Quantcast

Need some advice

zibbler

Monkey
:confused: Okay, as some of you may know, I just got into MTBing about a month and a half ago. I have been very sedentary for about a year and half due to a back injury. During this time I put on about 20 lbs and have really gotten out of shape.

Every time I go out on the trail, I have to stop about every 2 minutes or so to catch my breath. I mean I'm sucking air like a fish outa water. It really sucks as I know I'm slowing everyone down. In addition to this, the heat is f***ing killing me. I'm at the point that this is not fun for me cuz it's physically brutal.

Yesterday my husband, son and I took some MTB lessons. For the first 3 1/3 hours we did various practice drills out in the open sun. It was about 87 degrees with about 75% humidity. I had to stop and catch my breath every couple of minutes and sucked down about a gallon of fluids during this time, as well as hosing myself off every 30 minutes to cool down. After this we went on a trail ride. I was totaly spent. I was holding everyone up and even crashed on a small incline cuz I didn't have the energy to get up it.

What can I do to get into better shape so I'm not killing myself on trails? Is there a routine anyone would recommend to build up my endurance, increase my aerobic capacity and lose the excess blubber so I can actually begin to enjoy this? I love MTBing but it's just brutal right now. :(

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
First of all, 75% of weight loss is going to be a result of changing your diet. Watch your calorie intake. Otherwise, you can exercise until you're blue in the face without losing a pound.

As far as losing your breath goes, if you have been sedentary for a year and a half, it's going to take a while to get your lungs and legs back. Just keep riding, and with each ride you will improve. To increase your lung capacity, try some aerobic exercise like spinning, jogging, stairmaster, etc.

I've only been riding a couple of years myself, and it's amazing how far I have come. Just stick with it, and you will get better. There is no better way to become a better biker than to keep riding.

Good luck. :)

Just like the man said..... TIME - and hard work!

Excercise is 25% "diet" and 75% excercise. Too loose fat you have to eat right. To have enough energy to excercise you have to eat right. It's a delicate balance - and it will be trial and error to find what works for you.

As far as lung capacity - practice practice practice.

Having said that... I always hold up the group cuz I refuse to eat right and get in shape :)

(j/k, but I do hold up the group cuz I'm DEAD LAST!)

zibbler

Monkey
The diet part is the easy part for me as I've studied nutrition and know what works for my body for the most part. The hard part for me is the excersize part. ie, what the best training regimen to increase endurance/lung capacity etc... Obviously I just need to ride my bike often, but what type of riding? Should I be doing sprints? Long distance riding? Just plain ole hittin' the trails regularly?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by zibbler
Obviously I just need to ride my bike often, but what type of riding? Should I be doing sprints? Long distance riding? Just plain ole hittin' the trails regularly?
Mix it up, Zibbler. :) It keeps your body guessing and keeps your training interesting.

I don't really consider hitting the trails "training" (too fun to be training!), but it is the best way to get better at riding. In the winter months, I attend spinning classes. I also run on a treadmill, although admittedly have not done that in a couple of months.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Mix it up, Zibbler. :) It keeps your body guessing and keeps your training interesting.

I don't really consider hitting the trails "training" (too fun to be training!), but it is the best way to get better at riding. In the winter months, I attend spinning classes. I also run on a treadmill, although admittedly have not done that in a couple of months.
Hmmm.... sounds like a good idea. The only day I get to hit the trails is Sunday, so maybe I could do something like Monday & Wed. do sprints, Tue & Thurs. do long distance/endurance, Friday practice technique, Sat. just some light stuff like walking or something and Sunday hit the trails. Whadya think? Does that sound reasonable?

Hmmm.... sounds like a good idea. The only day I get to hit the trails is Sunday, so maybe I could do something like Monday & Wed. do sprints, Tue & Thurs. do long distance/endurance, Friday practice technique, Sat. just some light stuff like walking or something and Sunday hit the trails. Whadya think? Does that sound reasonable?
you need a rest day.

1 day where you don't excercise at all.

edit: what aragorn said about HRM - good idea.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
when i first got my bike i couldnt make it to work on the streets without being out of breath and i was going a mile probably. i started running. i started on a treadmill because its sooo much easier than being outside. i started doing all this less than a year ago and i can finish trails now and i can ride all over town like there is no tomorrow. just go slow and everytime you get up and ride or run or whatever go a little bit farther than before.

dont give up. i promise it gets easier.

DevilMan

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
The Netherlands
I too started out biking a couple of months ago (3 to be exact), i hadn't ride on a bike or did any other type of excercise for like 15 years.

Obviously i was sucking in air like a madman, my speed (on the road) dropped when i had to climb to smallest incline, or had a bit of wind head on.

But in those 3 months i not only managed to loose more than 25kg, but also got into a fairly good shape.

I can now go on 3 or 4 hour biking trips (on the road) without a problem, i'm usually not even tired when i get back.

All i can say is hang in there, just take it easy, don't over-excercise yourself.

You will get into shape, don't worry if it takes a bit longer then you'd like..

Most importantly, have fun! I excercise almost daily now, if i didn't have fun doing it i definatly wouldn't have stopped in the first week or so

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
i have worked for the goverment for 19 years and sitting on my butt has taken its toll.i got myself a trek mtb for my birthday in march and just started riding everday.at first i couldnt do 5 miles with out a gallon of water and a bottle of advil but i just hit 1200 miles on my computer and have done 2 cent.i feel real good these days and im having a lot of fun............and by next month i will have a new kayak to work the upper body.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Ride, Spin..... Ride, Spin.... Ride, Spin.........Works for me;) Seriously though if the heat is getting to you try taking a few spin classes.... at least the room will have A/C and it will allow you to build your legs and lungs so you do not feel like you are going to die everytime you ride... Of course there will always be THOSE days when you feel like it is your first time on a bike. I felt that way today, extreme heat, bright sun and very dusty and dry conditions...... Jojo was :( :( :( suffering

R

RideMonkey

The diet part is the easy part for me as I've studied nutrition and know what works for my body for the most part. The hard part for me is the excersize part. ie, what the best training regimen to increase endurance/lung capacity etc... Obviously I just need to ride my bike often, but what type of riding? Should I be doing sprints? Long distance riding? Just plain ole hittin' the trails regularly?
I wouldnt do sprints at the stage your at. Its just going to add to the pain you are suffering and make it even that much less fun.

My advice: get out at least 4 times a week and try to make every ride an hour or more in duration. In a few months when you have some base and feel better on the bike, then think about ramping up intensity or distance.

Edit: Make that an hour for outdoor rides. If you are going to do spin classes 45 minutes is plenty do to the elevated intensity of the workout.

zuma

Chimp
Jun 7, 2002
up the monkey's butt
i started riding in May. of this year. i hadn't riden a bike in a very long time. when i started out i avoided any steep inclines for about the 1st month. and then i changed my diet slightly,by slightly i only eat red meat about once a week. the rest of the time i eat chicken and tuna. Then i started taking supplements like whey protein and cytomax, and a multi vitamin. now i ride to work and back, monday - friday, about 30 miles round trip, and there are some monsterous hills to climb. the hills slow me down a little but i don't have to stop half way up either. i've also been drinking alot of water. about a gallon a day. the water really seems to helps.

the secert is excerise and diet there isn't a better way

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I agree with RM. sprints do not seem like a great idea for you. try some longer slower rides to help you build up endurance and get your body used to burning fat. like someone else said maybe a heart rate monitor will help. longer rides at 65% to 75% max HR will help you more than sprints at this time.

mix it up. as you get stronger ride more trails, climbs, and sprints. with experience comes knowing when to push and when not to push your limits. good luck and stay with it