Quantcast

Need help changing Shimano disc hose

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
This should go in the Mech. Q&A, but ?'s are answered quicker here and I'm trying to get this done tonight.

Okay, I've bled Shimanos a bunch of times, but never had to install a hose. I've currently got Dual Control XT discs (2 pots, not the old 4s), and am switching to SRAM so I need to swap the shift/brake levers with the levers I bought.

How do I take out the old hose? I unscrewed the connecting bolt, but can't get the hose out from the olive/connecting insert. Do I just yank it out? I pulled on it, but not super hard b/c I don't want to break anything.

Some schematics for reference:
http://bike.shimano.com/services/tech_info_b.asp?cat=MTB&pg=Deore XT

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Does the olive have a slit in it? with the top nut off use a screwdriver and try to pry it up the line, or get a fine blade and put it in the slit of the olive (thats real perverted:eek: ) twist the screwdriver so it opens up and slide it forward.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Just give it a big yank and a bit of a wiggle and it will come out, pretty sure you cant get to the olive on shimano brakes, well not on mine at least. Also if you pull the lever a little bit it helps the hose pop out, just gets a bit messy thats all, so have a couple of rags about.