Quantcast

New Apple releases

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Does charging to upgrade the os on ipod touch seem a bit whack to anyone else? I know its apple but still.

That being said im waiting to have a look at a new MBP this Dec/Jan with intels new mobile line up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and yet what they tout as one of the most popular phone's on the market still lacks a basic feature available on just about every other phone on the market .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
aka MMS. Especially for a device that is marketed in a media centric fashion (pictures, video, audio). Oh, and not to mention its been on the market over 2 years. Even in 2007 MMS was more or less a standard feature in a phone, especially higher end phones.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
and yet what they tout as one of the most popular phone's on the market still lacks a basic feature available on just about every other phone on the market .
That has exactly nothing to do with Apple, so I don't know why it's relevant to a "new releases from Apple" thread.

The iPhone is capable of MMS. AT&T is holding the feature back.

I'm not a big Apple fan, but let's put blame where it belongs...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That has exactly nothing to do with Apple, so I don't know why it's relevant to a "new releases from Apple" thread.

I'm not a big Apple fan, but let's put blame where it belongs...
people have a hard time understanding, but i guess its cool to slam the Iphone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think the rumored manufacturing issue is what led to the exclusion of the iPod Touch with camera. Seems kinda odd only the mid-range nano has a camera...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I think there will be more to come. Word on the street things came together rather quick.

Thanks BV for the reality check. You are totally correct there. I have seen dev versions of the iphone OS that were sending MMS's over a year ago (on t-mobile).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

As long as its a carrier exclusive device, IMHO it doesn't matter who is responsible for restricting this capability, because it's the consumer/user who suffers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As long as its a carrier exclusive device, IMHO it doesn't matter who is responsible for restricting this capability, because it's the consumer/user who suffers.
Of course it matters. Apple has provided the functionality. AT&T has said they don't support it in their network.

What, exactly, would you like Apple to do? Cancel their multi-year contract that was signed prior to the MMS support being promised and implemented, because AT&T decided their network can't handle it?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think there will be more to come. Word on the street things came together rather quick.
i doubt youll see any other ipod/iphone announcement this year. they usually only have two major press conferences a year. one for the Iphone and the other for ipods and other new Mac products.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Of course it matters. Apple has provided the functionality. AT&T has said they don't support it in their network.

What, exactly, would you like Apple to do? Cancel their multi-year contract that was signed prior to the MMS support being promised and implemented, because AT&T decided their network can't handle it?
Look at it this way, owning a cell phone without service basically defeats the purpose of owning one. Same with paying for cell service and not owning a cell phone with which to use it. Essentially one is worthless without the other (at least for its primary intended functions as a communication device).

In this case, in order to get an iPhone, you only have one choice as to who will provide the service - AT&T*. In order for the exclusivity to happen, both sides had to agree on the terms and conditions as to how the device would be sold on the market and with what service. One of these terms happens to have been the disabling of MMS. Apple may not have liked this, but they agreed to it. They could have shopped it around to other carriers where they could've gotten the level of service (and network capacity) they wanted for the device AND to have MMS (if rumors are to be believed AT&T wasn't Apple's first choice as a carrier), but Apple agreed to the contract they have with AT&T, and they agreed to disable MMS. AT&T isn't some evil tyrant in a land where Apple is one of their serfs. The AT&T execs don't have Steve Jobs dressed up like the Gimp and locked in a trunk in the basement. Apple isn't some kind of indentured servant forced to do AT&T's bidding and disable MMS on their phone. They could have walked away from AT&T, but they chose not to.

It's not like the device launched with MMS capability and then AT&T said "WHOOPS! we can't handle the extra traffic, we gotta disable MMS." It was disabled from the get go (but AT&T still had bandwidth issues from the sudden in-flux of new subscribers).

Also, MMS is supported on other AT&T devices, so its kind of a bunk deal that their most popular phone doesn't get this service.

