Quantcast

New Bike Time! + Elka shock review!-Can you say DOUBLE WAMMY? Pics inside.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Alright, I am going to write a book here.

So I finally finished building up my bike after 4 months. I bought a brand new 2004 specialized demo 9. I had a yeti asx, and I sold, or am selling everything from it except the fox 40. I put all new parts on the demo 9, except the fox 40, including a new rear shock I just bought.

The demo 9 has a longer wheelbase by a few inches, lower stand over height, lower bb, and slacker head angle than the yeti asx. Also, I now have deity dirty 30 bars which are much wider, which makes it harder to whip out and table, and I had a few bar scrapes on trees this sunday, but it provides so much stability. I feel fine with them, and I am only 5'9". So the bike is obviously a different animal than they yeti asx, but I have ridden a demo 9 before for 2 days, and various other bikes upon testing.

Like I said, I like wide bars, they have good and bad things. I have avid codes now, which are a worlds diffence than the hayes 9's. The 9's had ZERO modulation, they had enough power, but no use of it cause they just like to lock up. And code brakes are not too powerful. They are great if you are pinning it up until you hit that small unscrubable double (wow that rhymed). Also, I soon realized with a great rear shock, and a softer front spring, it is easy to get lazy on my demo and run into things I shouldn't, but it isn't really that hard to hop around, or be a little nimble on, it just takes a little effort. (I have seen a friend hop picnic table height on his).

I got a chance to ride it on sunday too, but here are a few pictures of it, I think I posted it on here once before. It was 43 pounds when it had tubes in the tires and a swinger rear shock, but it is now tubless, has an elka rear shock, an elka sticker on the non-drive side and... a kiddie bell. Also, I had snow tires in the pictures. I now have specialized 2.6 pro chunders going tubless somehow on the mavic 823's.

The goods:

I got a chance to ride the shock for about 6 hours on Sunday on a variety of terrain. Banked turns, off camber flat turns, steep rock chutes, jumps, tight rock sections, some baby head rock gardens, and a few gnarly rock gardens, a few switch backs, and a smaller road gap. (6-7 out of 10), 10 being this:

NOT MY PICTURE, JUST AN EXAMPLE

So, it is time for the shock review. Here we go. By the way, I am in no way affiliated with Elka, haha.

Alright, so I have ridden a roco for 2 days straight on a demo 9 at the US open on a friend's bike, whom was kind enough to lend due to an injured arm (and me riding a yeti asx on the open course). I have ridden a vivid for one run, a DHX 5.0 on a demo 9, and it was the only shock to be on my yeti. I have ridden a cane creek double barrel shock for a few runs too on a specialized sx trail. Also, I have taken one run on a manitou revox.

The Elka shock blew them all out of the water... and it is not like a lot of these shocks (excluding the double barrel, it is simply not true for this shock), you can actually tell a difference with each and every click! It is the exact opposite of my fox 40's low and high speed compression.

With the elka you get 16 clicks of rebound, 22 clicks of low speed compression, and 22 clicks of highspeed compression. I adjusted the low speed up about 4 clicks (15 out of 22) because I need a little forgiveness with it being one of my first times the season, but don't get me wrong, I was still pinning (or trying) the whole time. I will be leaving the rebound in the middle, turning the high speed compression down (I didn't bottom once in the middle of the settings! (11 out of 22 clicks), and will be turning the high speed compression up a few clicks.

Pedaling efficiency: Remember, I came from a yeti asx with a DHX 5.0, and teh frame had 7" of travel. Now I am on a demo 9 with 9 inches of suspension and an Elka shock. With my high speed compression only 15 clicks in, it pedals just as well as they yeti, or very close, and that is a demo 9 (aka:tank) vs. a yeti asx with pro pedal almost all the way up. Even with sprinting on the Elka, I did not get much bob or feedback. Same goes for the swinger, and that roco I was on for 2 days, the Elka is just in a different realm.

Jumping, I would say the Elka was about on par with my DHX 5.0. But that was on the yeti, and that bike jumped excellently as it was. Also, I will be turning the low speed compression up more probably too, so it will make it better for jumping. There is a slacker head angle on the demo as well, so that makes a difference between the yeti's natural jumping ability and flickability as to the demo's.

Rock gardens. The Elka has no comparison with a roco, dhx, or vivid. A cane creek double barrel is up there with the Elka, but the Elka still wins I think. Like I said, there were some baby head rock gardens, and it was pretty supple on those even, but when I got to the square edge hits, the demo just ate them up with that rear shock (can't say that for the swinger that was on there, and the roco just didn't perform as well in that area). Also, I got off line and I hit some rocks going about 20-25 that were about 3/4's the size of my wheel, and I went right over them, and didn't bottom. I would have DIED on my yeti.

