Quantcast

New Cromo XC bike needs lighter bits

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
I just a got a new frame custom built for me from a chap called Jeff from www.kiwibikes.co.nz It is built with Columbus Zona Cromolly tubing and weighs around 1800grams.

I have just built the bike up with bits from my old 05 Giant XTC2, but I am not as happy with the overal weight as I thought I would be.

I am thinking that perhaps the wheelset may be a bit too heavy but am not sure what to replace it with and will I loose any weight on replacing other parts.

Just wondering what you guy/gals thoughts on what I can do

my spec list is

Custom Zona Columbus Tubing Frame
05 Rockshox Reba Race 85mm
Easton EA50 bars, seatpost and stem
Juicy 5 Disks
Deore Hubs on Mavic 117 rims
XT Hollowtech 2 cranks
Sram PG950 cassette, X9 shifters and rear deraileur
Deore front deraileur
XTR cables

and a picture Here

ps I weigh around 80kgs

ps i don't want to spend lots of money

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Go with a XTR cassette, save you 100 grams. Also get a Devo saddle, another 100 grams there.

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
Chris King hubs are probably out of my price range and the hubs would be the only thing I would need to replace, would need to do the rims too, spokes etc too

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Those hubs are pretty weighty; about 1.5 pounds for the hubs alone.

You can drop about a quarter pound by switching to Onyx hubs (can be found on ebay for 100 per set) or you can probably drop about a half a pound by going with WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs.

You can drop more weight by picking some nice light tires and moving to carbon bars and seatpost.

Definitely look at your tire selection first though.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Those hubs are pretty weighty; about 1.5 pounds for the hubs alone.

You can drop about a quarter pound by switching to Onyx hubs (can be found on ebay for 100 per set) or you can probably drop about a half a pound by going with WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs.

You can drop more weight by picking some nice light tires and moving to carbon bars and seatpost.

Definitely look at your tire selection first though.
good idea laser disks are nice i have one on my trials bike there light and strong

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Everyone has pretty much covered it. Tires, wheels and cassette first, then stem, post, and bars. Avoid King hubs if you want light and wait for it .... here comes the spammy part ... you can't get lighter rims than our ZTR Olympics. From where you're starting, dropping weight is easy without compromising durability.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wheels most definently. Even switching to a light-ish hub (Onyx, Bulb, XTR, American Classic, ZTRs, DT Swiss 240s) with some Mavic 717s will lose you quite a bit of rotating weight. Hell, even XTs to 717s would drop a ton of rotating weight and not set you back much. The M760 XT cassete (new version) is quite light, and nowhere nearly as spendy as an XTR, but their durability comes into question. Other thing's the saddle...Selle Italia Flite is a comfy, light choice, or if you don't value your ass, an SLR will be your ticket. Keep in mind they're both pretty expensive...Your saddle is one place where I wouldn't be cheap cause you want to be light, you will pay a hefty toll. Also, tires. Tires are tricky, depends on the terrain you ride and your style. Just make sure to go tubeless.

Why are y'all suggesting King bits? He said he doesn't want it to be too expensive, and I think what I'M suggesting is pretty pricey.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
blue said:
Wheels most definently. Even switching to a light-ish hub (Onyx, Bulb, XTR, American Classic, ZTRs, DT Swiss 240s) with some Mavic 717s will lose you quite a bit of rotating weight. Hell, even XTs to 717s would drop a ton of rotating weight and not set you back much. The M760 XT cassete (new version) is quite light, and nowhere nearly as spendy as an XTR, but their durability comes into question. Other thing's the saddle...Selle Italia Flite is a comfy, light choice, or if you don't value your ass, an SLR will be your ticket. Keep in mind they're both pretty expensive...Your saddle is one place where I wouldn't be cheap cause you want to be light, you will pay a hefty toll. Also, tires. Tires are tricky, depends on the terrain you ride and your style. Just make sure to go tubeless.

Why are y'all suggesting King bits? He said he doesn't want it to be too expensive, and I think what I'M suggesting is pretty pricey.
Good suggestions.

Definitely the wheels. At least consider a new hubset and relacing the wheels. The EA50 parts are heavy, as are your brakes (though they work very well and upgrading would be pricey).

Blue is right on though with parts. Look into some Bontrager bits, you will find them lighter and reasonably priced and plenty strong.

The Ito

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
blue said:

thanks for the info, I used to have an SLR seat on my road bike and found it pretty comfy but I guess it would be a different story on a mtb bike so will check out a Selle Italia Flite. Thinking 717 rims, what are your thoughts with lacing them to some Hope XC hubs?

Ito you say my brakes are heavy, what would you suggest that would be a good alternative that are lighter?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Which Hope hubs? They're all not too heavy and good choices. Personally I'd take some Bulbs. If the SLR felt good on your road bike, chances are it wouldn't be much worse on the MTB. Saddles are a personal choice...some people are right at home on a 130 gram slice of kevlar (like myself), whereas others may cry at the sight. Guess it's just ass differences.

The brakes aren't THAT heavy, not compared to other XC hydros...I'd stay with them. They're reliable, solid, and the only economic replacement would be to go with Avid mechanicals, and those are sooo much worse than the Jizzy 5's you've got.

Also, what Ito said...EA50 stuff weighs a ton. If you don't mind getting made fun of ;), Bonty does make some light, cheap stuff.

One other thing: stay away from Bontrager wheels.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DaveW said:
I'd change the x9 for x.0 triggers, and the rockshox for talas but other than that all good. :thumb:
TALAS would be pushing 4 lbs, the Reba weighs 3.5...and performs just as well.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
blue said:
TALAS would be pushing 4 lbs, the Reba weighs 3.5...and performs just as well.

Nah sorry I just don't rate the Reba.... I tried them but no, the fox was better feeling travel. But that said fork choice is just a personal thing based on rider style and terrain. what suits me might not suit you or Vert.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Really? I had a Float, sold it, and got a Reba Team (purely on weight/Motion Control), and it felt just as buttery as the Fox. I was kind of amazed that it felt so good for being so cheap. However, seeing as how it was a hideous neon yellow and I'm getting a new frame, I sold it and bought an F100RLT...not as plush :(

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DaveW said:
Possible I had a dud fork off course, but I really noticed a difference over stutter bumps, braking bumps and gravel roads.
I blame the fact that you live below the equator...you know...toilet water draining backwards phenomena. :oink:

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
While I haven't ridden Talas, Float or F80's I have heard that the Reba has a very similar feel to that of the fox forks

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
yep replacing the wheels, tyres, cassette, bars, stem and seatpost, should loose around 3lbs or more :)