Quantcast

~ NCS entry fees. another hit to the racer! ~ RANT ~

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
Just so you know, you will need a UCI license to race in Canada.
Eligibility and Licence Requirements
Canada Cup events are open to all riders who are in possession of either a full International licence or a one-event membership. Foreign riders with a UCI recognized licence, may also enter Canada Cup events. Domestic licences of any origin are not acceptable. Proof of a valid licence must be provided at the time of race kit pick up, or upon demand by a race official. Riders who fail to produce a valid licence will not be permitted to compete underany circumstances. Riders are solely responsible to ensure that all licence requirements are met.

One-Event Membership
The sale of one-event memberships is permitted for citizen, beginner and sport categories only. A limit of three (3) one-event memberships per season may be sold to a single individual. Riders are obligated to upgrade to a full licence after the third event. One-event membership shall not be sold to expert and/or elite riders. These categories must hold a full licence. Riders should consult their provincial/territorial associations for the restrictions on one-event memberships.

Note: In Canada, the process of administering and issuing licences is under provincial/territorial jurisdiction. Policies and procedures may vary across Canada.

Note: New policy concerning athletes in possession of a NORBA domestic licence. These participants will be permitted to purchase a one-event membership in the equivalent category as stated on the NORBA domestic licence. This will include all categories up to and including Expert. Elite category status is reserved exclusively for international licence holders.

Fraser,

I got this from a 2002 Canada Cup rule book I had from a while ago. Do you know if it is still acurate? I'm only an Expert level racer.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
this is really depressing.

alex isn't there a local durango series of races? how about the arkansas series? i really can't afford to do nationals if entry is going to be $150.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lex said:
Eligibility and Licence Requirements
Canada Cup events are open to all riders who are in possession of either a full International licence or a one-event membership. Foreign riders with a UCI recognized licence, may also enter Canada Cup events. Domestic licences of any origin are not acceptable. Proof of a valid licence must be provided at the time of race kit pick up, or upon demand by a race official. Riders who fail to produce a valid licence will not be permitted to compete underany circumstances. Riders are solely responsible to ensure that all licence requirements are met.

One-Event Membership
The sale of one-event memberships is permitted for citizen, beginner and sport categories only. A limit of three (3) one-event memberships per season may be sold to a single individual. Riders are obligated to upgrade to a full licence after the third event. One-event membership shall not be sold to expert and/or elite riders. These categories must hold a full licence. Riders should consult their provincial/territorial associations for the restrictions on one-event memberships.

Note: In Canada, the process of administering and issuing licences is under provincial/territorial jurisdiction. Policies and procedures may vary across Canada.

Note: New policy concerning athletes in possession of a NORBA domestic licence. These participants will be permitted to purchase a one-event membership in the equivalent category as stated on the NORBA domestic licence. This will include all categories up to and including Expert. Elite category status is reserved exclusively for international licence holders.

Fraser,

I got this from a 2002 Canada Cup rule book I had from a while ago. Do you know if it is still acurate? I'm only an Expert level racer.
As far as I know, they no longer recognize domestic licenses from any nation. This includes NORBA. A UCI license, canadian license, or one day license are required last I heard.

UCI licenses here ARE canadian federation licenses. My pro/elite UCI license is $90cnd via the quebec federation.

Luc: NB is raping on charges too! Only $90 here in Quebec.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
dcamp29 said:
this is really depressing.

alex isn't there a local durango series of races? how about the arkansas series? i really can't afford to do nationals if entry is going to be $150.

durango might have a series. silverton is outlaw

you should come down to cloudcroft.

aca will let anyone buy a oneday licence.

it is a great fun race with cash payout to top 3!

AR is norba check the calender i put up on here, it is down a few pages.

seth says AR races are short but fun. with cash to pay for the weekend.

NM will have a few more races like los alamos and mabey albuquere WE will
have a payout.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
yeah it's $100 this year...
Ah ok, that isn't too bad. Altho, it is only $70 here for an expert level license.

Quebec felt bad and actually added a quebec cup only license for $40 for all levels I think. Awesome way to get beginners or guys who wont leave the province an opportunity to race.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
ok question, i am a jrx racer and might be racing mt snow, snoeshoe, idaho, and snowmass. last year i payed 25 to race beginner at mt snow. how much am i gonna be paying per this year?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
only utah has the killer high entrys.

you will pay prob $55 or so each race

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
are these prices only for deer valley?

i checked out snowmass' event site and cliicked the "register online" icon, and it says that i only need to pay $55 to race pro DH?

i hope deer valley is a huge typo or something, and they fix it

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
davetrump said:
are these prices only for deer valley?

i checked out snowmass' event site and cliicked the "register online" icon, and it says that i only need to pay $55 to race pro DH?

i hope deer valley is a huge typo or something, and they fix it
Ths is what I am inclined to think. But seeing as it is across the board, it seems like it is the proper pricing for this event. Even if it is only this one event, it is unacceptable.

