Quantcast

New DS & DH run being built now @ CR

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for the pics comment.
I'll be in Fontana this weekend, doing that clinic. I'll go pack it and stuff next week. This week is really busy with finals and stuff.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Yes Saturday and Sunday, work from 8-12 and then ride.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and prayers sent Evan's way. His last test came out great and showed no signs of the feared reflux in his bladder. He's going home later today!

Hope to see you all on New Years Day!

So is there a head count on the trail work crew this weekend?

mh

TJMX133

Chimp
May 3, 2006
santa barbara
may or may not go on the weekend. already have plans but still a possibility. For sure new years day I am going. Thanks Mike for the info update!!!

traver

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
so, is the plan to keep the courses open for use after the Nationals? I know there were plans floated to charge but has that ever developed into something? It would seem so if there are going to be two DH courses.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
so, is the plan to keep the courses open for use after the Nationals? I know there were plans floated to charge but has that ever developed into something? It would seem so if there are going to be two DH courses.
Yes the place is now known as the Stump Grinder Dirt Club or the SGDC. In addition to the miles of XC single track (with many more miles laidout) there will be 2 DH runs (with 2 more planned bringing the total to 4 DH runs), motos are burning the new DH run as I write you on my laptop from the SGDC. There already exists the NEMA Dual Slalom Course. We plan to build a pump track and someday a BMX track.

The SGDC will open on Sunday June 1st. The club will be open almost every Sat. and Sunday, and open from 3 PM to ? every Wed. for SGDC members. There are two ways to ride here. Keep in mind that this is private property, and we have to pay to ride here and to expose the ranch to liability.

1) Don't be a paid member and pay a daily non-member gate fee, something like $30 a head, $10 per head camping on Sat. nights.

2) Join the the SGDC for $300 annually, pay $5 gate fees on Sat. & Sun., get the club clothing, enewsletter, special family rates, discounts at club sponsors and at SG Prod. events, free camping on Saturday nights, every member can have one guest for $15 a head each day. Part of the membership fee is to contribute 15 hours of trail work annually, however there will be a buy out option for those of you who don't want to help build the place or just can't

The big thing here is that the only other trail users beside mountain bikers are the cattle, no hikers.

That is it in a nut shell, still working out all the details. We know where our insurance is coming from, and our clothing (XC Voler DH NEMA).

The funny thing is I didn't expect the great response I have gotten from people, we already have a list of over 40 people who can't wait to join. I fully expected there to be a bunch of naysayers ... but not really that many so far. Those that feel I'm cashing in on the sport instead of providing an opportunity to grow the sport, can well, chose not to support the club.

We'll have a web page up sometime in January.

Hecky

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
I forgot, so this $5 day on New Years is just an open invite to get people up here to see what we're building, its an opportunity to ride here. Hope everyone can make it!

Thanks.

Hecky:busted:

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
As I write this motos are burning in the new DH route, so while there will be very few features on it, it will be ridable on New Years Day! The DS course as well as the old DH course, could use some sprucing up. So the SGDC will be open tomorrow, Sunday for trail work. Show up at 8 or 8:30, work on the gravity features, then ride until 4 PM, for free. Bring your own tools.

Hope to see a bunch of you gravity riders! :clapping:

Remember there is nothing like not having to slow down for anything but yourself ... that is what the SGDC is all about, conflict free riding, the way it should be!

MH

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
New Years Day Ride at the Ranch final numbers:

163 riders decided to show up and pay $5 to ride. This is a statement. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SHOWED UP! We had people from Corona, Riverside, SLO and even Santa Cruz! Most people were from the 805. We even had people from Bakersfield and the Central Valley.

We sold our first Stump Grinder Dirt Club Memberships as well. One Full Adult Membership ($300 +16 Trail Work Hours) to Paul Horenberger aka "2TurnersNotEnough" & one Full Adult Membership plus a Trail Work buyout option ($400) to Brian Kiniry. Brian will get SGDC Plate #1 and Paul will receive plate #2. The sooner you join the lower your number!

So you ask what does this get them as SGDC Members?

