Quantcast

New chain

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have the Park Tool chain stretch too and its telling my the chain is nearing 1. You guys have any experience changing chain only to get more life out of cassette and chain rings? Is it already too late?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Road bikes don't have the same problems with regards letting the chain stretch and then having skipping problems when the chain is replaced, in my experience. I've let mine get past 1 with no adverse effects on the cassette or rings after the chain was changed. That said, I wouldn't recommend doing it; I just replace my chains when it gets to 1 and have yet to wear a cassette to the point of skipping.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Road bikes don't have the same problems with regards letting the chain stretch and then having skipping problems when the chain is replaced, in my experience. I've let mine get past 1 with no adverse effects on the cassette or rings after the chain was changed. That said, I wouldn't recommend doing it; I just replace my chains when it gets to 1 and have yet to wear a cassette to the point of skipping.
In my experience, anything getting to 1 will skip, especially in the one gear that people push on flats. Doesn't matter if it's a MTB or road bike. However, sometimes you can get away with it - I usually just replace the chain, and if it skips badly, do the cassette and necessary chainrings right afterward.