Quantcast

New Endurpo Bike - RFX?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kind of sick of the soggy pedaling of my FSR E29 now, but much more than that, it's an M and it's just a bit too small and the more I do longer rides on it, the more I hurt from being cramped. Having a L hardtail just makes it worse, because I get to feel all nice and stretched out on it. Got in a nice 44 mile ride on my E29 a few days ago, but ran into AZ clay-mud that was so bad it jammed my wheels, toasted derailleur and crank bearings, somehow a tooth behind the crank arm is missing, and the mud and vacation generally beat the crap out of my bike. It seems like all of a sudden all the parts are falling apart, as compared to a month back in CO. If I'm going to invest in a bunch of new parts...well, you know the rest.

So, thinking about a carbon RFX. Would like to keep the weight down, would like to have decent pedaling/acceleration that doesn't become a soggy couch when pedaling uphill, and I was definitely happy with the reliability and support of my previous turners.

I like 29er wheels on my E29 with the geometry it has, but there still seems to be a vacuum of 150-160mm travel 29ers with decent geometry. WFO9 is still a bit long, heavy, BMC trailfox seems unattainable on this continent, pretty much all others are 140mm or less, which if I'm going to compromise a bit, I'd still like to get carbon (light) and away from the ole FSR design. I'm willing to compromise and go 27.5 wheels too, but definitely nothing 26.

So any others to consider? Not really looking for Boost, as I could re-use my fairly-new 142 hope on the RFX as well as my dropper. Mainly looking at carbon due to weight savings. Normal shock mounts/can take coil. 150-160mm travel.

Pivot (boost)
Ibis?
Other?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
29r - Canfield Riot = 140mm and142 spacing, but alloy
6fidy - Knolly Carbon Warden = 150mm and 142 spacing.
6fidy - Knolly Delirium 165mm and 142 spacing, but again alloy.

The Kona Process line have a couple of interesting alloy bikes in both 6fidy and 29r

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
BMCs are relatively easy to get right now, it seems like. Well, it seems like people aren't buying them- I've seen multiple on ebay and pinkbike and they don't seem to be moving. There's a medium on ebay right now for about half price, brand new.

I think otherwise you're SOL. Long travel 29ers are kind of still in the water with the success of the enduro29. Maybe a banshee prime? That's only 135 though. Trek will probably release their 29er DH bike soon, which might push some people back into long travel.

It's funny, I was just thinking about this as an idea for messing around with a 29er DH bike. Maybe an enduro with a dorado, or a BMC with a longer stroke shock and a dorado. I saw plenty of people over at thunder rocking shorter travel bikes, including the new yeti faux DH bike, an sb6 with a 40 on the front.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I heard of a bike that is exactly what you're looking for being tested in plain sight here in wagon wheel country. I think the enduro 29 is kind of stand alone at the moment, but my guess is that we'll start seeing more competition soon.

In the meantime, I've uncovered these spy shots of what appear to be patent applications and technical drawings of said bike:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

:D

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Looks like you might want to put Nukeproof on your radar.. New models look pretty enticing!
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/nukeproof-mega-275-290-first-ride-2015.html

I had a nukeproof Scalp dh frame for a season. It was a high quality frame, i have been a fan of the brand since..

275 Details:
• 27.5" wheels
• 4 spec options or frameset
• 160mm travel
• 65° head angle with a 160mm fork
• 435mm chainstay length
• ISCG 05 tabs and S-Type front derailleur mount.
• Sizes: S, M, L, XL
• Weight: Mega PRO 28.6lbs (claimed)
• MSRP: £1999 / $3199 USD to £3799 / $5999 USD
• Frameset: £1349 / $2099 USD
Seems reasonable enough, although I'm wary of brand support and longevity. Will this brand be around in 3 years? Will they be supporting the bikes they made 3 years prior? I don't want another "one-to-two-season-frame" before it's all clapped out. IME, cheaper mass-produced bikes don't tend to have the thoughtfulness designed into their pivots and hardware, it's more of a "it'll hold together for a few seasons" approach, at which point it takes an unreasonable amount of resources and time to keep the bike going. Plus, I'm trying to move away from FSR (horst link) suspension, which this is. Although not every one reacts the same, the 5 HL bikes I've owned were all very spongy and like a wet-mattress up steep hills. Pedal them on flat ground and they feel fine and pretty snappy, head up and the suspension starts driving into itself due to your torque, which just doesn't happen when enough anti-torque to counter this is designed into the bike. One of the more recent issues is due to 1x cranksets, which generate less anti-torque due to having a bigger front "gear", so on many bikes that were intended to have at least a double up front, using 1x results in the effect I described above, or magnifies it. Most all of them will tell you it "will work", but sometimes the effect is less than desirable due to laziness on their part (failure to re-design for 1x).

