Quantcast

Need a favor...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I had a job interview yesterday that went pretty well. The salary is negotiable, so if they offer it to me, I'd like to have some ammunition for the negotiating.

Could you take a minute and go to salary.com. Look up your job (or the closest thing to it) in your area and see if the pay range they report sounds reasonable. I checked a few IT related fields for my area and the salaries seemed awful high to me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I had a job interview yesterday that went pretty well. The salary is negotiable, so if they offer it to me, I'd like to have some ammunition for the negotiating.

Could you take a minute and go to salary.com. Look up your job (or the closest thing to it) in your area and see if the pay range they report sounds reasonable. I checked a few IT related fields for my area and the salaries seemed awful high to me.
ha... man mine always seems to low....

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
jacksonpt said:

They seem kinda high to me, I"ve checked before. What position are you looking at exactly?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
s1ngletrack said:
They seem kinda high to me, I"ve checked before. What position are you looking at exactly?
Closest thing I could find on their site was a Data Architect II under IT - Software. They reported back of range of $55-$76k as the average salary range in my zip code. The job I'm looking at is probably going to be in the mid to high 40s. I should add that the job is with a state university, so...

Basically, the job consists of 3 major areas:
- Development (60% of my time): database backed web applications, dynamic front ends and reporting tools
- Advising (25%): research/evaluate new technologies, make recommendations appropriately
- Support (15%): train office staff on new solutions/applications, support campus offices as necessary

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Mine seemed kind of high. Either that or I am underpaid. Wait a second, I work for the state University, of course I am underpaid.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
jacksonpt said:
Closest thing I could find on their site was a Data Architect II under IT - Software. They reported back of range of $55-$76k as the average salary range in my zip code.
Ah, but if I drop it down to Data Architect I, then the salary range is $44-$53k, which is much more in line with what I think they are going to offer. Damn... maybe I'm still going to be a peon.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
jacksonpt said:
Ah, but if I drop it down to Data Architect I, then the salary range is $44-$53k, which is much more in line with what I think they are going to offer. Damn... maybe I'm still going to be a peon.
Could be worse - I'm at 45k and there is nowhere else for me to go with this company.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
s1ngletrack said:
Could be worse - I'm at 45k and there is nowhere else for me to go with this company.
I'm at $43 now, and my job has been regressing over the last year or so. There's no where for me to go in this department.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Salary.com spits back a very low salary compared to what I earn. First I picked Payroll Manager, then I picked Business Systems Analyst (under IT). My job is kind of a cross between the two. I currently make the MAX based on their data.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I Are Baboon said:
Salary.com spits back a very low salary compared to what I earn. First I picked Payroll Manager, then I picked Business Development Analyst (under IT). My job is kind of a cross between the two.
Based on most other people's findings, that sounds like a job to hold onto for a bit.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
BikeGeek said:
A little high for me. Then again, everyone knows my company pays a bit low because of the amazing benefit package.
Yeah - my benefit package includes, in addition to all the normal stuff, the fact that I AM the IT department for the bank (ie: as long as everything works, nobody knows, or wants to know, what I do) & this allows me a great deal of freedom when sneaking out for a 2 hour ride at lunch on one of the half dozen or so good trails that are within 5 minutes of the bank. :thumb: Sure I could make more in town, but I can't imagine a comparable benefits package.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
If I worked in L.A: $68,741.00USD
If I were in Little Rock: $56,536.00USD
Both are Median wage estimates.
In reality: $77,000.00CDN with OT and Isolation allowance. Our base salary is $57K/year.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i just did it and seemed pretty good. the job desc. wasn't exactly right, but then i did the detailed summary and it was pretty spot-on, actually.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
lockemiester said:
If I worked in L.A: $68,741.00USD
If I were in Little Rock: $56,536.00USD
Both are Median wage estimates.
In reality: $77,000.00CDN with OT and Isolation allowance. Our base salary is $57K/year.
77k CDN - isn't that like $12.47 USD? :)