Quantcast

"Native" American? Not so fast kemosabe...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't think it shatters them, just expands them.....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 has repeatedly shown his inability to think in anything other than the most narrow terms. If this is now correct, that other stuff must be wrong. 1010101

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The dating for the big migration into the Americas has been questioned for a long time. A lot of archaeologists have taken the stance that the date probably should be pushed back, but there has been no evidence for pre-Clovis occupation. It is a case of "we think something might be true, but we won't claim it until we can back it up." Of course, there have been other sites that preliminary evidence suggests will push back the date of colonization but then turn out to be less than solid, e.g., Monte Verde in Chile.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DNA said:
The dating for the big migration into the Americas has been questioned for a long time. A lot of archaeologists have taken the stance that the date probably should be pushed back, but there has been no evidence for pre-Clovis occupation. It is a case of "we think something might be true, but we won't claim it until we can back it up." Of course, there have been other sites that preliminary evidence suggests will push back the date of colonization but then turn out to be less than solid, e.g., Monte Verde in Chile.
I have a Clovis point which my dad found in the 1940's... it's a cool artifact.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Look, N8 is a tool and we all accept that, even N8 accepts it but ocassionally diamonds surface.
How the earth was populated is not a cut and dried issue and new theories are coming out all the time. This particualr idea may be idiotic but plenty haven't been. It's a pretty cool area of study especially as a lot of the populating was done at the end of the last ice-age hence a lot of the initial sites are now under water. I found the article quite interesting.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
valve bouncer said:
This particualr idea may be idiotic but plenty haven't been.
Not to defend this study or anythinbg since we know next to nothing about it (like what the stratigraphy is like or what dating methods they used), but there have been other significant finds and dating of footprints like. Laetoli in Africa comes to mind.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DNA said:
Not to defend this study or anythinbg since we know next to nothing about it (like what the stratigraphy is like or what dating methods they used), but there have been other significant finds and dating of footprints like. Laetoli in Africa comes to mind.
I'm not talking about that mate. I'm talking about things like the idea that spaceships planted people here (obviously idiotic) or that humans evolved seperately on different continents (less idiotic but highly unlikely).

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
valve bouncer said:
I'm talking about things like the idea that spaceships planted people here (obviously idiotic) or that humans evolved seperately on different continents (less idiotic but highly unlikely).
I get it, THAT idiotic stuff. Nevermind.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
valve bouncer said:
I'm not talking about that mate. I'm talking about things like the idea that spaceships planted people here (obviously idiotic) or that humans evolved seperately on different continents (less idiotic but highly unlikely).
Hey now.... :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't remember the exact numbers quoted but scientist beleive that the chance of any species leaving evidence in the fossil record is 1 in 100 ( or was it 1 million?). The chances of then finding that fossil is even less likely. Developing detailed theories of migration of a certain species is going to be a guess at best and will continue to change as new evidence presents itself. The large lack of evidence leaves the door wide open for some pretty wild theories.

My current favorite is a theory that the mitochondria in our cells were originally bacteria that evolved into a symbiotic relationship with other cells.

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/images/origin_of_mitochondria_in_eukary.htm

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I thought this was going to be another Ward Churchhill thread.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
genpowell71 said:
I dont know why its so hard to believe that God was the creating force behind the universe.
It's not. But that still doesn't mean that mitochondria weren't once bacteria, either.

MD

E

enkidu

genpowell71 said:
I agree completely with you. I'm sure there were alot of things 10K years ago that were not as they are now.
And a lot of things that are way beyond our comprehension happening right now. . . from infinitesimal sub-molecular level to the infinite cosmic ends. . . and especially in the depths of each human thoughts, body and soul.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
enkidu said:
And a lot of things that are way beyond our comprehension happening right now. . . from infinitesimal sub-molecular level to the infinite cosmic ends. . . and especially in the depths of each human thoughts, body and soul.
Likewise...

On one hand, we have books, written by humans in human language and translated through several languages and over thousands of years, often in conflict with one another.

Or, we have the world, which, if you believe in God, is God's creation/gift. It, if God exists, bear his/its intentions and contains his mysteries.

Which more accurately helps us discover God?? My bet's on the world.

Now, lots would then argue that manipulating the world, which is what science does, is religiously abhorrent, but that's a different story, and then requires you to get into the "what does God want" argument, which the world doesn't so accurately answer. Which is another reason that I don't preoccupy myself with trying to guess what God wants. I do what I think is best, based on where I am and what I've learned and what I feel, and figure that it's all working out in the end...if there is a God, we're all serving God's purpose somehow.

MD

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
we're here for a good time, not a long time, so let's have a good time, the sun cant shine everyday.

My theory is that we are just as random as any other atom but, we all have a purpose. What the fvck that purpse is??? far beyond me, treat others as you wish to be treated, so on and so forth (my cliche quote). This evening i saw a dude get his face stomped, he was a bouncer and the dudes that had the tiff got there cumupins too. I will just never understand the violence that is man. Maybe that the veggie in my talkin. raaaamble ramble on. GIVERS AND TAKERS...

homer-"we saved your ass in ww2"
Lisa's future husband-"we saved yours in ww3"

at moes,,,, lets all throw a pint and forget that feelings feel.

E

enkidu

MikeD said:
Likewise...

On one hand, we have books, written by humans in human language and translated through several languages and over thousands of years, often in conflict with one another.

Or, we have the world, which, if you believe in God, is God's creation/gift. It, if God exists, bear his/its intentions and contains his mysteries.

Which more accurately helps us discover God?? My bet's on the world.

MD
Books and the world. . . I take both as a continuum of a whole organic body. My bet is on both. (I am greedy:D)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
johnbryanpeters said:
Your bank account and credit card information, please.

MikeD said:
The airspeed velocity of a laden swallow?
You guys are hereby cristened as members of my special tribe The Schtikaka Meniks (Chicken ****tz) and no longer have to consort with the smelly dumb sons of invaders from the White Locust Klan.