290 Details:
• 29" wheels
• 3 spec options or frameset
• 150mm travel
• 66° head angle with a 150mm fork
• 450mm chainstay length
• ISCG 05 tabs and S-Type front derailleur mount.
• Sizes: S, M, L, XL
• Weight: Mega PRO 28.8lbs (claimed)
• MSRP: £2599 / $4149 USD to £3799 / $5999 USD
• Frameset: £1349 / $2099 USD
450mm chainstays? Why? 29ers are already more stable than 26ers without extending the chainstays, so why does it need to be more more more stable? Fing ridiculous IMO. They need to be slapped hard for making that.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
oh yeah I forgot about the no-mo-fsr part.. My bad.

I thought the same thing about the chainstay length on 29er.. But the review guy said that it was a great ride, and im willing to bet my 4 grand on that!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Other thing is mud, we get a lot of mud, not stick-to-everything-in-sight clay like I had last week, because I was in AZ then, but up here we get a lot of sloppy stuff that wears out bearings rather fast. As long as they are high quality/easily serviceable, great, but I'm hesitant to go with a Taiwan/Chinese catalog-style bike for this reason, even if some of the other design elements appear to be there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
just buy the RFX, cost aside it scratches every itch
I think so. The new Mojo HD3 is close though, about the only deciding factors are the fact that the seatpost is different than my current and at it's price the frame doesn't appear to come with downtube bashguard or headset. Close.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
-+
Nukeproof has been around for a while.. They have reinvented the brand a few times though..

But James Bathea AND Sam Hill. bro, seriously...
Seems like it's just the name, which was recycled by a new company that has nothing to do with the old one?

This is what I think of when I think of NP:
nukeproof 001 small.jpg
nukeproof_reactor3.jpg

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I love my old school 26" HD, and my bike before that was an 26" Enduro. The HD is a bit better in pretty much every regard, altho bearing life hasn't been as good as I'd like. You might also need to look at an xl HD3. My large Enduro felt a touch bigger than my xl HD, built up with the same parts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hate! That cantilever fork Bullshit!

I broke my collar bone on a Amp research fork. Got a little front heavy and both fork tubes bent/collapsed and threw me to the earth... total pos!
I think at the very end, it was a RS Coupe Delux coil shock in the headtube on those nukeproof bikes. Hey, looks like they were pioneering tapered headtubes :D

Im going for the RFX, was pretty close with the Mojo HD3 though, RFX is just slightly more aggressive and the local dealer, who worked with DT in the pre-turner bikes days when they worked at Amp, said his HD3 bearing life leaves a little to be desired. HD3 a little pricier too.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
NIce choice! I love having bikes that not everybody and their trail dog rides too!!

Post up pics of that beotch when you get it.

edited: Just read the pinkbike review again on the rfx. Dayum, there is a lot to like about that bike!!
Like--everything, about it! Badass Dood, stoked for ya!

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I think they're going to need many more of those Wall $treet handouts before that happens.
Or perhaps Jesus will come again and his carbon kingdom will have no end...
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting a crabon megatrail was the path to rapture, but you could just wrap an (unrideable) aluminum megatrail with faux crabon weave stickers and attain enlightenment. Maybe even use some of the extra stickers to cover the scale readout so you wouldn't even register the unholy obesity of an aluminum frame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
please post up your impressions when you get it, i have my heart set on one for the '17 season :p
Probably won't ride till at least spring, I'll be building it up over winter and amassing parts. It's fatbike season now. May even send the shock for tuning, don't know yet...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting a crabon megatrail was the path to rapture, but you could just wrap an (unrideable) aluminum megatrail with faux crabon weave stickers and attain enlightenment. Maybe even use some of the extra stickers to cover the scale readout so you wouldn't even register the unholy obesity of an aluminum frame.
Maybe Race Face has some of those old Next carbon stickers? Those made things faster back in the 2000s.

next.JPG

Last edited: