Quantcast

New Custom Helmet in Progress

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
So...I'm getting a new helmet this year since my team has said my old pinky isn't safe anymore :( I'm having the same artist do the work. Here's the work in progress. I'll keep posting pics. It's cool to see the different steps. I gave her creative freedom - just asked for 2 things on there - tatoo symbol, and "Ride Like a Girl" script. I looove what she's doing with it. I can't wait to see the finished product! She says the pics don't do it justice - it's also sparkly.

Attachments

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
stephanie said:
:rofl: :rofl:

seriously, though, i really like the whole helmet! nice ideas and the paint is coming out great. do you live on the west coast or east coast? just wondering if i'd ever have a glimpse of the finished product in person.
Thanks! Yeah, she had the ideas, I just chose the color and the symbols. I live in the east...may do some races in the west. We'll see.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
mohshee said:
That is so awesome! I just got an airbrush and was thinking of doing my own helmet. I love the pink flames!
mohshee...i just went to your website, and i LOVE your work...it is so creative and colorful. just wanted to tell you that i've always admired artists (or at least those with a creative side). i, like you, studied science (bio), like to dabble in arty stuff (very casually), and ride. we actually sound a lot alike. good luck in your riding ventures, and stick with the dh thing!

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
stephanie said:
mohshee...i just went to your website, and i LOVE your work...it is so creative and colorful. just wanted to tell you that i've always admired artists (or at least those with a creative side). i, like you, studied science (bio), like to dabble in arty stuff (very casually), and ride. we actually sound a lot alike. good luck in your riding ventures, and stick with the dh thing!

I just went too. Your work is awesome! I'm sure if you paint your own helmet it will be amazing.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
wow! thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty new to the whole bike-as-subject-matter for my art, but I'm diggin' it! I'm working on a few downhill scenes right now. We just started this little studio in TX, and it's slow going, but fun.

Stephanie, that is awesome that you are a science chick too!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
mohshee said:
wow! thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty new to the whole bike-as-subject-matter for my art, but I'm diggin' it! I'm working on a few downhill scenes right now. We just started this little studio in TX, and it's slow going, but fun.

Stephanie, that is awesome that you are a science chick too!
Yep, degree in bio, credentialed to teach bio and chem to high schoolers (my current job).

I just wish I had gone right through to grad school and gotten it over with. Now, I'm going back (one year program, still going to work) to get my Master's...let the fun begin!

I really like your bike art, though to be truthful, I like it all. Do you sell prints? I would buy some in a heartbeat...

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
yup. we have prints for all the bike art stuff (but none of the non-biking stuff just yet)...Both matted and unmatted (a little more expensive for matted, but they look really nice and it's cheaper then getting it done at a frame shop). We also just got some t-shirts made too and are expecting a few more with these designs:

the shop: http://www.wickedchickenz.com/store/storeIndex.html

I am almost done with grad school, and while I'm glad I did it, I am really tired of it. And I still have no idea what I want to do with myself when I am officially done (other then ride my bike :) -- Chili Challenge is going to be my first big DH race!! -- super pumped)

Going to try painting my helmet this weekend! Hopefully it'll be an ounce as cool as this pink one!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
wow! you have a new fan...i'm going to go shopping!:love:

that's awesome that you're going to do the chile challenge...i've never gone, but everyone i know who has absolutely loves it. i used to live in az, and it was so much closer then that i should have gone.

are you going to do ds/4x or dh? or both?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I'm wearing the women's medium. I have kind of a long waist (I'm about 5'9") -- so the shirt is a little short on me, but fits well in the boobs :)

I'll be racing DH and 4x. I'm a little nervous but can't wait!! (our studio is actually going to be a small sponsor for the race too!!) I race a lot of xc, and did one local DH race last year on my xc bike, but I didn't have much technical skill then.

