talking a hand full of rides. Basically I learned to always run a guide with the 1x setup, no matter how NW/stainless steel the ring. But I do live in the rocky mtns. We don't really ride in the kind of mud that cakes on your bike. That's a big faux pas. Mr.P guides from CO FTW. (I use the 1x and the AMg).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What are you guys doing or what's the difference here? I've beat my NW to hell and back, DH races, DH rides, and I don't get this crazy wear or dropped chains. Is this some funky chainline issue, derailleur? Chain length? If South Mountain won't throw a chain, not much else will. Sram XX1 ring and normal poopy X9T2 derailleur.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a 77designz Freesolo atm, it's super light, keeps the chain in check but it's rather weak.
Yeah... and the shape of the top guide isn't half as good as the One-up one.
They hold up great
but even if they didn't they supply you with 2. just a pity the spare is ENDURO GREEN

:'(

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I notice a huge decrease in chain retention after about 200 miles. Adding the One Up upper guide has improved life and retention but not by a huge margin.

Due to the large chain growth on my bike (Norco Sight) I always seem to find myself with too much chain in the fun gears... I've tried a couple cage lengths with Shinano but nothing seems to play nice with my particular bike when running 32x12:36.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I notice a huge decrease in chain retention after about 200 miles. Adding the One Up upper guide has improved life and retention but not by a huge margin.

Due to the large chain growth on my bike (Norco Sight) I always seem to find myself with too much chain in the fun gears... I've tried a couple cage lengths with Shinano but nothing seems to play nice with my particular bike when running 32x12:36.
What rear derailleur?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

If only there were some sort of tensioning device. Something coupled with a guide of some sort. Something that you could just set and forget.

*sigh*

Oh well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I found your problem

That was on a hardtail fat bike wasn't it?
At 55mph downhill on a bike, shit bounces around no matter what.

I did have my chain come off twice though, once when a branch jammed in between my chain and ring, the other time my derailleur had worked loose and was about to fall off. Flying through the air, landing all crazy, slamming drops, nope. I'm glad those "chains come off" days are over. What was even better was when your chain jammed in the chainguide or somehow between the ring and bike. Back I'd literally be guaranteed a spot on the shuttle in Phoenix heading down late due to a bike being taken out of the action on the first or second run, often a wild chain jam.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've tried a wide range Zee, medium cage XTR, and medium cage XT.

Right?
SRAM? They invented 1x supposedly their clutch is moar better. I used to hate them, but now it's all I run in the rear. Sram+no dropped chains=moon volcanoes.