Quantcast

Neighborhood Bike Safety Course - Any Suggestions?

Old_Dude

Monkey
I notice there are frequently children & adults in the neighborhood doing some pretty dangerous things on bikes - the usual, no helmets, not looking where they're going, riding unsafe bikes, blah, blah, blah.

I am going to post a message in our neighborhood monthly newsletter announcing a "bicycle safety" course - I'll present it at the clubhouse and invite parents & children to attend. If there's any possible way to increase safety & awareness I'd like to do so - perhaps this will prevent an accident - who knows?

What do you recommend I mention in this presentation? I thought of asking one of the local Atlanta bike clubs to help me out, but I'm not a member - yet. I also am a bit reluctant to ask someone from the LBS because I don't want this to turn into a "sales event".

Thanks for your suggestions,

OD

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
This may have only occured back "in the day" but didn't local police dept. come around and put on presentaions? I'd check with them, great idea by the way.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
I think State Farm has a bicycle safety program. I'd check with your local agent. They may have brochures already made. I remember a commercial about this about 6-9 months ago. I haven't seen it since, but I hardly watch TV anymore.

Good Luck & be sure to make it fun, or else it won't sink it. Also, you may want to do it more than once, I wouldn't expect too much participation the first time around. Let other parents know about it to drum up some participation.

I would also recommend going to your LBS. I imagine they would be more than happy to help out w/o the sales pitch! They could even post a flyer to help out with attendance!

L8R & Good Luck!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I remember reading here that some magazine has ranked the US cities for riding...and Atlanta was ranked one of the worst. Most dangerous, etc.

Maybe a monkey can confirm this.

If what I recall is true, you could start by saying to the peoples they ride one of the most dangerous city.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ypu may consider asking your local police department for info or help. Here in the county I live in they do that. They call them Bike rodeo's.

Kids love it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
CHICAGO RELEASES BIKE SAFETY BOOKLET

-> According to a Jan. 9th news release, "This month the City of
Chicago released a revised version of its award-winning safety
publication, 'Safe Bicycling in Chicago.' While the Chicago Dept. of
Transportation (CDOT) has reprinted the 36-page booklet several times
since its original publication in 1994, the most recent version
represents a complete revision.

"Over the years, people have come to know the yellow-and-blue booklet
as everything from 'the bicycle owners' manual' to 'the short course in
urban biking.' 'People seem to like 'Safe Bicycling in Chicago' more
than any other publication of its kind in the U.S.,' said Dave Glowacz,
director of education for the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation, which
produced the booklet for CDOT. 'It works well because it presents so
much you should know about biking--but in a really fun, visual way.'

For more information, contact Brian Steele, (312) 477-0707, or Maria
Castaneda (312) 744-4211

jimbolia

Chimp
Jan 17, 2002
colorado
with all seriousness aside there are a lot of places you can go like your local police , or the local bike shop, or you can contact I.M.B.A . i know they used to have something on mountain biking. they're only mountain biking though . Just a few suggestions I would also try NORBA.