Cornering. Simple and sweet, it stuck to flat corners, and railed the berms, even with ones that had braking bumps, like I had glue on the tires. It blew my dhx out of the water. Also, it seemed not to bounce around as much as the vivid I took one run on. It even seemed to track better than a CCDB.

The shock did not bottom very easily either. I didn't not feel it bottom once the whole day, and was going about 20 mph when I cased this road gap that is about 10-15 long and you get about 4-6 feet in the air (depending if you scrub or bender huck it).

All in all, I was very impressed. I have ridden various shocks out there, and this seemed to out do them all, yes, even the CCDB. I believe a huge part of this deals with Elka tuning the shock not only to your weight, but your bike, and even your riding style. Another factor that should be entailed is that the Elka uses nitrogen instead of air. The resevoir is also bigger than a standard DHX or Roco too. Which makes it more room to work with and gives it more volume, but the adjustments are hard to reach on my demo 9, but they are able to be turned. There is clearance too with the shock.

A guy named Patrick over at Elka also helped me. He explained all the settings, and helped me get it set up. Also, Elka machined me some hardware for the shock to fit my demo 9 at the rebound eyelet end (opposing the piggyback), and some hardware for the piggy back end too. I called fox before I considered Elka, and they said they could possibly send me an unfinished shock, but Elka was far from the "good luck buddy" attitude. Another note, the manual was significantly helpful, and explained everything to me in my terms.

The only thing I cannot yet atest to positively on is the reliability of the Elka. Afterall, it was only one day so far, and if your suspension is breaking down on you all the time, it is useless. I have a feeling though it will be reliable. When I first was interested in buying the shock, a person at Elka told me the shock was tested for over 3 years (yaya, I know it's probably a company representative but take it for what is worth).

Weekend warrior, daily downhiller, Josh benders prodigy or just a full out pinner, this could be the shock for you. I suggest it.

Well, it is time for some pictures.

The twistys holding on the metal parts are the custom bits made for me.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Looks great!

I'm curious if you know the I.D. of the Elka spring? I have a ti spring and I'm curious if it would fit... (It's too late to call Elka...)

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the review!

I just received my Elka on Friday for my Giant.. Now im even more stoked to get it up and running! I agree on Patrick being very patient and helpful, he knows his stuff! Also the Manual is the best manual ive ever read, super helpful and explains all the adjustments simply yet effectively.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
OK, so I know that frame has many things working to add to stack height, and your seat is low, but your saddle looks to be close to crown race height......

Is the bike big for you? Does the fork need to be that high in the crowns?

Something makes me think of this http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97597&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1237249904
agreed. thanks for the cool write up. but definitely look into setting up your 40 a little lower then it is in the picture.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
dont you want to use your full stroke though?
That is why I am lowering High speed compression next time out. Although I am sure I used full stroke a few times at least, I know it can be close to being bottomed a little more often. It still did it's job well though. I never felt like I wasn't getting enough travel.

agreed. thanks for the cool write up. but definitely look into setting up your 40 a little lower then it is in the picture.
I was thinking the same thing. The top tube scraped my nut sac when standing... :imstupid:

But suprising it handled very well. It never felt "choppered out". And it cornered EXTREMELY well.

Edit: Also, I do have about 20-30% sag. And I am still drooling over a 2010 boxxer. Between buying a truck (small pick up) this summer and going off to college and paying for it, I am not sure yet if funds will allow for a new boxxer.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Edit: Also, I do have about 20-30% sag.
:disgust: So you have the Knowledge base to claim the Elka is as good as a CCDB, and better then everything else but just set the sag somewhere between 20% and 30%........seriously.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
What can I say, I was in a big rush this morning. I have 28% of sag on the rear, and 27% of sag on the front fork (about 55mm). I measured the shock the other day, so I can't give exact millimeters.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
What can I say, I was in a big rush this morning. I have 28% of sag on the rear, and 27% of sag on the front fork (about 55mm). I measured the shock the other day, so I can't give exact millimeters.

Thats cool. Before I came on here making claims in a big write up I would have spent more then a day on it.I'm sure its great, but it would be more meaningfull if you had some real time on it.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Do I see a dork disk jammed between the cassette and the spokes! DORK DISK!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cool writeup, and I can tell that you are obviously pumped which is great.

I'm not saying this to rag solely on your review and the Elka may very well be a great product, but in general there have been a ton of "reviews" that are a bit over the top fanboy/homerism and I take with a grain of salt.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The dork disc... That thing is now almost all ripped off due to a derailleur that broke and got caught, whilst the chain flew off between the cassette and spokes (the dork disc does do something). But don't worry, I have a spare I think.

