Quantcast

Need some major help...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Alright, so the task of buying a retirement gift for my company's president has been thrown in my lap. He lives in Germany and rides greenway for transportation here and there - must be nice 'cause I don't have that luxury. He has an old German three speed touring bike now with the light generator and everything. A guy I work with has seen this bike and says that he definitely needs to replace it with something more "modern". My budget has been set at $2500 max. What I've been looking at for him is the Gunnar Sport with Ultegra 10 grouppo. He is 6'4" and relatively athletic so I'm ordering a double instead of the triple. I'm also going to order fenders for it and a Brooks saddle. The Gunnar has braze-ons for racks and such as well as a sweet lugged steel fork. It's going to be tough to build it for that but my LBS seems like they are going to work with me a little on price. What do you guys think? Any substitutions?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think it's a great idea! Gunnar Sport is a sweet ride.

Can you find out if his old bike fits him really well? If so, can you get someone to measure his current ride (not just saddle height :P ) to help you decide if the Gunnar is close enough?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
He just noodles around on this thing and you're getting him a full-on sport/tourer? With a double no less? What kind of riding do you expect him to do? I think a better idea would be a modern city/commuter bike. Check out what Joe Breeze is up to.

http://www.breezerbikes.com/

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
"He just noodles around on this thing and you're getting him a full-on sport/tourer? With a double no less? What kind of riding do you expect him to do? I think a better idea would be a modern city/commuter bike."

Well, he actually is a pretty intense dude. My coworker has known him for over 15 years. My coworker competes nationally in triathalons so needless to say he's in good shape and can judge whether or not someone could handle a double or not. That's the info I'm going by. Basically, I'm just trying to optimize all the frame and components suited to his needs within budget limitations. We did think about a city bike/commuter though and figure that's not exactly ideal since this guy would probably want to hammer a little bit. Those friggin' Germans don't age like us Americans...prolly 'cause they only work 30 hours a week...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
LordOpie said:
I think it's a great idea! Gunnar Sport is a sweet ride.

Can you find out if his old bike fits him really well? If so, can you get someone to measure his current ride (not just saddle height :P ) to help you decide if the Gunnar is close enough?
It is hard to get specific measurements because we want it to be a surprise. I really think we can get close enough with what we have now. I'm sure there will be a little tweaking to do though after he's received it.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
After reading my first post, it does sound like this guy doesn't ride that much or rides hard because he has an old beater. I should have said that he's frugle and prolly wouldn't ever come off the hip to upgrade to something a little more modern even though money is not a problem. That's why we think this would make a great retirement gift to him.