Quantcast

New baby

MiNgTeA

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Redditch, UK
Well after having to sell my mountain bike due to money troubles i just purchased this.

A DK six pack, and i have to say i'm in love with it, bit shakey getting used to the 20" wheels, and small bike (being 6ft 4) But i'm so happy with it, can't wait to get it up the trails tommorrow morning.

Modifications made.

DMR jump seat, nice and small.
Removed Giro
Removed large six*pack sticker
Shortened bars

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
All right, that's it, I can't take it anymore. I gotta ask. What in the wild hell is with you crazy BMX kids and your insanely tilted seats? I see all of you wackos doing it that way, and i can't understand how you don't get it up the tailpipe!

Oh ya, nice bike! :D

ChrisNJ

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
jersey
sweet bike! ... about the seat though, i used to ride a thin seat, until i realized how limited your trick selection gets...a wider seat lets you squeeze it for bar spins, no handers etc...oh, and i dont know why the seats tilted either, i dont run mine like that, but see lots of kids do it.

Hacim

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Durango, CO
nice bike... one good thing about getting rid of the mt. bike is that you will become a much smoother trails rider... not to say that you aren't a smooth rider or anything

and as far as the seat goes... i'm not sure why people run 'em like that.. i used to just because i thought it looked cool, but that was just about it

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Nice rig.. I was going to say wtf is with the seat, but yah. How do you find the straight cable over the gyro? I've never worked with gyro's before and I'm running a rear brake only. I was considering running the cable straight back cause my braking performance stinks.

i have herd from some of my friends about the seat being tilted that way for dirt jumping . i dont remember really waht it was :confused: i think it had to do with pulling the bike up into ur body when in the air and it forming kinda to ur ass . something like that . i will ask tomarrow . but i can tell u bmxers arent the only ones doing that to their seats i have seen many mtbers doing it to. but they were djing.:confused: :confused: :monkey:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
yeah i tilt my seat like that so i can fit it between my legs better in the air or bunnyhopping without spreading my legs so much or having it smacking me

MiNgTeA

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Redditch, UK
Straight through cable has a much more direct feel to a flexy giro.

Well first night out dirt jumping, and i had a bag of fun, many face plants, but i got it right in the end.

Next: Time to try something bigger ;)

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'm probably gonna get hit for this, but I gotta:

BMXs are definitely small, Ming, but the Miracle Grow ain't gonna help it any! (see picture of bike) :D

Oh god, someone call me a psychiatrist...... :(

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by MiNgTeA
Straight through cable has a much more direct feel to a flexy giro.

most people don't know how to set up a gyro in the correct manner.

including the "pros" at the bike shop.

a well set up gyro can feel pretty damm close to a strait cable with ZERO flex.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
My current gyro setup is way better than the "factory" mess. It's probably on par with a straight cable.

First thing was to replace the stock upper cable with the Dragonfly piece. Dual cables vs. that weird 2 into 1 thing. That helped.

Next was to replace the stock lower cable with an Odyssey London Mod. Same thing... Dual cables.

Finally, I replaced my stock brake pads with Kool Stop Eagle Claws. I don't know what that did for the "feel" of the brakes, but I certainly stop better now.

All in all, it was a good return on a small investment.

::edit:: I didn't notice how short your cable was. You'll probably eventually want a longer one if you don't go to the gyro. Can you even do an X-up with it like that?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't want to start a "mine is better" argument so don't take this the wrong way. the set up you have w/ your gyro is defintly a damm good one.

BUT, I have stock cables, stock pads and 990's and they lock up w/ one finger.
I do have a dragon fly cable waiting to be put on down the road but for now my brakes work and feel damm good.

BUT, i've had a gyro on my bike since they came onto the market so I do have some experience setting them and brakes up.

MiNgTeA

Chimp
Aug 31, 2002
Redditch, UK
Hey, well it works for me.

Also it just looks short in the pic, i can turn the bars 360, which is all i need for now, considering i've been riding BMX and Dirt for oh.... 4 days?

I used to do XC mtb.