Anyways, yes, the review is good. I have spent some time on a swinger on the demo 9 riding some dj's without super steep lips, and some "moderate" downhill, and of course, some stair hucking and manualing.

Oh, and yes... I took my demo 9 on a 6 mile cross country ride with the swinger that had some more tech downhill sections. I will never do that again.

Also, like I said, I spent 2 full days on a demo 9 with a roco at diablo freeride park, and have ridden a demo 9 with a fox DHX 5.0 for several runs.

Last edited:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Dunno man, it is all cool but i think this review deserves to be more on the Freeride forum
Not many DH racers are running that kind of settings.

Cheers on the good write up (y)

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
What do you mean not many people are running settings like that?

Low speed compression turned up provides more of a pedaling platform and allows one to be able to pump objects better and jump a little better. It just compromises baby heads, and if you are truking down the trail, and riding the bike like it should be, than you just skip over those anyways.

High speed compression needs to be turned down, I said, just so I know where my limit is for bottoming out.

People who race want full use of their suspension, something that won't bob too much when sprinting, and still gives a full stroke.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What do you mean not many people are running settings like that?

Low speed compression turned up provides more of a pedaling platform and allows one to be able to pump objects better and jump a little better. It just compromises baby heads, and if you are truking down the trail, and riding the bike like it should be, than you just skip over those anyways.

High speed compression needs to be turned down, I said, just so I know where my limit is for bottoming out.

People who race want full use of their suspension, something that won't bob too much when sprinting, and still gives a full stroke.
More low speed compression actually makes the bike jump worse, not better. The reason for this is that when the suspension is compressed, more energy is dissipated by the damper, which means the energy stored and released by the spring is lower. It shouldn't significantly affect bump absorption (unless the design of your damper is pretty wack or you have it turned up to a ridiculous degree, SPV style), in fact LSC is, effectively, mostly a liveliness/stability adjuster with overlap in a few other areas.

I think you'll find that people who are serious about their racing want traction and stability above all else... dampers shouldn't be responsible for your bike's pedalling ability.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
In my own experience I also found that firming up the rear suspension with more LSC definitely made my bike feel livelier and made it pop off lips better. Otherwise it would use more travel when I push down before jumping. Rebound settings come into play more so for getting the livelier feel though.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
More low speed compression actually makes the bike jump worse, not better. The reason for this is that when the suspension is compressed, more energy is dissipated by the damper, which means the energy stored and released by the spring is lower. It shouldn't significantly affect bump absorption (unless the design of your damper is pretty wack or you have it turned up to a ridiculous degree, SPV style), in fact LSC is, effectively, mostly a liveliness/stability adjuster with overlap in a few other areas.

I think you'll find that people who are serious about their racing want traction and stability above all else... dampers shouldn't be responsible for your bike's pedalling ability.
Maybe that's why most jump bikes are hardtails? :brows:

The high-speed compression circuit on the Elka shock is actually an adjustable blow-off valve, that's why the rider can run much more low-speed compression without affecting bump compliance and absorption.

People who are serious about racing usually know that races are not won in very rough technical sections but everywhere else like turns, accelerations, and slow switchbacks where keeping momentum up is the key.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Maybe that's why most jump bikes are hardtails? :brows:

The high-speed compression circuit on the Elka shock is actually an adjustable blow-off valve, that's why the rider can run much more low-speed compression without affecting bump compliance and absorption.

People who are serious about racing usually know that races are not won in very rough technical sections but everywhere else like turns, accelerations, and slow switchbacks where keeping momentum up is the key.
Eh? Comparing hardtails to the setup of suspended bikes is a bit whack. However anything that absorbs more of your energy without returning it (whether that's rebound damping or compression damping) will tend to make the bike more difficult to get off the ground unless you had such severe compression damping that the compression damping force when you hit the lip of the jump was larger than the maximum spring force you could get.

Nearly all high speed compression circuits are some form of adjustable blow-off valves, including SPV valves, shimmed dampers, preloaded poppets, you name it. I don't see how the Elka has any advantage over any other shock based on that, because every other shock uses the same principle.

