Quantcast

NASCAR saved my Demo8

Crusher

Chimp
Jan 15, 2006
GSO
Filing or grinding the weld flush won't hurt strength. Just don't remove any base material (original frame material). Good looking weld though. I inspect structural parts and welds for a living, that repair will be almost good as new. :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
motomike said:
I love how people on here are second-guessing the welder from BDR who did your frame. That's glorious. :love:

Yeah, Someone who pays the bills welding on cars that go 200 MPH Vs. Someone who welded in high school...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Crusher said:
Filing or grinding the weld flush won't hurt strength. Just don't remove any base material (original frame material). Good looking weld though. I inspect structural parts and welds for a living, that repair will be almost good as new. :thumb:
werd. it was your mention of welding it that got me to thinking about it. thanks! :thumb:

now i just have to get my dh tire back on my mag30. it only took me an hour and 3 broken tire levers to get the dh tire off and the xc tire on for the XC race i did on it last week :redhot: i'm gonna have to get a MX tire lever before i try that again. :nuts:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
motomike said:
I love how people on here are second-guessing the welder from BDR who did your frame. That's glorious. :love:
Everyones an expert! "Well, my bike was welded therefore I know all about welding". :rofl:

Crusher said:
Finally someone who has credability and posts it!

chicodude said:
Yeah, Someone who pays the bills welding on cars that go 200 MPH Vs. Someone who welded in high school...
No kidding. People think NASCAR teams are a bunch of dumb hicks drivin thier daddys car. Those days are loooong gone. These days you'll find people with PHD's in engineering working on those cars. I welded horse corrals for a living for a while and can lay down a pretty good bead myself. High school welding is funsey, hobby welding.

Great story Manimal! I happen to be a NASCAR fan (I love ALL auto racing, pretty much) and can say that those people are very nice and really know how to treat the fans. Cop hook-up or not they could have easily givin you some advice and said go find a local welder in town and sent you on your way. It's awsome that they took time to fix it for you and explain that it will be as good as new. And man, the Demo on the cruiser is awsome. That would make a great poster or something like that. :thumb:

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Ideally the bike should be re-heat treated as there will be local grain mis-alignment around the weld bead, trouble is re-heat treating it is a complex process that could damage the frame further if it wasnt done correctly. Best to leave the weld as it without filing it down and ride the thing and just keep an eye on it.