Quantcast

Need Local knowledge or starting a mtn bike team.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
I am interested in starting a mtn bike team in the Asheville area. Just looking for some local info on the best way to go about it. There will be a couple DH racers and a few younger juniors racers that will do xc, smaller DH courses, and even some BMX. The main reason for this team if I can get it going will be to get the kids involved at a young age.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
No, but the main reason for the team will be to get younger riders involved in the sport. The older riders would serve more as a trainer/motivater for the kids. If kids can ride on a team I think it's a big motivater for them. When Fred from Pro Bikes started sponsoring my brother(Cody Blevins) and one of his friends(Derek Phillips) at age 13 their riding and intrest in the sport went to the next level. By the age of 15 they was actually fast enough to usually place around top 5 in semi pro/ expert mens times. My brothers main thing was to try and beat bizutch time.

I'll probably have a very small team next year, but I'm figuring it will be 2011 before I can get a good size team together. Before I start trying get a good number of junior racers on board I want to have as many of the kinks worked out as possible. I have no idea how many times I've heard of people trying to get a junior development team together and getting kids hopes up and then not following through with it.

OB1

Monkey
I started up Cyclepath last year. And I ran a couple bmx teams when I was younger. It just takes a little persistance. Jerseys will be your biggest expense up front. Either find local support that will help you pay for it...like sponsorship from a local screen printer....or a company willing to front the cash for it(unlikely). Get kids involved with PARENTS that WILL be involved. Both financially, and physically. After a year of results, pictures, and success, you will have a product that you can sell. Next September you can grab some co-sponsors for 2011. Don't forget this means new jerseys again. And you're off and running.......

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
I would definitely be interested I am 16 and haven't been to many races but really like to ride. What all would be necessary to be in?