Quantcast

NBR: Changing tires on mountain slopes...

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I just wanted to share a non-biking "adventure" with oodles of girl power ;) ...

So I've been working on an extreme peak in Hawaii, specifically Mauna Kea at 14000 ft for the past 2 weeks (hence the odd times at which I have been writing on the forum). I am working at an observatory that might as well be on Mars (no vegetation, eerily silent, freezing, Mars-like terrain, ancient dorment volcano that had glaciers during the last ice-age).

Anyways, we (a group of 4 of us) have been doing observing shifts on a NASA telescope from 5pm to 9am (we observe in the infrared and can look at planets and stars throughout the night and even in the daytime). We "live" (i.e. sleep and partake in cafeteria food) at 9000 ft, but work at night on the summit.

I had been up since 5pm on my shift and it was now midnight. We received a call from one of the replacements down at 12000 ft that he had a flat tire on his way up the summit. I volunteered to go down and help, since I had changed tires on these Explorers before. I got about 5 miles down the mountain when I came across him. Poor guy (a little older and more experienced, might I add) was frustrated and at wits end. I promptly pulled out a flash light and messed with the ridiculously slow jack, pumping the truck up on the sloped pavement in below freezing conditions. Ultimately, we wrestled the tire on and I threw the flat tire in the back of the truck. The poor frazzled guy said, "damn, you're a monster". And I said, "yeah...I work out". ;)

Hehe.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
That's amazing! Its great when girls learn those type of skills--thanks for helping to get rid of stereotypes. Sounds like you are doing some really cool stuff there at Mauna Kea! I've always wanted to go there. Are you an Astronomist or Geologist or something?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
yeah, i am an astro person. Trying to get a phD out of it....only a year left!!! Tonight we looked at Saturn, Io, Jupiter, and Neptune doing various studies. I'm getting a little homesick...ready to leave soon :)