Quantcast

NC/SC/TN monkeys, halp plz!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, it looks like I am spending some quality vacation time in the deep South and in the Smokies, soon. We'll fly to Savannah and make our way North, eventually making it to the mountains. I don't have the exact itinerary, yet. I have 10 days, airline tickets to Savannah, but I am still undecided about the flight back. If I fly directly from Charlotte, the return tickets will save me $400 compared to a flight from Asheville. Flights from TRI are a little cheaper but not substantially. What do you think, how bad is the drive from Asheville to Charlotte during a weekday? Also, what sort of loop through the mountains makes sense? I am thinking (roughly) about Savannah -> Charleston -> Greenville -> Pisgah Forest -> Cherokee -> Gatlinburg -> then bear northeast-ish -> ?? -> Pisgah NF -> loop to Asheville -> fly back home. I have two weeks to figure this out but need to book the tickets home soon. No bikes this time, some limited hiking (as much as wifey's knee permit).

TIA!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
for the nc side of things, i'd spend a day in the smokies-Nantahala. You could probably wander around asheville for a day; brevard is the gateway to pisgah and dupont (great hiking, waterfalls)-the Red House Inn is a great place there-owned by bikers. the drive from asheville to the clt airport is 2:00, but you might consider spending a day in clt. there are a bunch of museums, and also the whitewater center. another option would be to take the blue ridge pkwy up from asheville to the blowing rock area and then driving down to clt.

tell us more-do you have kids? what else do you like to do, etc.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...

Unless you drive a Camero, are entertained by lumberjack dinner shows, have a low putt-putt handicap, and love pancakes. Then by all means... enjoy.