Quantcast

Need some specs for Marz 888 springs

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm looking for a new set of springs for an outdated fork (Mr Dirt Quad Bypass FAT Fork). Travel is 8" and I'm thinking the dimensions might be close to that of the 888. So, if any monkeys have...say a fresh med spring (Ti and/or steel) out of a fork, may I trouble you for:
1. An O.A. length
2. ID
3. OD
Also, the purpose of this exercise is to quiet down the spring clacking in the FAT fork (steel on steel is really loud). If anyone has contacts for PVC heat shrink tubing in the 1.75 to 2" range w/ a 2:1 shrink ratio, I'd much appreciate a hookup.

Thanx in advance.

Pau11y

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
this is for a meduim 07 888 spring, the 04/05 springs are shorter

length: 12 and 3/4 inches
outer diameter: 1 and 1/8 inches
inner diamter: a little under 7/8 inches

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
I went down this path a while back, a boxxer spring is a reasonable fit width etc wise but is too long to go into the damper leg etc, I was going to get a second damper rod made up shorter and run the spring in one leg damper in other. The other option was having a local spring manufacturer make up a new spring, was only ~60 NZ (40ish US) and they would make to what dimensions I wanted.

I ended up being lazy and got some boxxers instead :D

so I have 2 sets of mr dirts in bits lying around now

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Do you think you could make something like this fit?

It's the now discontinued Mojo 999R kit for the 888 fork. Spring in one side, sealed damper in the other side. It's been sitting in a drawer in my garage for a year now.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
James, thanx for the nunbers. Unfortunately, it's a bit short. The Mr. Dirt is 15+ in.
Wobbler, what weight did you use and how much do you weigh? Did you get a shorter rod made? I have a spare one for the 6" travel reduction... but was thinking I can just "pre-load" that leg and use the longer Boxxer length...? If you do a search..., I've severely modified my fork to have one leg doing the rebound duties w/ the IFP, while the other has the spring & upside-down damper installed for compression control. BTW, thanx for the info about using Rock Shox springs.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Davet, can you get a length, OD, & ID of the spring only? The Mr Dirt won't be able to use any other parts. It's internals are 100% moto-based - shim stacks. I can literally go to a moto suspension tune shop and buy shims for it. It's just a smaller moto version of an emulsion fork...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Mr. K! How's married life? Still able to go play at the resorts? :)
The Tomac has changed! I've got a Huss crankset on there now w/ a 146mm ISIS BB and the Monster T2. But I'm putting the Dirt back on her and moving the Monster to my Karpiel Army that's coming back from Poland. They made a new batch to the old 2004 model year style for warranty issues. Mine will be brand spankin'! I'd like to sell it and get the '08 ones...they're soooo pretty! So, if you know of any CO Frontrange crazies that want a brand spankin', original 9-11" (I've got a Super Monster to go with it as well)...send 'em my way :D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Not to start an arguement because I'm not 100% on this, I thought there was a difference between the emulsion (oil free to mix w/ air - most forks out there), and the nitrogen charged type (nitrogen chamber separated from the oil chamber, used to account for the change in volume from the damper rods cycling thru the travel - the older White Bros DH fork w/ the ext nitro chamber).
The IFP leg of the Dirt, altho it is exposed to air and is free to mix, it really doesn't because of the IFP. Oil level stays const as the air on top prevents compression while the IFP accounts for the change in volume. In fact there is a neoprene donut that sits on top of the oil, separating out the oil from air and thus no bubbles thru the piston/valves/shims.

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Hi Pau11y, my plan was just to get some rod machined up with the same thread as the top cap (1/2 inch unf iirc) get it made up about 50mmish shorter than the mr dirt one, and slap a bolt on the end for a bit of fine tuning, a couple of meaty washers or similar for the spring platform. Also a manitou travis spring was fine widthwise and again was just the length that was the issue, easily solved using a dummy leg, but you may have issues with the setup you have running.

I was mainly going for an existing spring as I'm a big bastard and broke the stock spring that came with mine and it was waaay to soft. I'm circa 210 pounds so you could potentially get a medium weight spring made up pretty easily, with the stock mr dirt length etc it was a strugle to get a spring made up stiff enough that wouldnt coil bind or be veery close to it. I had some dimensions figured out based on the efunda spring calc found about here http://www.efunda.com/DesignStandards/springs/spring_calculators.cfm

I cant seem to find them now however, between nuking my computer and moving a couple of times they have gone walkabout.