Quantcast

New DV Camcorder VS. New Laptop

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Right now being an amateur film maker, I'm at the crossroads where I need to upgrapde. I've been running FCP studio off my underpowered macbook and I know I need to step up to a MBP to run the Final Cut software smoothly. For now I've just been using imovie for the simplisticness of it, but hate it after using Final Cut.
On the other hand my JVC MiniDV isn't the best either. The quality of footage isn't bad, but really seems to diminish whenever I capture it. So I was thinking of upgrading to a a HV20 or HV30, or something similar in quality and price.
Any input is appreciated:thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
stay away from the cheaper Canons....actually stay from all of the Canon camcorders. (arent those models really old too?)

look into a Pana, Sony and JVC in that order.

ive posted a ton of posts before on which cam to get, but to K.I.S.S., read above

Last edited:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
stay away from the cheaper Canons....actually stay from all of the Canon camcorders. (arent those models really old too?)

ive posted a ton of posts before on which cam to get, but to K.I.S.S., read above
Pana as is in Panasonic I suppose?
I was looking at the Panasonic AG-DVX100B
and really liked it minus the lack of hd capabilites
the hv30 is from 2008 and the hv 40 just came out but
the price of 500 for an HV30 w/ HD vs. 1300+for a good Pana is hard to beat
But, I'm open to all suggestions, so let me know whats legit:thumb::thumb:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the HV30/HV40 is not even in the same ballpark at the DVX100....like not even in the same sport. granted the Canons are high def, but they are still crap in comparison to that Pana you mentioned.

are you looking to spend only $500 like you found the HV30 for? if you give me a max price point, then i could give you some recommendations.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
the HV30/HV40 is not even in the same ballpark at the DVX100....like not even in the same sport. granted the Canons are high def, but they are still crap in comparison to that Pana you mentioned.

are you looking to spend only $500 like you found the HV30 for? if you give me a max price point, then i could give you some recommendations.
Max I'd like to spend is around 750, but when I get up in that money anyways I mights as well throw down a bit more for something really nice, But anything under 750 would be a big plus.