I have emailed USA and TBB to find out, but everyone is probably at SeaOtter.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i remember when it was between $15 & $25 to enter a mtb race... Nationals were aroun d $30... am I that old? :( NO!
gah.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
bcd said:
only utah has the killer high entrys.

you will pay prob $55 or so each race
So is this for both Deer Valley and Brianhead?
Just great, they raise the price for the two nationals that are closest to me.

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
It doesnt really seem that expensive. Isnt the U.S. Open at Diablo $75 for pro and thats not even a national race?

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
thespackler said:
It doesnt really seem that expensive. Isnt the U.S. Open at Diablo $75 for pro and thats not even a national race?
But US Open has a huge cash payout......

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
$75 for three days of riding ALL DAY... not crappy two hour morning sessions like nationals. not to mention the $5000 to the winner and lots of cash for the rest of the top 10 too (and good prizes like a sunday frame to the amature class... not some crap prize). complimentary food and drinks for the open/pro class. top notch organization, and constant trail maintence to keep the track from rotting away throughout the weekend. the only event where you actually get what you pay for.

the problem is not so much the amount, but the fact that the riders get nothing in return at ncs races. going from $55 to $85 with no positive changes passed on to the riders is absolute bull sh*t

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
davetrump said:
$75 for three days of riding ALL DAY... not crappy two hour morning sessions like nationals. not to mention the $5000 to the winner and lots of cash for the rest of the top 10 too (and good prizes like a sunday frame to the amature class... not some crap prize). complimentary food and drinks for the open/pro class. top notch organization, and constant trail maintence to keep the track from rotting away throughout the weekend. the only event where you actually get what you pay for.

the problem is not so much the amount, but the fact that the riders get nothing in return at ncs races. going from $55 to $85 with no positive changes passed on to the riders is absolute bull sh*t
exactly.

If they brought back the pro/media buffets, 6 hours a day of practice and could build a decent course to save their lives, and brought back a decent (ie: E1 caliber) payout, I wouldn't mind paying $75 to race.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
Never thought I would see the day there would be more NORBA Nationals in Utah than any other state....what a crime.
:-)
NORBA Is trying to reduce alcohol usage with racers and convert them to being mormons..didn't you hear?

That way we will give over all of our money to USAC.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
In all my travels, it does seem that guys do get "luckier" in Utah than in any other state...weird.
It's all about those weird chicks at Harry O's in downtown park city. Always fun to storm into with a bunch of aussies, with rennie/waddell on the roof of the van and police following close behind.

priceless.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Kirt V and Palmer hiding from cops at the top of a light post on main street park city-now thats priceless.

Oh crap, I forgot this was a RANT on TBB/Norba thread.....carry on

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
Kirt V and Palmer hiding from cops at the top of a light post on main street park city-now thats priceless.

same night i believe...when the cops busted all of the parties at the resort and everyone went downtown.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
stiksandstones said:

HAHA do tell do tell.

Stikman you should write a book, hey Lee did one.

But yeah everybody go to US Open. $75 for pros/$60 for amateurs for 4 days of riding. Practice Friday, practice/qualify Saturday, Practice/Race Sunday, Freeryde Monday. w0rd. Oh yeah and there's $20,000 prize money if you're fast enough.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
What does it take to host a race?
I think some changes need to take place.

Ridemonkey should organize unofficial races.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
Basically it takes a willing venue, a few dozen volunteers and a boatload of insurance money.
yo momma's a willing venue

oops. :o:

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
So I think I may understand why this is $75 for pro/semi-pro racers but it's still not for good cause. According to the one of the lower pages on that flyer, pro/semipro will race for a DH/super D omnium that will count for their DH points. Are they really expecting Pros and Semi-pros to all race Super-D and DH in order to get DH points. You've got to be kidding. DH racers don't train for Super D plain and simple. I can't even believe that if that's the case.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DHblur said:
So I think I may understand why this is $75 for pro/semi-pro racers but it's still not for good cause. According to the one of the lower pages on that flyer, pro/semipro will race for a DH/super D omnium that will count for their DH points. Are they really expecting Pros and Semi-pros to all race Super-D and DH in order to get DH points. You've got to be kidding. DH racers don't train for Super D plain and simple. I can't even believe that if that's the case.
That would be absurd. Maybe they are simply offering an overall omnium bonus point deal?

