Quantcast

Need a new helmet, do ANY less than $100 fit?

Feb 8, 2002
Raleigh
Just getting back into riding after a few years off. Old helmet is trash, so I need a new lid. I've been to several stores an tried on everything I could find. So far, if it costs less than $80, it hurts! Is this a gimmick? Giro is particularly bad. Every Giro I tried on that was priced under $100 fit me like the box it came out of! On a few models, there is a VERY noticeable hump on the inside, upper side of the helmet. And that is what hurts. Who designed this thing?

I've yet to try on a Bell that doesn't hurt, and my old helmet was a Bell and it fit great! So far the only brand I've found that doesn't hurt is Specialized.

Finally located a store with Fox helmets, like their moto gear but their moto helmets don't fit me. Their bicycle helmet, again, did not fit at all.

Do they make the cheaper helmets uncomfortable on purpose? Oliver Stone wants to know!

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Keep looking. There are plenty of $100+ models that a painful for me. Many cheaper ones that fit great.

Some less expensive Bell and Giro models are former high end helmets.

Feb 8, 2002
Raleigh
I ended up trying on several of the exact same model and realized they did not fit the same. I guess they use multiple molds or something. Ended up with a Giro...tried on 4, 2 fit and 2 hurt. Same exact model and size...?

mojo45

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Las Palmas
I just been through several helmets in search for a new one.
I have a reasonable standard head size 59cm and not shaped in a wind tunnel.
Specialized helmets are too narrow, even the large is not wide enough.
Bell is not wide enough unless chosing extra large, which then does only sit almost well enough.
Catlike whisper is wide enough in large but need 2 hands to adjust.
I ended up buying a Mavic Plasma SLR large. First helmet I have ever had that did fit out of the box without even having to adjust it.
After a ride I adjusted it a little and now I would probably forget I was wearing a helmet when coming home after a ride if I was not to take off the sunglasses.
Not all heads are shaped in a wind tunnel.
Just like all feet are not narrow (though most brands of bike shoes are only for narrow feet).

Ride more; work less

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
I just got a Specialized Echelon a few days ago... but I won't ride with it until tomorrow. Large feels a little heavier than I would've expected from a helmet. Pretty comfy however.

Boone78

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
if you splurge the extra $$ the POC Trabec is a great buy at $125.....I tried every helmet known to man and the POC is comfortable, breathable and decent looking with a lower fit.