Quantcast

National Sa-TRAILS-ur-DAY

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hell froze over...not really, it hit 103 here today but I digress

I was out on my road bike and flatted. no biggie I always carry a pump , patch kit, plus two fresh tubes. What was amazing it that two large packs of team riders came by and both groups slowed and asked if I had everything i needed. I gave a thumbs up and a thanks for asking. That never happens, usually they just blow on by. I figure it was because it was effing hot out in the boonies where we were and nobody should get stuck out there on a day like this.
Maybe Korea really will disarm.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello Monkeys, I have turned a new leaf and will spell monkeys correctly from now, its a respect thing. I have nothing new going on but I did pop for the over priced / over engineered tire pump. It is awesome.

After an extended period off the bike and some minor elective surgery I am back on the trails and back to my normal level of assholiness so life is good. Since I can now ride everyday I have decided to mix it up and get my road bike legs back and build my endurance for pedaling instead of pushing the high mountain trails. I have been using Sidi Dominators and SPD pedals on my road bikes since I switched to flats a couple of years ago, I like the combination but my feet are now too large for my old 42 size so now I need new ones. My dominators are close to 15 years old and have had no issues so I am likely to get another pair.

I am out of the loop on the current clipless / spd favorites so any suggestions on brands or models that might be a better choice would be appreciated. I like like a lot of arch support and a wide footbed so Sidi may no longer be a good choice for me.

ALSO @jdcamp - POWER ON.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also got out on some of our handi-work today. I had bought a 2.3 minion for the front of my bike thinking my i30 rim will push it out a little. Nope. I was having trouble transitioning to edge on it and I just couldn't rail turns.

Put it on the rear, put my old Vredstien Bulldog 2.35 (more like 2.4-2.5) back on up front. It balloons to a nice rounded profile.

Holy ****, what a difference. My bike is back. I can rail turns again and roll into more aggressive angles and just "stick" a line under hard G. That minion DHF is terrible for the front...but works nice in the rear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hello Monkeys, I have turned a new leaf and will spell monkeys correctly from now, its a respect thing. I have nothing new going on but I did pop for the over priced / over engineered tire pump. It is awesome.

After an extended period off the bike and some minor elective surgery I am back on the trails and back to my normal level of assholiness so life is good. Since I can now ride everyday I have decided to mix it up and get my road bike legs back and build my endurance for pedaling instead of pushing the high mountain trails. I have been using Sidi Dominators and SPD pedals on my road bikes since I switched to flats a couple of years ago, I like the combination but my feet are now too large for my old 42 size so now I need new ones. My dominators are close to 15 years old and have had no issues so I am likely to get another pair.

I am out of the loop on the current clipless / spd favorites so any suggestions on brands or models that might be a better choice would be appreciated. I like like a lot of arch support and a wide footbed so Sidi may no longer be a good choice for me.

ALSO @jdcamp - POWER ON.
Clipless pedals is something that Shimano has managed to not fuck-up yet. Pretty soon they'll probably have a 1.5" axle spindle standard or something, but for now, everything from 520 to XTR is great IMO. I have weight-weenie xpedos for XC racing, the bearings don't hold up though for aggressive use. I have some time pedals for winter, they are ok, but don't quite engage/exit as easy as the tried n true SPDs. If you like crack and buying 15 year old german cars hoping you'll find the one that actually works, Crank Brothers might be for you.

Welcome back.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
I was out on my road bike and flatted. no biggie I always carry a pump , patch kit, plus two fresh tubes. What was amazing it that two large packs of team riders came by and both groups slowed and asked if I had everything i needed. I gave a thumbs up and a thanks for asking. That never happens, usually they just blow on by. I figure it was because it was effing hot out in the boonies where we were and nobody should get stuck out there on a day like this. Was cool though
No - it's because you're old, Gramps.

:D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

ALSO @jdcamp - POWER ON.
I have big feet. size 13 (47) EE the Giro Sotto Boa sold by Performance have a wide toe box. as for road pedals I prefer Look

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Home now. Hung out with the Kitty and took a long luxurious cool shower. Easily a hour long. Somebody did my laundry, cleaned up the kitchen, and bought a new roll of TP (Cottony soft kind I don't buy) after they cleaned the bathroom. Fresh towels were appreciated and smelled awesome.... In some ways I am pretty lucky.... 2 Positrons good2 go...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Clipless pedals is something that Shimano has managed to not fuck-up yet. Pretty soon they'll probably have a 1.5" axle spindle standard or something, but for now, everything from 520 to XTR is great IMO. I have weight-weenie xpedos for XC racing, the bearings don't hold up though for aggressive use. I have some time pedals for winter, they are ok, but don't quite engage/exit as easy as the tried n true SPDs. If you like crack and buying 15 year old german cars hoping you'll find the one that actually works, Crank Brothers might be for you.

Welcome back.
Oh, thanks! I have been running PD M959s so there is no issue there, shoes are what I need. I have a set of campy chorus pedals from the original kit but I do not like them. I used Crank Bros egg beaters for 1 ride (2002?) and promptly switched back to Time Attacks which sucked a little less...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Watching the Isle of Mann TT. Fucking nuts. Leaned over at 150 MPH a few inches from stone walls and telephone poles. I think an average of two people die there each year.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Last ones I had were the 29er DH 2.5 versions. Those were ungodly awesome, traction for days. Course you couldn't turn at speed due to the massive gyroscopic force and they rolled like ass, but for a day of DH you mostly left with smiles. I know they've been running skinny...but this was ridiculous.