Either way - stupid as hell because it was basically sprung on people without them knowing. Not many pro DHers could do well on a pro-d course if they train excluseively for DH. Hell they may not even have the proper bikes?

Just another excuse to squeeze more money out of racers.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I understand that a $30 hike in fees between seasons is enough to angry up anyone's blood, but you guys should realise that you still don't have it that bad.

Here in Australia, the second-last national DH round of the year cost $90 in registration fees for an Expert (which is our second tier category, Rennie, Hill, Graves et al race 'Elite' class over here), plus $10 in late entry fees on the day. This $90/100 secured truck-shuttles for a sub-2 minute track that contained 2 climbs and got the ONLY technical section of the track out of the way in the first 50 metres. Stoked! :rolleyes:

I'd happily pay $75 for a weekend of racing with chairlift access and a decent 3-4 minute course to ride. Then again, many of the DH races in our country are a lot more backward than the racers we produce would suggest, so I'd pretty much pay $75 to ride anywhere with a chairlift for 2 days...

BTW going off the current exchange rate, $US75 = $AUS97, so fees are pretty comparable, you guys just get ****loads better tracks and facilities than we do in most cases. Although 2 of our National rounds this year were held at ski-hills with chairlifts, so I'm just cherry-picking one example to support to my case ;)

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
davetrump said:

I guess you are right. I was searching the diablo website and found this video. http://mountaincreek.com/current/video/USOPEN_promo.mov

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I am guessing this does no include lift fees. that used to be included in the MSC race fees but last year we had to buy a lift ticket in addition to our entry.

The grass roots scene looks better and better.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
FarkinRyan said:
I understand that a $30 hike in fees between seasons is enough to angry up anyone's blood, but you guys should realise that you still don't have it that bad.

Here in Australia, the second-last national DH round of the year cost $90 in registration fees for an Expert (which is our second tier category, Rennie, Hill, Graves et al race 'Elite' class over here), plus $10 in late entry fees on the day. This $90/100 secured truck-shuttles for a sub-2 minute track that contained 2 climbs and got the ONLY technical section of the track out of the way in the first 50 metres. Stoked! :rolleyes:

I'd happily pay $75 for a weekend of racing with chairlift access and a decent 3-4 minute course to ride. Then again, many of the DH races in our country are a lot more backward than the racers we produce would suggest, so I'd pretty much pay $75 to ride anywhere with a chairlift for 2 days...

BTW going off the current exchange rate, $US75 = $AUS97, so fees are pretty comparable, you guys just get ****loads better tracks and facilities than we do in most cases. Although 2 of our National rounds this year were held at ski-hills with chairlifts, so I'm just cherry-picking one example to support to my case ;)

Ok, great-BUT, according to EVERY aussie loving aussie I ever spoke with-there is no greater place than australia. Food is cheap, rent is cheap, cars are cheap, girls are cheap, clothes are cheap, gas is cheap...so after its all averaged out, your fees are about 5 bucks.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
stiksandstones said:
Ok, great-BUT, according to EVERY aussie loving aussie I ever spoke with-there is no greater place than australia. Food is cheap, rent is cheap, cars are cheap, girls are cheap, clothes are cheap, gas is cheap...so after its all averaged out, your fees are about 5 bucks.
Your grasp of international currency markets and purchasing power parity intrigues me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Our dollar is doing exceptionally well against the US dollar at the moment (80c US = $1 aussie), so it isn't actually that cheap (relatively) to live / visit here if you come from the states. Nowhere near as good as it would have been a few years ago when your dollar was worth double ours.

We pay about $US 3.50 per bushel-furlong (or is that gallon) for fuel these days, which I don't think qualifies as 'cheap' anymore.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
FarkinRyan said:
We pay about $US 3.50 per bushel-furlong (or is that gallon) for fuel these days, which I don't think qualifies as 'cheap' anymore.
i thought you rode in kangaroo pouches everywhere?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
FarkinRyan said:
Your grasp of international currency markets and purchasing power parity intrigues me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Our dollar is doing exceptionally well against the US dollar at the moment (80c US = $1 aussie), so it isn't actually that cheap (relatively) to live / visit here if you come from the states. Nowhere near as good as it would have been a few years ago when your dollar was worth double ours.

My international currency markets and purchasing power parity newsletter comes from australia-it's the gospel all the aussies preach about how great living in australia is...you want the newsletter, its in your backyard.
And yes-we are still paying too much to race here.
Thanks for posting