*jailbreaking and using the device on T-mobile isn't accounted for here. Not exactly something the average iPhone user can/would do.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok, now that I have some coffee in me, I got in the wayback machine to check out the history:

Original iPhone

Released: June 2007
MMS: not supported at hardware level
Fault: Apple

iPhone 3G

Released: July 2008
MMS: Supported at hardware level, not enabled at firmware/software level
Fault: While the device itself had the hardware in place to support MMS, at release date OS 2.0 did not have the capabilities to support MMS. However, this device can be upgraded to OS 3.x, which will enable MMS once the carrier supports it. But since OS 3.0 wasn't released until June 2009 (alongside the newest version of the device itself), the fault goes to Apple.

iPhone 3Gs

Released:June 2009
MMS: Supported at hardware level, supported at firmware/software level but not enabled - carrier not ready to implement
Fault: AT&T

So yes, right now people are waiting on AT&T. But for the majority of the time the device has been on the market, it was not solely the carrier's fault.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Recent exchange with a friend:

"Dude, I can't see the photos you send me."

"I thought you had a magic iPhone."

"I have an iPhone, but it doesn't support MMS."

"What?"

"Just email the photos to me."

"I don't have email on my phone."

"All right, later."

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Even AT&T says they can't handle the extra traffic from iPhone users.

From the NY Times (referenced in the above article):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/technology/companies/03att.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1252123200&en=7d0e3cac5b9a733a&ei=5087

So who wants to take bets that AT&T's network will experience major issues in 2 weeks?
youd think that if it was a Apple issue, they would have said it was them from the get go
AT&T admits they're late, saying "it was important to give our customers a positive experience from day one" so they needed the extra to "to make sure our network is ready to handle what we expect will be a record volume of MMS traffic."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
youd think that if it was a Apple issue, they would have said it was them from the get go
What I don't get, is that if AT&T is claiming that network capacity issues are the reason for the lack of MMS, then why have other data intensive apps - including streaming radio programs like pandora, which launched for the iPhone in July 2008 - been approved?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well ATT is looking to spend about $18 B this year to upgrade their network.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/36455.php

Looks like verizon is going to go straight to 4G.

USB 3.0 Ipod & MBPs late 2010?
Verizon is already testing LTE (4G) - started last month. Seattle and Boston are the first trial markets later this year. Full deployment is expected early 2010 and full deployment is expected in 2013.

http://gizmodo.com/5324101/verizon-4g-lte-test-market-trials-kick-off-in-boston-and-seattle-this-year

And apparently initial tests show impressive speeds. But we'll see if these are maintainable once it rolls out for consumers.

http://gizmodo.com/5155882/verizon-lte-wireless-clocking-60mbps-in-us-tests-confirmed-to-launch-in-2010

ATT said they are going right to 4g too after they tried everything else.
Why they're bothering to upgrade to anything thats not LTE is beyond me, just seems like a waste of money if they know they're going to wind up there anyways. Especially when a lot of other major carriers worldwide are going to implement it, as well as most major US carriers.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Why they're bothering to upgrade to anything thats not LTE is beyond me, just seems like a waste of money if they know they're going to wind up there anyways. Especially when a lot of other major carriers worldwide are going to implement it, as well as most major US carriers.
because there are faster networks out there that are faster than 4g and more better....or sp ATT thought. they of course have to be different and try something different.....but they came to their senses and realized most everyone in the US is going to be using 4g soon

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
because there are faster networks out there that are faster than 4g and more better....or sp ATT thought. they of course have to be different and try something different.....but they came to their senses and realized most everyone in the US is going to be using 4g soon
All of the next gen networks are going to be 4G, but there's different implementations of it. The biggest debate is LTE vs WiMax, but so far LTE is in the lead.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pshhh 4g in 2013.

I get MMS on my iPhone later this month. Suck it Verizon/Sprint.
FULL IMPLEMENTATION of 4G in 2013 on Verizon. That means nationwide, IE everywhere. Major metropolitan areas are going to start getting it next year. Its already being tested. From what I've heard AT&T doesn't plan to start testing LTE until 2011.

The one thing I'm really hoping for with 4G (whether its LTE of WiMAX) is to finally get video chatting on cell phones in the US.