Quantcast

Networking 2 Playstations, and is it worth it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just learned that my next door neighbor has a Playstation 2, and I am thinking about playing some 3 person games (with a second monitor).

I couldn't find anything which directly talked about this, so has anyone done it? And are there good games for 3 people?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Multi-player games are much more exciting than single player games, especially when you are either in the same room or using a headset.

Many games will allow you to play against other people over ethernet, either over a LAN or a broadband connection. I think that Sony has some type of connector to let you network two PS2s with a proprietary cable, but I'm not sure of it's advantages, ethernet networks are so common in most North American homes. I don't know of any games that will allow 3 players on only 2 systems, you usually can't play split screen on networked games.

NFS Underground 2 is a good racing game for multiple players over a network, get a headset unless you want to be booted from the races though. Socom is a fun first person shooter with a huge online gamming community.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I think that Sony has some type of connector to let you network two PS2s with a proprietary cable
I'm not sure this feature made it to newer generation PS2s. I know the early SCH-3000 series consoles had something called the S400 iLink interface which allowed you to directly link 2 consoles to play some games head-to-head, but it disappeared from the 5000 series and new slim 7000 series. Could it be possible to do it with the USB ports? You can definitely set them up on a network. I googled some stuff on it years ago.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm not even sure if the iLink is still around, I can't see why anybody would use it anymore, Ethernet is so common now, everybody has a broadband router. The new slim series have a built in network interface and for the old school system the network adapter has become more affordable, I don't see any reason to try and use the iLink cable unless you already have it, I'm not even sure any of the newer games will support it.