Quantcast

Need Advice on Purchasing a new Fork

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
So I have had nothing but trouble with my Marzocchi Marathon SL this year and Im ready to invest in a new fork. In a perfect world I would buy the Maverick DUC32 but I dont have that type of cash.

I have an opportunity to get some killer deals on either a ROCK SHOX SID or the REBA but I dont know much about these. I could also get the FOX F100X or RLC for around $500.

I race cross country and am a pretty light rider. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW I prefer a low maintenance fork!!!!!

I know nothing about the REBA, but the SID is certainly a lightweight, light duty XC fork. It's a race fork, not designed for longetivity, as you'll find from reviews all across the 'net. You say you're light, so the limitations of this fork may be moot, and it may be great for you.

The Fox 100x is the terralogic, and if you can get that for $500 and slap it on your XC bike, DO IT NOW. That's a really great fork that can be tuned from very aggressive/locking to very compliant, but that can handle a lot of XC type abuse. It's also ridiculously easy to rebuild if...er when the stanchion seals wear down. Great race fork, but certainly heavier than the flexy flyer SID.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Personally, I'd buy the Fox, and if you're racing, I think the air shock is the only way to go. Anti-bob things seem sort of hokey to me (after my SPV experiences), but if you can deactivate or tune the terralogic thing, it seems like you've got nothing to lose. The standard Fox TALAS air forks are great, too. Wouldn't get the RLC for racing, though, and if you're light, the air fork won't require a new spring, whereas the RLC will.

What kind of problems were you having with your Marathon?

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
I to would recommend the F100x for all the same reasons. I have ridden one on more than one occasion and all I can say is wow. On the topic of rockshox the reba sounds promising but even as a racer I would steer clear of the sid. You say that low maintenance is good for you and that is another reason to steer away from the sid seeing as rockshox recommends (or at least did) that you completely service the fork every 20 hours of use. From a shop point of view the fox is also super easy work on and I have seen seldom fox forks that need any kind of maintenance.

peace

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
JoJo,

Go check Angry Asian's review about the REBA HERE :thumb:

If I was still racing XC I would be all over that like Oprah Winfrey on KK donuts!! :D I'm trying to get a Pike for my trail bike tho.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Miked, She didn't specify but there is a Float RLC and a Vanilla RLC. My guess would be she is into the Float RLC which would need no springs.

Jo I think we have them all in stock if you want to see them first, though I cant do any deals like you are talking about.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
JOJO:

I've been racing all season with a SID and have no complaints. A great race fork. I also have a FOX FRLT 80mm on my hardtail and I love it. I think it is better for all-purpose XC riding compaired to the SID, which is better suited for racing.