Quantcast

Need help

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's an old Azonic/Astro catalogue frame from early 2000s ('02 at a guess)

[EDIT] it's an Azonic Gravity. Which puts it at 2006 Same prices apply though [ / ]

£400-500 for the full bike if sold here (UK)
You'd get that without the frame if you split and sold all the parts separately but that's a hassle.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok. Maybe not an Azonic then but it's still an Astro frame from that era. They made many many frames using similar/same parts between them. You can see it shares the same linkage and stays as the Azonic.
Back in the late 90s/early 00s Muddyfox in the UK used to use Astro for their DH bike frames. Where I lived Muddy fox had a big presence in UK DH with a UK team, Euro team and a privateer program. Dan Atherton (Just a kid at the time) rode for them (Gee rode for a local shop and for Remec) and Dan would often turn up riding some completely messed up prototype design only to break/bend it a few weeks later and it be replaced with something else until they finally found something that worked.
Later Gee joined Dan on the team and they both rode Muddyfox Team Descent frames,
Dan @ ft Bill WC '03 on one

Those frames only came in the one size and shops were selling them at a £1000-1200 for a frameset with Fox RC. Astro also sold them to a few other companies and I noticed I could buy them trade for £250. (I did and bought a fox shock for mine). The Azonic DH frames at the time used the exact same rear ends with a different front triangle. When Rach started racing Muddyfox built her a bike from a proto that was slightly smaller. Only Astro had fucked it up and the front triangle was so small it bottomed out on itself.
At the time Jason Carpenter (Manon's Dad and BETD/Goldtec owner & Welsh DH series organiser) also rode an Astro frame with the same rear and yet another front triangle.
Point being. even with the different front triangle the OPs is definitely an Astro frame.
I always wanted Gee to win his first WC on one of those ropey things but when the Athertons started doing well at WC level Muddyfox and Animal got them M1s and stickered them up with Muddyfox logos.

Apologies. 'bit of a longwinded reply but seeing this old frame must've hit the old nostalgia button.