Quantcast

Need help overcoming obstacles...

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Physically and Mentally! Ever since I crashed going over that railroad tie obstacle during the drills up at Whiteface Mtn, I am too terrified to go over log crossings or anything that looks even remotely challenging while I'm out riding the trails here at home. I am getting so disgusted with myself. I have never been afraid to TRY before, but I just can't get over this. I stand there staring at the log/rock/whatever and feel like a deer caught in headlights, until I just finally resign to walk around it. I think a big part of the problem is that I almost always ride alone, and I'm afraid of hurting myself seriously while alone, but it seems almost impossible for me to meet other mountain bikers around my area that I can keep up with. I just don't know what to do. I won't give up riding, but it'd be so awesome if I could just get over this mental block I have. Any suggestions??

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I second the shin and elbow pads. Sixsixone also makes some good padded shorts that protect your hips and the side of the leg where knee pads don't reach. Pads are awesome confidence boosters.

I think it's easy to get hung up on and focus only on the things we can't do. I hop over a log, but then beat myself up when I can't do a gnarly downhill. But once I can do the downhill, there will always be something larger and scarier. It's also frustrating when you're riding with people who are more advanced.

Start small, work your way up to the big logs and give yourself credit for all the skills you do have and aren't afraid to use out there. I lived in Ithaca and have mountain biked there and the trails certainly aren't easy! Once you can ride Shindagin, you can get by just about anywhere.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Can you have your husband set up some logs in the yard?

Also, shin pads and elbow pads are great confidence builders.

You can do logs - I've SEEEEEN YOU!
:stupid:

Start small!!! You CAN do these things...you were doing great at Whiteface!!! Set up something small and practice on it (i.e. a log that is cut in half so that it sits flat on the ground so it doesn't move on you). Then, move to something a little bigger, but only when you have the confidence.

I used to ride with arm & leg guards too so that might also help. You may end up with a "superwoman" complex though...I used to ;) You still bruise when you crash, but it doesn't hurt nearly as bad.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Yeah, that's what's so frustrating. I've done it in the past and I know I *can* do it. It's more a mental block than anything else.

I think I will do the logs in the yard; it'll give Tom something to work on if he sets it up for me. I'll have to look into the body armor, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Body armor is a definite if you are doing obstacles! If I'm doing just a XC ride, I won't wear it, but if I know I'll be doing a lot of logs, I will. Be careful it doesn't give you the super women complex though. It did to me at Whistler where I was wearing full body armor and a full face helmet, I thought I was on fire and untouchable, then I fell off a stupid literally 6" ladder going way too fast and smacked my head and elbow onto a rock slap. There went my fearless attitude.

I second the start small suggestion. Since you had a bad fall, you need to go back to do something, a small log, etc, that you know you can do and work back up from there. I know it sucks, but you need to retrain your brain to remember that you can do there things. Don't worry, it's happened to us all at some point.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mudgirl,
I would be glad to help if you are ever in the area again.
Looking at something for a while can make you over think it.
As for me I cannot do a technical move from a fresh start. However, if I am riding for a while and in my zone I can get over harder stuff much easier. Also, I think pads give you extra confidence.

Maybe if you can find a trail you are familiar with and place a log near the end of the ride?

Stick with it and it will get easier.

Can you recruit a friend that doesn't ride to join you. That way you'll be the expert, and help get another person into the sport? It will also help remind you of the skills you have. Maybe that would help with the confidence thing? Because I know you have the skills to make it over that log.

Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
You're not alone. We've all been there. Last night (while riding with TreeSaw) I walked around an obstacle that I crashed on a year ago and haven't tried since. I'll do it someday.

Don't beat yourself up for losing your nerve. It's normal. It will come back. I think it takes longer to come back if you beat yourself up for losing it. Concentrate on just having fun. If you need to stay away from the really tough trails for a while and concentrate on increasing fitness, do that. You'll be back stronger than ever before you know it.

Body armor is a good idea. I usually wear soft volleyball kneepads on anything technical. I usually don't need them but was really glad I had them last week when I fell on a rock. I have a nasty bruise now, but it barely hurt when I fell--I can't imagine the damage I would have done without them. My friend wears padded downhill ski race pants. They protect pretty much everything to below the knee. Check out gear for other sports for x-c riding if you want something more comfy than full downhill gear.

Good luck.....you'll get your mo back!!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Remember, getting the front wheel over an obstacle is all about pushing down with your legs, not about pulling up with your arms.

Also, I learned how to clear stuff and take drops practicing on a sidewalk. If you can float the front wheel till your back wheel crosses the crack you'll be able to get over just about anything.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Normally I road-bike Tues & Thurs nights, but my riding partner is out of town this week, so I went mountain biking last night. When I got there, a guy was already there setting up his bike, and he asked if I would mind if he tagged along because it's only the third time he's been to that trail system. I told him we could get lost together since it's only about my 6th time there. It gave me tons more confidence to ride with someone else, and I was going over a bunch of short drops, steep slopes, and small logs with no trouble at all--the same ones I was totally balking at on Sunday. So I am definitely feeling more optimistic now!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Normally I road-bike Tues & Thurs nights, but my riding partner is out of town this week, so I went mountain biking last night. When I got there, a guy was already there setting up his bike, and he asked if I would mind if he tagged along because it's only the third time he's been to that trail system. I told him we could get lost together since it's only about my 6th time there. It gave me tons more confidence to ride with someone else, and I was going over a bunch of short drops, steep slopes, and small logs with no trouble at all--the same ones I was totally balking at on Sunday. So I am definitely feeling more optimistic now!!
:thumb: Sweet!!! I KNEW you could do it!!! :happydance:

ferrit66

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Long Beach
Try keeping your head up when you ride and look as far ahead as possible. When you drop your chin you loose your sense of balance since your balance comes from you inner ear. Most of the time when you get into trouble you will find that you are staring at your front tire and then grab the brakes. Lifting your head will set you back on track. Try to relax as much as you can and stay loose on your bike. Don't beat yourself up too much, you are learning and it should be fun, so remember to smile when you ride. And look at crashes as a lesson not a deterrent. You fell and your ok rite? so what's the worst thing that could happen? when you ride and pop over those logs your probably only going 4-5 mph, so don't be afraid ,just go out and do those logs with confidence and you will be having fun again.

Have fun and hope this helps. Maxine