I had a weird dream about the angel fire 4x course last night -- I was at the start gate and I couldn't get clipped in and there was mud everywhere and lots of people yelling at me to just go barefoot.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
i decided to go with the small (because i'm short 5'4" and short waisted). i just placed my order :) i'm going to give the promo prints to my 4 good friends, my riding buddies. i'm sure they are going to love them.:love:

it's funny...4x skeebs me out a bit. i've only done one 4x race (at mammoth for national championships). i qualified first, and during the race stacked it up in the first turn (and caused 1 girl to crash and another to run me over). dual slalom is much more my style, but i'm going to conquer 4x at some point. dh is my favorite race, though. i just upgraded so i'll be racing against a whole bunch of new people. we did sea otter about 3 weeks ago and will be going to the first national next weekend. i will actually be doing 4x there (since I know the course and it's close enough to bring 2 bikes).

i wouldn't worry too much about your dream meaning anything bad...it just shows that you are thinking about the event, and priming yourself mentally for it. i'm sure someone out there has an analysis of the whole 'go barefoot' part...maybe that could have some significance (or not)?! i saw the pics of you riding the banshee, and you look rock solid on the bike, so i know you'll do well at dh.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
thanks for the encouragement! (I just sent you a PM, Stephanie, too).

I think DH will be stronger for me then 4x. We have one 4x course out here in Austin (i think the only one in the whole state), and the dirt terrain out here turns rock hard upon being baked in the sun, so the course is hard and fast and painful. I'm a little less confident with the jumps in 4x then I am with catching air in DH. It seems more natural on the DH course. Racing should be fun. (I feel like I should have started another thread! -- I haven't meant to take the glory away from the custom helmet :) )

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
mohshee said:
thanks for the encouragement! (I just sent you a PM, Stephanie, too).

I think DH will be stronger for me then 4x. We have one 4x course out here in Austin (i think the only one in the whole state), and the dirt terrain out here turns rock hard upon being baked in the sun, so the course is hard and fast and painful. I'm a little less confident with the jumps in 4x then I am with catching air in DH. It seems more natural on the DH course. Racing should be fun. (I feel like I should have started another thread! -- I haven't meant to take the glory away from the custom helmet :) )
don't worry...threads evolve. this should become the "creativity/art appreciation" thread :)

isn't it funny about how you can feel so comfortable on the dh bike and then so squirrely on 4x?! i'm having major issues switching back and forth between dh and xc! i feel all messed up on the xc hardtail, especially when i don't ride it very frequently. the body position of dh is so much more comfortable (and forgiving) than most others. and, it seems so much easier to manipulate your body position in dh just because the seat isn't so high, the cockpit is smaller, etc.

i'm with you on that one:)

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Thanks. Yeah, it's a Troy Lee. Here's the finished product. Pictures don't do it justice, at all. I got the helmet last night and I was in awe. It's so amazing - sparkly, shiny, wow. It's increidible. I don't want to fall and scratch it. Thank you Tana!

Attachments

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
so I started my custom helmet! Airbrushing is nuts! But I hope I can get it done in time for Angel Fire so I'll be styling! ... I'm thinking of maybe doing girlie colors (b/c I never have any girlie colors and I'm ok with girlie colors, within reason). I'm thinking baby-blue (I love blue) as a base. I'll have to post pictures this weekend, once it actually starts looking foto-worthy :rolleyes:

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
mohshee said:
so I started my custom helmet! Airbrushing is nuts! But I hope I can get it done in time for Angel Fire so I'll be styling! ... I'm thinking of maybe doing girlie colors (b/c I never have any girlie colors and I'm ok with girlie colors, within reason). I'm thinking baby-blue (I love blue) as a base. I'll have to post pictures this weekend, once it actually starts looking foto-worthy :rolleyes:
yay! keep us updated with the pics (and the process)!

baby blue is awesome!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
stephanie said:
yay! keep us updated with the pics (and the process)!

baby blue is awesome!
Here is her progress so far:

The original helmet (gently used :))

The base color laid down:

The first bit of detail:

Hopefully she can finish it up tomorrow.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
A bit more progress this morning:

Rufous still needs to be outlined in Pink

For her first try I think it's coming along pretty nicely. Looks like it could be the helmet for a member of G-Force.