I agree that races are won and lost pretty well everywhere except the straight, non pedalling bits, but that doesn't exactly disagree with what I said - traction, stability and handling dynamics are the biggest factors that make one suspension setup better than another IMO, because they're what let you get around the corners faster.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Traction, control and a HUGE set of balls wins races! lol That video of Sam Hill's run before he went down on the one turn is insane! The speed he went through the gnarliest rocks and roots is mind blowing! Just riding right on the absolute edge of control.
Love it!!!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I for one take awhile to get my stuff dialed in. Saying that you rode another friends bike with this shock or that shock for a few runs or a day is not being fair unless all your friends weigh the same and have the exact same riding style, bike setup, bike, etc. I'm sure it's nice but the only true comparison you have is the one between the stock Manitou Swinger and now the Elka. The swinger were known to be ****e. It is good to see the new stuff though. Ride the hell out of it for awhile and then post a review. Nice ride BTW.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
People who are serious about racing usually know that races are not won in very rough technical sections
I musn't be very serious about racing then, because everytime I watch Sam Hill knocking some ridiculous margin into someone else over a split timed section, it's because it's rough and incredibly technical.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
I musn't be very serious about racing then, because everytime I watch Sam Hill knocking some ridiculous margin into someone else over a split timed section, it's because it's rough and incredibly technical.
I agree that Sam is incredibly fast in technical sections. But, he's not MAKING time there though, he's just losing less than others and get out of it with a higher exit speed that he'll carry down the course. Therefore, he's not winning the race there, it's just that other are losing it there. Small difference.

He manages to do that by keeping control off the bike and hoping over a lot of stuff. His suspension setup is tuned to keep his momentum up and Sam is able to manhandle the rest. Not the case for riders that are less talented (most riders!).

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The demo 9 he rode with the Roco was mine. It was not set up for him completely but given the circumstances and small time margin, worked decently. He rode it a little stiff for him for 2 days on all sorts of terrain including his US open race run. Technically he cant slam the roco but he did get a "feel for it" and what it will do. Feel free to flame me but i dont think his review is as off as u say it is. It certainly doesnt belong in a magazine but i felt it was written up pretty good and wasnt that bad.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But, he's not MAKING time there though, he's just losing less than others
Same difference. No one "makes" time, they just ride down a hill in the minimum amount of it possible. You can define superiority as losing less time than others, knocking time into others, being super awesome, or whatever - but ultimately it means the same thing.

My point is, races are won and lost over an entire track. Fair enough if you were trying to say that simple sections like straights were a place where time wasn't gained/lost (Socket seemed to think that's what you said, I didn't) purely because any decent rider could/should be going the same pace over sections like that.

But anything with complexity (corners, technical, rough, rocks) opens up oppurtunities to exploit the difficulty and gain time on other riders. So I still don't agree with your point that I quoted.

IMO suspension needs to be setup to accomodate everything (with minimal compromise - which is where better dampers excel), you can't just say "races are won in turns, accelerations, and slow switchbacks therefore that's what we're going to cater for".

If your point was something else, do clarify - but that's how your post/s read to me at least.

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
My point is that making time or losing time is a relative concept. Relative to the other riders, but mostly to the rider itself.

When a rider is going at its personal maximum speed (100%), he can't go faster than himself unless a better setup can help him raise that 100% to a higher speed. His personal 100% can be either slower or faster than the 100% of other riders.

My definition:

To make time = to go significantly faster than the average speed of other riders and accumulate that speed consistently over terrain where others lose speed. You make time against yourself and other riders, therefore it's when you improve your 100% speed.

To lose time = to lose speed and/or momentum at a higher pace than the average pace of other riders. You can only lose time versus other riders, therefore it's when you ride at less than 100%.

When Sam Hill is going faster than anyone else in a technical section, he might not be increasing his average speed and/or he might not go faster upon the exit of that section, so therefore (in my humble opinion) he's not making time because he's riding at his 100%. If he changes his suspension setup to allow him to exit a technical section faster than other and can carry that speed further down the trail, then he's making time there because he's now gaining speed and going faster than he would have went if he exited at the same speed than other riders.

Kinda subtle nuances but it's the kind of theory we get from racing schools in all other types of racing.

I agree with UDI that good suspension must accomodate everything. From my experience, the ultimate suspension setup will do that, but with special focus on improving on certain aspects where the rider needs additional help because he can't compensate with riding abilities.

For example, Sam is good at technical stuff but doesn't pedal as well. His ideal setup will accomodate everything but will be aimed more at maintaining his speed and momentum in smooth sections and might compromise comfort and plushness in technical sections because he doesn't need as much "help" there from the suspension.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Still riding it and couldn't love it more. It was $520 for me with custom hardware for mounting the shock to my wierd du bushing size on my demo 9.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
What size shock does the demo 9 take? There is one for sale for cheap, and I am halfway thinking about picking it up and putting a shorter eye to eye shock on it to slack it out a bit.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
OK.... that's like your opinion, man. I would want to dump it a bit.

Head Angle 66.0/67.5°
BB Height 26" wheel 371/390mm 14.6"/15.4"
Just throwing this out there, do as u please, i have 2 demo 9s both medium 1 with a Bos Ndee (similar to a 66) that isnt as steep as you would think, and 1 with a fox 40 flat crowns all the way up, and im pretty sure that should be slack enough for you