Quantcast

NE resort tour remix '08

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
so, a buddy and i are planning on doing a NE resort tour which will definitely include diablo (nj), plattekill (ny), whiteface (upstate ny), and bromont (near montreal).

i did a similar trip a few years ago and this time we are going to make it at least a week long trip starting around july 31st and avoiding race weekends. each day will most likely consist of a full day of riding at a resort, 3-5 hours of driving to the next resort, and camping/crashing randomly somewhere...

gas is expensive and sucks, but i can't make the trip to british columbia this year so this will be my fix for the summer.

i just figured i would throw this out to see if anyone might be interested in joining us. right now, we only have the means to transport 2 people and 2 bikes, but if anyone else a better vehicle to support the trip... gas will be split x ways (x = number of riders :D).

here is my "ride report" from 2 summers ago.
5 resorts in 5 days

bromont with extra $5 waterpark pass is WELL worth the trip:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
you could hit snowshoe, timberline WISP and 7 springs in 4 days without spending too much on fuel, they are all within 2hr drive of each other, better yet do snowshoe and T-line for two days to get the full mtn experience then hit wisp and 7 springs for a day each. PA's a lot closer to DC than CA eh? run it in reverse to get the climax at Snowshoe

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i've been to snowshoe several times and have only been to bromont once. it's well worth the trip! there's poutine, cheap lift tickets, and a nice, cheap water park next door ($5 with bike park pass) to wash and cool off in. the mountain doesn't have a lot of vert, but the vert is utilized very well and there are TONS of good trails and the lift service is amazingly fast and efficient.

wisp doesn't have enough trails, enough vert, and the lift is ungodly slow (i've done a few races there and resorted to shuttling with our own pickup). doesn't seven springs only have a few trails and like 500' of vert? if i'm paying money for lift service, i want it to be fast and have lots of variety to maximize riding time and fun. :cheers:

we'll probably hit up snowshoe sometime in july (rode there memorial day weekend). i would like to check out t-line sometime... how many trails are there and what is the lift service like?

Last edited:

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Hey Will, managed to find the internet here in BC. Wish I could provide the van but it will be up north. Let me know when you leave, Sam and I might be able to get up to Bromont or somewhere else to ride.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Hey Will, managed to find the internet here in BC. Wish I could provide the van but it will be up north. Let me know when you leave, Sam and I might be able to get up to Bromont or somewhere else to ride.
i'll shoot you an email when we "finalize" plans. have fun in BC! i'm jealous!!!

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Vermont is fun. I rode Stratton a couple years ago, pretty fun. I heard Jay Peak is cool too. Mad River Glen has kick ass skiing, I think they may have biking too. Also there all near Burlington, Vermont which is an awesome city and Ben and Jerry's ice cream is near there. Have fun!

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Thats awesome that your in Whistler. I imagine you are going or have already been to Vancouver to ride the Shore. There is a small possibility I may be going to Vancouver later this month. My cousin is a pilot for Delta and can fly me out there for like $75 with all the discounts. I bet your Giant Glory is great for out there. Have fun. CC is doing okay. I have been chasing off those little 11 year old punks.

This is Matt with the Komodo by the way in case you couldn't tell

Last edited:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
nope, the glen does not have biking, tho it has some fun xc nearby. Have fun Will, i'm in Whistler.
Sam
lucky you... the only bad news is that everything here in the northeast will only be a disappointment after riding all the amazing stuff in BC. :bonk:

we are lucky to have what we have, but are geologically challenged here with smaller mountains and demographically challenged with a lot less gravity riders, diggers, and support. i love our east coast riding, but damn if our mountains couldn't suddenly quadruple in size and our gravity riders multiply by a few orders of magnitude...

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
You should check out Mount Saint Anne in Quebec. I heard they have built a "shore" type area. Also didn't they have a world cup race there recently.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
man that sounds like an awesome trip. I would love to go but i dont think I could until late august. I was planning a similar trip earlier in the year to spend the week at bromont either the week before or after the WC race. Let me know how it is!:cheers:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
mobius, jason (not on RM), and myself will be making the trip. we still have a few minor details to work out but as it stands the trip is tentatively looking something like this:

Tue, 07/29/08 - Leaving DC and hitting up some local DJ spots in NY and Syracuse and then driving up as far north as possible

Wed, 07/30/08 - Bromont

Thu, 07/31/08 - Bromont

Fri, 08/01/08 - Whiteface

Sat, 08/02/08 - TBD (most likely Highlands)

Sun, 08/03/08 - Plattekill

Mon, 08/04/08 - Diablo

Tue, 08/05/08 - TBD, most likely just heading home

:cheers:

BillWC

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
Hit Highland you will not be disappointed. Tons of stunts and a super technical mountain, not something to be missed. By the time you're up here they should have the slopestyle course open to ride too, and that things looks huge.

Bromont is a ton of fun, wish I could go back sooner. Hit a town called Granby, it's like a 15 minute drive but has a sweet little strip with plenty of kick ass pubs and some very good "adult entertainment".

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
So, we had to shift a few things around, but this looks like our "final" plan. Lots of driving, but there will be lots of riding and I will get to hit up 2 places I have never ridden before (Attitash and Highlands).

Mon - Drive up to Syracuse, ride some local spots and DJs, and then head up to Whiteface
Tue - Ride Whiteface and then head up to Bromont
Wed - Ride Bromont and Waterpark
Thu - Ride Bromont and Waterpark and head down to Attitash
Fri - Ride Attitash and then head down to Highlands
Sat - Ride Highlands and then head to Plattekill
Sun - Ride Plattekill and then head to Diablo
Mon - Ride Diablo and then head home

Map of the Trip

~1,600 miles and 7 resorts... I'll have an official report when we get back next week. It's 3 of us splitting driving duties hauling a trailer and each bringing a DH bike and DJ bike. Costs will be about $200 per person in gas and about $250 per person in lift passes.

Last edited:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
3 of us (maybe a few more meeting us up there) are heading to highland next columbus day weekend. we plan to drive up most of the way thursday night and ride all day friday, saturday, sunday, and then head back monday with a pit stop or two on the way back to do some dirt jumping in NYC.

if you haven't been, plan a trip up there and bring both a DH and DJ bike. the park is exclusive to bikes and is open into november.

fyi, highland has it's slopestyle course open to the public:
http://www.vimeo.com/1759159