STUMP GRINDER DIRT CLUB

Membership Benefits

v Access to The Stump Grinder Dirt Club private mountain bike riding area, located just north of Los Olivos almost every Saturday and Sunday from 9AM to 5PM for only $5 per day
v Free camping on Saturday nights
v Annual Membership starting June 1st, 2008
v Access to the SGDC almost every Wednesday from 3PM to 9PM
v Access to the SGDC for monthly Full Moon Rides and other special events
v 50% Discounted gate fees rate for member guests, limit 2 per day and each visitor can only visit 3 times (Non-member Daily gate rate is $30 per day)
v 25% Discounted family Annual Membership fees
v Children under 11 of SGDC members allowed in for free, spouses who don’t ride as well.
v Endurance riders receive one XC style Club Clothing Kit (1 Bib Short & Jersey) from Voler
v Gravity riders receive one DH style Club Clothing Kit from NEMA
v Monthly emailed newsletter outlining days of operation, special events and trail work days
v Have a say in the trail designing help build this mountain bike specific trail network
v Discounted fees for Stump Grinder Production mountain bike races such as the Santa Ynez Valley Classic and the 24 Hours of Chamberlin Ranch
v Discounts at club sponsors
v Club parties and social gatherings
v Ride on the ever growing number of trails that at this date include a 12 mile XC course, several spur XC trails, 2 DH runs, the NEMA Dual Slalom Course.
v In the near future ride on the additionally planed DH runs #3 & #4, the pump track, and several beginner level trails. We plan to eventually build a BMX track here as well.
v This is the big reason to become a member … Ride in a 100% conflict free zone with nobody to worry about but yourself, no hikers, no runners, no horses, ever.

You ask, where does the money go?

One half, $150 of each paid membership goes to the owners.
One half, $150 of each paid membership goes to the SGDC, out of this $70-$90 will go to buying member clothing, this leaves $60-$80 per membership to go into the kitty to make improvements, and to maybe pay the staff (Me, Drew, Gambo, and Nils).
One half, $15 of every Visitor Gate Fee goes to the property owners.
One half, $15 of every Visitor Gate Fee goes to the SGDC kitty.
One third, $5 of each Member Guest Fee goes to the property owners.
One third, $5 of each Member Guest Fee goes to the SGDC kitty.
One third, $5 of each Member Guest Fee goes to USA Cycling for insurance.
100% of any Visitor Camping Fee, $20 per night, goes to the SGDC Kitty.
100% of the $5 gate fee goes to USA Cycling for insurance.
100% of any Trail Work buyout options will go to the SGDC kitty for improvements.

The property owners make $60K plus annually from the operation of a Motocross Track on their land. They wants to eventually see $30k Annually from mountain biking. That is nothing to expose themselves like this, we should all be thankful for them allowing us to build trails and features on their land.

As you can see, it's not the money that I'm doing this for.

I'm doing this because it's time. I hope to see the website up soon.

Hecky.

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
It's all done, complete with temp irrigation flags as gates, until I can muster up the $$$ to buy $2,000 in gates and another $600 for custom panels ... the only source I've found is World Cup Supply, is there another source out there?

We will post photos as soon as my webmaster gets the new ones from today up. mtnbrider is supposed to put up some pics too.

Thanks again to NEMA for sposnoring the build.

Thinking of a warm up DS and DH weekend prior to Sea Otter ...
it's kind of ghetto, but check out the use of traffic pylons for gates at the '07 crankworx DS.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAI_lC6jxc&NR=1

Great event on New Years, Thanks.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Yo Pat get out there and work the courses after this rain, little man! Cool picks, too bad you didn't get pics of the XC riders, and little kids out there on thier bikes .. maybe next time.

I'll be schedulling some trail work days at the end of the month!

MH

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Great job guys! I look forward to getting out there someday. It's a huge step in the right direction to get a permanent track for Slalom/DH. Make sure you document how it was done so you can go straight to any city with a plan that works. It would be nice if you could franchise!!

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Awesome job on all the work done so far guys! I'm stoked to see a crowd as dedicated as you guys, to help grow gravity racing in SoCal.

Patrick

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Awesome job on all the work done so far guys! I'm stoked to see a crowd as dedicated as you guys, to help grow gravity racing in SoCal.

Patrick

THANKS! So this next weekend we're going to have two trail work days, with equal workforces doing time on both the NEW DH ROUTE (needs a lot of features built, we have tree rounds and 3 tons of broken concrete slab to use up!) and the XC trails.

On Saturday Erick from NEMA will be leading the charge on the NEW DH Route and Tony (Gambo) will be leading the charge on the XC. Then on Sunday I'll be around to designate trail work leaders. So the way this works is that if you show up and work, really work on the trails between 8 AM and 12 PM, then you can ride from 12 - 4 PM.

So all you local 805 monkeys plan your weekend now! Hope that you can make it. And if your out of the area and want to be here contact me and we could work out camping for you maybe. Please bring your own tools, water, food and your riding stuff.

Thx,

MH :busted: